Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2019 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A light north-easterly breeze with persistent light rain is making it feel distinctly fresh this morning a typical British August really with an early autumnal feel 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild Spring , hot summer , crisp autumn and snowy cold winters
2 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Morning everyone. :oldsmile:
Well today is the day that it has finally happened! Today is the first time this year that I have felt and seen autumn pop its head over the metaphorical parapet. :yahoo:
Firstly, when I came out of the house this morning at 05:00, the first thing I heard was the autumn song of the Robin... Natures sound track to gathering mists, ripening fruits, and shortening days if ever there was one.
Secondly, I had to clear the heavy dew and dampness off the car windows for the first time... Always a good sign the autumn is very close by... At this time of year anyway. 
And thirdly, whilst driving into work I saw the gentle, mellow mists just hanging over the fields, and starting to spread out over the lanes... Very autumnal! :oldgrin:

Now don't get me wrong, I know its only early August, and I'm fully aware that summer has probably got one or two nasty surprises and tricks left up it sleeves, but for an hour or so this morning I felt, and saw the promised land... And it felt wonderful. :clap::drinks:

7A97379A-A5C4-4C37-8303-804A40DEAD51.jpg

ED006A9D-874A-4A0F-8B56-CC74563727EE.jpg

Beautiful ! I always look forward to your lovely photos in this thread. The first glimpse of Autumn certainly felt very present this morning  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Funny but had my first pang of Autumn yesterday morning first thing. It just felt colder. The trees leaves are now at their darkest green, blackberries are out in force. Autumn is my favourite time of year so bring it on! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Was up early and surprised to see a lot of mist hanging in the trees of Esher common before 6am looked pretty and dare I say it a bit like autumn !!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Overnight low of 17c here and currently partly cloudy, and 22.8c  doesn’t feel autumnal at all where I am I’m still in shorts, roll on cooler evenings 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
On 02/08/2019 at 10:17, Letitsnowyorkshire said:

Beautiful ! I always look forward to your lovely photos in this thread. The first glimpse of Autumn certainly felt very present this morning  

Thank you for your kind comments @Letitsnowyorkshire :oldgood:
I'm on an earlies shift again all next week, so I'm really hoping I see and feel this again. :oldsmile:

If I get chance later on today, I might have a look at what the Canadian Cansips model is forecasting for this coming autumn... Deep down I'm hoping for more of what i saw yesterday. :oldsmile:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Funny seeing these autumn comments already. It was quite foggy early on July 23rd then became hot and sunny 32C in the afternoon.

A long way to go before autumn. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
On 02/08/2019 at 07:50, Dangerous55019 said:

Well today is the day that it has finally happened! Today is the first time this year that I have felt and seen autumn pop its head over the metaphorical parapet. :yahoo:
Firstly, when I came out of the house this morning at 05:00, the first thing I heard was the autumn song of the Robin... Natures sound track to gathering mists, ripening fruits, and shortening days if ever there was one.
Secondly, I had to clear the heavy dew and dampness off the car windows for the first time... Always a good sign the autumn is very close by... At this time of year anyway. 
And thirdly, whilst driving into work I saw the gentle, mellow mists just hanging over the fields, and starting to spread out over the lanes... Very autumnal! :oldgrin:

Now don't get me wrong, I know its only early August, and I'm fully aware that summer has probably got one or two nasty surprises and tricks left up it sleeves, but for an hour or so this morning I felt, and saw the promised land... And it felt wonderful. :clap::drinks:

7A97379A-A5C4-4C37-8303-804A40DEAD51.jpg

ED006A9D-874A-4A0F-8B56-CC74563727EE.jpg

The Promised Land indeed....for me August can be as cruel as it wants,it won't last. The heaven that is opening your front door in the morning to that sharp intake of fresh cool air awaits,can't wait. Makes one feel so much more alive. 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
2 minutes ago, markyo said:

The Promised Land indeed....for me August can be as cruel as it wants,it won't last. The heaven that is opening your front door in the morning to that sharp intake of fresh cool air awaits,can't wait. Makes one feel so much more alive. 

Morning @markyo :oldsmile:
Seconded, thrided and fourthed mate. :oldgood:

• Like 3

Posted

... And at the risk of clogging up this thread, I've just realised that this coming Wednesday is the cross quarter day of Lughnasadh (also known as Lammas), which means we'll be exactly half way between the summer solstice and the autumn equinox! ☀️?️▶️▶️:oldsmile:

• Like 2

Posted

Well as promised, here is a look at the Canadian Cansips long range model (from Tropical Tidbits) for Autumn 2019. :oldsmile:

September: This appears to show a large area of High Pressure centred just north of us here in the UK... Now I would imagine that this could bring a lot of fine, warm and settled conditions (a final burst of summer?), but with a risk of mist and fog forming overnight. 

October: Again, that High Pressure is centred to our north, but it does appear to show quite a lot of northern blocking!! ... Or should I say the startings of northern blocking! Either way, I would imagine the settled conditions to continue, but with the risk of September's mists becoming our first fog days. As for those who want an Indian Summer, well I wouldn't rule it out.... But I'd say that its also possibly that if its not foggy, then we could be getting our first touches of ground frost as well!

