Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2019 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted

Another year where we approach Mid-Summer and some of us might be dreaming of that slow decent into Autumn/Winter. 

What are your thoughts for the upcoming season? Personally, like every year, I will be looking for a short continuation of the summer into September. Once we hit October though, the thoughts of hard frosts and chilly nights are the stuff of dreams. And then November... Another 2010 perhaps?

As always, I look forward to your thoughts.

P.S. Kudos for the first "this threads too early" post. The winner last year was @I remember Atlantic 252  at only 26 minutes! 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

This thread is too early.. bam 25 minutes

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

YAY!! The autumn thread! :yahoo:

Funnily enough I had my first pangs of autumn last week. 

For me personally I'd like a nice settled September (a continuation of summer?) but with those gentle mists evenings and mornings... Just to remind you that it is now autumn.

For October, noticeably cooler than September, with those gentle mists giving way to our first fog day(s) of the season, and possibly our first proper autumn storm. I wouldn't say no to a few of those days when you get that wonderful smokey, golden light that you can sometimes get in the autumn as well... I'd also like a bit of a misty and foggy Halloween as well... Just to add to the atmosphere. 

As for November... Well, it can start off where October left off, but once bonfire night has past, I think its about time that some proper autumn storms were unleashed with a vengeance! Plus a fair few frost starts as well. 

Ahh well, I can but hope. :oldrolleyes:

Anyway, lets hope that Autumn 2019 is a good 'un for us all. :oldgood:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Personally i can't start thinking about Autumn on the 11th July! To me it's still potential summer until mid-September....we've had a lot of good days here in recent years in September in the high 20s and low 30s. Autumn can be forgotten about for now!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
30 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Personally i can't start thinking about Autumn on the 11th July! To me it's still potential summer until mid-September....we've had a lot of good days here in recent years in September in the high 20s and low 30s. Autumn can be forgotten about for now!

Agree there, when holidays are over, which is 4th Sept here, then perhaps look ahead to autumn

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Counting the days now to the best season of the year,can't wait! That Autumn light and feel,perfect.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Counting the days now to the best season of the year,can't wait! That Autumn light and feel,perfect.

Seconded, thirded, and fourthed @markyo:oldgrin:

I just love the light and feel of autumn... There’s something truly magical about it. :oldgood:

... Anyway, I know it’s still very early days being as it’s almost mid July, but there is a good crop of berries which are reddening up nicely on the Rowan trees around here. :oldsmile:

A5AF4FAE-C7C9-4A42-91B8-296A5AA06AB6.jpeg

Edited by Dangerous55019
Dyslexic Fingers
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Love autumn and winter threads. Here's to a cool, frosty, foggy autumn! Not long now

• Like 4

Posted

I don’t start thinking about autumn or the descent into winter until we reach mid August, that’s usually when the seasons start to gradually shift.

But, if I’m tempted to have an early guess I’m going for a milder than average start to autumn, but with a very cold end. 

• Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Hmm, maybe 2016 gave us really warm temps, but I don’t remember too many Septembers with high 20s apart from 2011, late in the month and 2016.

But, I will take your point about the weather still being pleasant until at least mid September.

• Like 1

Posted

If you like autumn, then you'll be cheered to know that, Alaska, where it's been warm all year and roasting recently, has quite a big first snowfall modelled for around July 20th. It might not come to pass it's a strong suggestion that change not far away.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=16&ech=204&carte=1

• Like 1

Posted

No more Indian summers please. I want September and October to be like September and October this year. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I do loathe Autumn: ever-decreasing sunlight and death and decay do not a happy me make. Just about the only good points, of an Autumn, are late thunderstorms, late heatwaves or extremely early snowfalls. Other than that -- meh!

And then there are the man-made 'celebrations' to make things even worse: trick or treat and the incessant bangs from fireworks, come to mind. And, don't forget, the 'ho ho ho' season starts earlier every year, too! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrggghhh!:oldgrin:

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

I do loathe Autumn: ever-decreasing sunlight and death and decay do not a happy me make. Just about the only good points, of an Autumn, are late thunderstorms, late heatwaves or extremely early snowfalls. Other than that -- meh!

