Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2019 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, Bristle boy said:

Autumn hasn't started on September 1st for many years. September has evolved into a Summer month weatherwise.

But if we were to base the seasons on what it often feels like, we wouldn't have a winter and autumn would take up half of the year!

• Like 3

Posted
9 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Conkers, apples, hawthorn, sloes, blackberries, elderberry - all bursting out.

Autumn's all around us already if you know where to look.

Anyone seen a barley/wheat harvest started yet?

Not here! Just started picking raspberries a few days ago shortly after the warm weather landed. The blackberries are still 50% flowers - 3 or 4 weeks behind last year. Apples, pears and plums are tiny - looks set to be a bad year. Just picked my first tomatoes today and there are no ears to be seen forming on my corn yet. And no, I've not seen any harvesting or combines yet. Summer only just started this last week or so. Give it chance!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Hoping for the following:

Warm and humid September.  Daytime temperatures in the mid 20s with plenty of thunderstorms and some very warm nights (I'm talking 18°C+ minimums).  Pleasant evenings for having a drink in t-shirts.

Warm and dry first half of October before a descent into cooler autumnal conditions.  First half of the month seeing temperatures around the 20°C mark.  Second half of the month seeing temperatures drop to around 13°C by day with some frost at night.  Conditions mostly dry and anticyclonic with light winds.

Cool and dry November.  Maybe one or two storms but on the whole dry. Mid-month warm spell seeing temperatures approaching 18°C before a colder end of the month with the threat of snow in the north and at times even in the south.  Temperatures around 6°C by the end of the month leading on to a colder than average December (hopefully a front-loaded winter in terms of cold).

Edited by Earthshine
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

I've just been watching one of 'Gavs Weather Vids' historic videos, but this one was on the autumn of 1919 - 100 years ago!!
So I thought I'd share it with you all, as if this happens again (highly unlikely I know), but if it happened again, I dare say that this would be an autumn to suit most on here. :oldgood:

https://www.gavsweathervids.com/

https://www.gavsweathervids.com/autumn1919.html

• Like 4

Posted
20 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Saw my first Lords ‘n’ Ladies plant of the season today... Always a good harbinger of the coming of autumn. :oldgood:

961742C2-9D58-4F8E-BFD8-FBA091872E6D.jpeg

They're early !!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold & dry or cold & snow but definitely not oppresive heat and humidity
21 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

@Turnedoutniceagain.But like you I’m still waiting to see anyone starting the barley/wheat harvest. 

Winter barley harvest has started here at the foot of the Yorkshire Wolds, last week I was on the top of the Wolds and both winter wheat and barley looked almost ready. Spring barley near home is about  3 to 4 weeks away.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold & dry or cold & snow but definitely not oppresive heat and humidity
1 hour ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Wheat harvest spotted this morning in Oxfordshire.

And we're off !!!!

Soon be time for those early mornings out on the stubbles

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
7 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Wheat harvest spotted this morning in Oxfordshire.

And we're off !!!!

so Autumn has started on the 18th July?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

An autumn thread when there's still 6 weeks left of summer, and 10 weeks of summery weather still probable?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
12 minutes ago, B87 said:

An autumn thread when there's still 6 weeks left of summer, and 10 weeks of summery weather still probable?

The summer thread started in April. 

• Like 7

Posted
6 hours ago, B87 said:

That's funny, didn't see you post that in the Summer thread when that was 6 weeks before the Summer started. In fact, you were the first to post in the Summer thread when it was created!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
8 hours ago, Wynter said:

That's funny, didn't see you post that in the Summer thread when that was 6 weeks before the Summer started. In fact, you were the first to post in the Summer thread when it was created!

I didn't create that thread, plus I am more interested in the summer. Winter here is just cloudy 8-9c every day.

The summer thread was created on 24th April, and my first post in it wasn't until 28th May (page 10 of that thread).

Posted
1 hour ago, B87 said:

I didn't create that thread, plus I am more interested in the summer. Winter here is just cloudy 8-9c every day.

The summer thread was created on 24th April, and my first post in it wasn't until 28th May (page 10 of that thread).

Last years thread, the point still stands.

Edited by Wynter
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Aleman said:

Can't talk about things beforehand. It's not allowed. Christmas is not to be discussed until December 25th!

Ooops, sung a christmas ditty the other day. My bad.

Posted

I get the feeling that for this Autumn/Winter we are in for something very different. Just judging by the way the climate seems to be at the moment, I just get this niggling feeling that what is to come is going to be beyond prediction. Whether that is very cold or very mild is to be seen. But something is not quite right in the atmosphere in my humble opinion.

Edited by Wynter
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

my ideal autumn would be a cool wet September with warm October coolling from November and the first snowfall at the end of November just at the beginning of winter 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

My hopes for autumn:

September: Sunnier than average and dry.

October: Drier than average and mild.

November: Don't care because it's horrid month anyway.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted

Wheat harvest now well underway in Deepest Warwickshire. The Combines churning for 24hrs a day now to take full advantage of the weather.

Plenty of sustained heat this week should ripen the last bit of it.

• Like 1

Posted
On 20/07/2019 at 11:50, Wynter said:

I get the feeling that for this Autumn/Winter we are in for something very different. Just judging by the way the climate seems to be at the moment, I just get this niggling feeling that what is to come is going to be beyond prediction. Whether that is very cold or very mild is to be seen. But something is not quite right in the atmosphere in my humble opinion.

Completely agree.  However, I believe we are more likely to see record breaking warmth than snow.  There seems to have been a fundamental shift in the climate recently.  The models last winter were totally clueless!  Sad times IMO.

Posted
9 hours ago, Don said:

Completely agree.  However, I believe we are more likely to see record breaking warmth than snow.  There seems to have been a fundamental shift in the climate recently.  The models last winter were totally clueless!  Sad times IMO.

It's possible. It depends on a lot of factors of course. But it could swing the other way as well, with anomalous warmth in the Arctic, it could force the cold into the lower latitudes, giving us a colder than average Winter. It will be interesting for sure. Also a little concerning as well, if truth be told. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

Probably another ridiculously warm autumn like every other. 1993 was the last true cold autumn. I wouldn't regard 2012 as a particularly cold autumn especially in the frost department.

Posted
14 hours ago, Don said:

Hmm, I’m still not convinced. I can see a very cold period of weather catching us out this coming winter. Yes, mild weather will occur, but there’s still the chance for cold conditions to happen.