November: It looks like the High Pressure that model has been forecasting to be centred over us throughout September and October is finally moving further north, and Low Pressure is finally taking charge. So I would imagine that the infamous autumn storms look to finally be getting going, and giving us a wild wet and windy ole time of it! Mind you, November should be the start of the wind and rain Capital of the year! Lol 

Now I stress that I am a total amateur, and could be reading this totally wrongly, and also that this is a low resolution long range model! So Autumn 2019 could pan out like this, or it could be wildly different! Who knows? :pardon:

But I will say this... If Autumn 2019 does pan out like Cansips is forecasting, then there should be something for everyone... From that final burst of summer, to the ability to go chasing fog, that first frost of the season, or getting battered by the first of the autumn storms. Hey, lets hope its a good 'un for all of us, so that we can all enjoy Autumn 2019. :oldgood:

cansips_mslpa_global_2.png

cansips_mslpa_global_3.png

cansips_mslpa_global_4.png

• Like 3

Posted

I saw my first Daddy Long Legs of the season this morning... So there's another harbinger of autumn if ever there was! 
Plus it looks like this coming weekend we could get our first autumn storm of the season! 
Plenty of time for this to downgrade/upgrade and everything else in between... But it does now look like summer 2019 is starting to fade. ?️?️

GFSOPUK00_120_1.png

GFSOPEU00_120_1.png

• Like 6

Posted
On 02/08/2019 at 10:43, philglossop said:

Funny but had my first pang of Autumn yesterday morning first thing. It just felt colder. The trees leaves are now at their darkest green, blackberries are out in force. Autumn is my favourite time of year so bring it on! 

Tend to get my first ever so slight pang so to speak around the end of the third week or so of August around the 20th/21st, thanks largely to light levels beginning to drop markedly from there on in.. also by late August we tend to see an increasing amount of heavy dew in the morning that takes a while to clear. Cloudy wet days in late August are a harbinger to the next 6-7 months to come, and that feeling of 'taking stock of the season just gone and what lies ahead sets in', until then we have another couple of weeks or so of heady laziness.. let make the most of it!

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted

I have reached the conclusion that SSTs are an absolutely critical component in forecasting future months/seasons.

The Atlantic tripole is suggestive of a -NAO for the winter coming up, providing ENSO stays near neutral im going for a stormy Oct and increasingly colder November ...

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 02/08/2019 at 12:33, Freeze said:

Overnight low of 17c here and currently partly cloudy, and 22.8c  doesn’t feel autumnal at all where I am I’m still in shorts, roll on cooler evenings 

Still in shorts here too and while it's been a warm weekend it defintely feels more like Autumn today, mainly thick cloud, moderate south-westerly breeze and 19c, typical August weather here.

• Like 2

Posted

Had to move the shower temperature setting up to 3 this morning after about 2 weeks at 1. Our water supply temperature must have cooled significantly. I saw the first fields that have been harvested locally. That seems quite late - probably postponed by the recent heavy rains and numerous subsequent showers. I've also noticed quite a lot of trees starting to bronze slightly, too, probably brought on by the same. I collected our first lot of blackberries to make jam. Most are still green and small, though, and some stems were still in flower, so it will be a while before we have enough for the first batch.

• Like 1

Posted

First heavy dew for a long while here this morning which is a little early I think but it was also a cooler night than of late at 13.2c.

Noticed the conkers are looking ready to start dropping soon too...autumn won’t be long

• Like 2

Posted

I think my swallows have gone! :shok:
I saw about thirty of them earlier have what I thought was a practice line up on the wires, as they do at this time of year, and I didn't really think anything of it. Then after a couple of hours I noticed that there we're no swallows! 
Now I know that the swifts leave early, ours left on Saturday, which is about normal for them... But the swallows normally stay here until about early/mid September! Then the House Martins normally migrate about the same time as the swallows. 
We've still got our House Martins, but I think the swallows have already left for warmer climes!
What do they know about this coming autumn that we don't? Or is it to do with this 'autumn storm' on Friday/Saturday? :unsure2:

Posted

The time is exactly 19:19 and the cross quarter point of Lughnasadh (also known as Lammas), has just occurred! This means we are exactly half way between the summer solstice and the autumn equinox! :drinks:

• Like 3

Posted
14 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

I think my swallows have gone! :shok:
I saw about thirty of them earlier have what I thought was a practice line up on the wires, as they do at this time of year, and I didn't really think anything of it. Then after a couple of hours I noticed that there we're no swallows! 
Now I know that the swifts leave early, ours left on Saturday, which is about normal for them... But the swallows normally stay here until about early/mid September! Then the House Martins normally migrate about the same time as the swallows. 
We've still got our House Martins, but I think the swallows have already left for warmer climes!
What do they know about this coming autumn that we don't? Or is it to do with this 'autumn storm' on Friday/Saturday? :unsure2:

All of mine are still here. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

The Birds are certainly grouping up and about to embark on their journeys if my village's facebook is anything to go by. I am a great lover of the September - December period. Maybe comes from being an Autumn baby. 

Looking forward to the cooler nights and cosy evenings, not so much wind storms. Strange coming from someone who lived basically on the seafront down south, but I'd rather see a good thunderstorm. 

• Like 1

Posted

The capricious wind is staring to gust in fits and starts, yet more leaves being ripped from the trees as a result, the slate grey skies, the rain on the windows... This storm with no name is certainly giving us a taste of whats to come later in the season. :oldgrin:
... Marvellous, just marvellous. :air_kiss::oldgrin:

• Like 1

Posted

Just been out with the hound across the fields now that the 'Storm with No Name' has finally blown itself out, and there is a fair bit of green leaf litter in the fields, mainly attached to small twigs... But the one thing that has struck me this year is the sheer abundance of blackberries! It looks like an absolutely bumper crop again this year! Loads of red Lords 'n' Ladies in the hedge rows and amongst the nettles... Also there seems to be a good crop of acorns and hawberries for the birds as well! 
Natures larder seems to be filling up very nicely. :oldgood:
So naturally I've harvested a few of the ripened blackberries, and hopefully tomorrow I'll have a go at making a blackberry pie! 

So yes, I have to say that autumn 2019 is coming along very nicely in this part of the world. :oldgood:

• Like 1