And then there are the man-made 'celebrations' to make things even worse: trick or treat and the incessant bangs from fireworks, come to mind. And, don't forget, the 'ho ho ho' season starts earlier every year, too! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrggghhh!:oldgrin:

Bah humbug... 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Can’t help but start to think about the coming Autumn season, every time I see the sight of the horse chestnuts, beech nuts, berries and apples growing on the trees...

Today is the first day where we in this part of the UK lose 2 minutes of daylight compared to the previous day, in a fortnight that accelerates to 3 minutes...time is marching on..

Edited by Carl46Wrexham
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

Can’t help but start to think about the coming Autumn season, every time I see the sight of the horse chestnuts, beech nuts, berries and apples growing on the trees...

Today is the first day where we lose 2 minutes of daylight compared to the previous day, in a fortnight that accelerates to 3 minutes...time is marching on..

Autumn might disappoint in one sense then. Have you noticed the disease around this year on fruit trees, especially apples? Talking to other gardeners, they have lots of disease and a poor yields with low numbers of small fruits. Our bramleys are having an appalling year, in particular. Our crop might be 1/4 of average and very small and not sure how free of faults yet. Fruit trees in the neighbourhood have been shedding leaves regularly since early June so it already looks autumnal where you get a few together. Rain figures suggest only slightly dry but it's all been in a couple of very wet spells with mostly very long dry spells. Early on it swung from hot to cold and back and more recently it's been very grey but not raining. It's pretty obvious the fruit trees have disliked this year's weather more than many on here!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

summer not even started here yet and people want to waffle on about Autumn which inventively will turn into a lets talk about winter thread anyway.

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

summer not even started here yet and people want to waffle on about Autumn which inventively will turn into a lets talk about winter thread anyway.

Feel free to stay in the summer thread.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I don’t think autumn is ever a season I look forward too (other than for business reasons), but I do enjoy it when it’s here! October and first half of November in particular when the colours are at their best usually.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, Wynter said:

Feel free to stay in the summer thread.

people talk more about winter than summer in the summer thread also..you just cant get away from it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

I don’t really think about Autumn until September arrives - really do enjoy the season though!

I enjoy the storms here as it’s a two minute walk down to the upper Firth of Clyde which is usually swirling around and quite mesmerising, roaring severe gales and the rain hammering off our windows on the dark evenings is bliss, our back windows look out to a forest in the foothills so once the leaves start falling we get to see some woodland animals ect ect which is always nice! 

4468AFE1-997C-471C-B754-FAAC13299893.thumb.jpeg.34ccbeacdd6b8e2bfb4d31b1152b1159.jpegFC4B6894-3A90-4B15-9420-CE953A6215C3.thumb.jpeg.3a6c2df1b011ee24c3d8917acb6be20a.jpeg

C93478BB-ABE9-4DBE-9636-625E323D4B44.thumb.jpeg.3e04a4b2b7124916a88a66ea33c20121.jpeg

Unlike @Ed Stone I look forward to Halloween and the Fireworks. (My son is 17 months old so especially looking forward to both this year!) 

Autumn is most enjoyable for me if we get a good Summer. (Warm and sunny)

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
44 minutes ago, IanR said:

Autumn is 12 months of the year anyway,  well here recently,   apart from June 2018  

Yes I can understand those who may like it cold and snowey or hot and sunny but find it difficult to think why you would wish for what we have the most,wind,cool,cloudy and wet??…..unless of course you live in the south and have no idea what weather is like in northern England especially here in the pennines where yesterday I had my 2nd day this summer above 20 deg at 21 !

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

September is a meh month to me so beyond being cool I have no major opinion.

October is often a boring month however there are those which are stormy like 2000, 2004 or 2013 to bring excitement. Equally there are those like 2016 which can produce beauty.

November is the first month that really excites me. Frost, fog and early snow are all possible as our raging storms.