Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

1st Ever Canadian StormChase

Paul Sherman

Posted

I see it has reached 100 F in western Nebraska now, southern SD is in the humid tropical air but it's not mixing much so 84/73 recent report from PHP. Front appears to be just north of SD-ND border with some development. Here's a link to visual satellite imagery for the interest of those following the chase (I've been in this country and I know you don't need a satellite image because you can see about 100 miles from the Black Hills region). 

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=13#

all the other products on this NWS svr wx mesoscale link are very good too.

-- you can see the front generating some weak cells about 40 miles north of the ND-SD border and more brewing west of Miles City MT. Rich cu fields either side of Missouri River valley in central SD (the Missouri has cut itself a pretty deep valley in the plains, and there are manmade lakes along there to add moisture). 

I remember getting hit by a vicious midnight storm in very hot weather at Pierre SD on my way west from former home in Ontario (this would be mid August of 1973), it had been 105 F in the daytime and this storm hit a campsite (luckily I was camping in a van), of course no internet, no radar, so it may have been forecast but I didn't know it was coming, and it had 80 mph gusts and big hail, lasted about ten minutes and trashed the place pretty well. 

This setup looks slightly different to what I recall of that one, although severe heat wave was in progress all across the plains and eastern states then. This evening and tonight, I would expect those cells in ND to get severe and start back building towards Buffalo SD or north of Rapid City. Some pretty good scenery from there over to Missouri River, noticed on my map there's a Lightning Butte in that region. ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Now in the upper Missouri River area. Heat and humidity is intense , air like soup

CC091A54-090A-4AB4-8E0F-DD9C44039CBC.png

03C7DC7A-2369-4B52-95E0-7CB460CD7A94.png

15721D96-65D9-456C-B960-554587A14EE3.jpeg

Edited by Jo Farrow
Heat
  • Like 1

Posted

Brutal humidity in southeast SD with dew points above 25 C, temps near 32 C. Front has set up in northeast SD and southern MN. Looks like another late developer with overnight thunderstorms pushing slowly south. Could be some prolific rainfalls given this high moisture content and slow forward motion. 

Posted

Thunderstorms this morning, early in MN with damage to trees as we set off back to SD. Asperitas cloud, (undulatas asperitas As was, now re-classified by WMO.) heading back to Canada Sunday  

E99E33F3-3048-451C-8ACC-E81C69ACC67D.jpeg

BB404DA4-E1E5-4D9E-9649-6381E432B2BC.jpeg

CE6414F5-9825-414C-92E5-91359FD0CB1D.jpeg

CC03560F-ADFB-4522-84E7-D32387678A4D.jpeg

E709FCE6-5A1E-4C66-A671-9DEF9F82D865.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

Storms will be building over southeast BC today and spilling out of the Rockies this evening north of Calgary. Would expect some chance of seeing action around Cochrane to Airdrie in northwest to north suburbs of Calgary by sunset. This cluster will redevelop on Wednesday in central Alberta and somewhere around Coronation to Oyen might see large hail and slight risk of tornadic cells. Will be keeping an eye out here (near BC-WA border just west of northern Idaho) for anything worth capturing this afternoon and evening as it's currently quite hot and sky is full of ACC usually a sign of later thunderstorm development over this region. 

Just to prove that we do get storms in Canada, here's a picture I took in southern Alberta in August, 2007:

IMGP0234.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, Roger J Smith said:

Storms will be building over southeast BC today and spilling out of the Rockies this evening north of Calgary. Would expect some chance of seeing action around Cochrane to Airdrie in northwest to north suburbs of Calgary by sunset. This cluster will redevelop on Wednesday in central Alberta and somewhere around Coronation to Oyen might see large hail and slight risk of tornadic cells. Will be keeping an eye out here (near BC-WA border just west of northern Idaho) for anything worth capturing this afternoon and evening as it's currently quite hot and sky is full of ACC usually a sign of later thunderstorm development over this region. 

Just to prove that we do get storms in Canada, here's a picture I took in southern Alberta in August, 2007:

IMGP0234.JPG

i have seen some really powerful storms in Alberta since i have lived here..nothing like you would see back home...trouble is the last 2 years have been pretty dry years for big storms

Posted

Keep an eye on this radar showing the developing cold front which is still to my west. I am located about 50 kms southwest of the Castlegar weather station shown near the U.S. border on the map.

Currently hot and sunny here with widespread ACC moving north.

https://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=XSS

Also the Calgary area radar showing a bit of ground clutter now could get active after 00z.

https://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=XSM

PDT is 7 hours behind z time and MDT is 6 hours behind. (8 and 7 if comparing to BST). 

Posted

Looking south at sunset Tuesday, tracking cells moving north-northeast from eastern WA state into southeast BC. We had frequent lightning for about an hour once it got dark here, closest strikes were about 5 km to our east. Most of this activity has now moved on towards the Rockies and I expect it will link up with existing thunderstorms over central Alberta late tonight, leading to a fairly significant outbreak in central Alberta on Wednesday. Red Deer to Coronation then east to SK border might be best prospect although some storms could develop much closer to Calgary as well. 

Sharp upper trough has formed and will be moving rapidly east through these regions overnight and on Wednesday. 

IMG_20190723_202954.jpg

Posted

Not many days left now, arrived in Alberta on Tuesday, heading towards Saskatchewan today. https://umanitoba.ca/environment/envirogeog/weather/conv_otlk/

Hear the weather is quiet back home 

6B851B8A-58AC-4133-A52F-0485ED99F880.jpeg

71ACB8A5-DC12-456D-9911-2AD61390775B.png

6B15D316-9CA3-4CD0-8F09-2CFACB312E7D.jpeg

D32E4DA5-7991-4C53-AB83-C2212EDC411B.jpeg

560ED9C5-B2DD-4131-94C6-1B5E66FA4412.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

You can't go wrong today anywhere in central Alberta or western SK with the dynamics looking quite strong by this afternoon. We've just had a heavy thunderstorm with the cold front moving through here (about 250 miles southwest of Calgary). That map looks a bit truncated on the western side of the outbreak, I would expect verification to show something similar but extended further west as the dry air is not going to rush east from the Rockies in this situation, maybe south of the TCH it would do so, but severe storm potential looks high to me in central Alberta as well as the areas they show in western SK. The fact that the active cold front is back here suggests they have that shifted too far east. Betting that some place around Red Deer, Coronation possibly even Calgary to Drumheller might get hit mid-day. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

had some big storms roll through the city last night ..with power outages caused by multiple lightning strikes..more severe weather forecast today.

Posted

Well I wish I was in Canada and Northern  USA at the mo. The heat back here is unbearable

At 5am it was still 25c in Kent and there is the chance we could hit the all time record tomorrow

There is the chance of some big storms being set of tomorrow evening

Enjoy the last few days in Canada hope you see some big storms before you come home

Posted

From Weds SK (tornado warned) then heading back into AB Thursday-blue skies

683F5FDB-5986-4277-B0DE-42C0C44D9F62.jpeg

9D5F8E56-9DDD-4F68-B417-782798B03EEF.png

5EA8E2DF-C411-4A28-93EC-D9FDE6AC2959.jpeg

B17E9622-51FB-4C15-9552-8946F0677D79.jpeg

0BFEB1CA-BCB7-45FE-91F7-9C2E75922293.jpeg

90241AE6-79EF-43DF-9C54-D5FF3CB175E6.jpeg

2FE8EFD4-A980-4E8C-89F4-D79232024430.jpeg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
Posted

Ashleigh's video from summer . The hail storm at 22mins then hail fog at 26mins is noteable.

• Like 1