Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Holiday advice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I’m trying to plan a jaunt to sunnier climes for my 40th this year in September. It has truely been dire over the last few years for decent storms in the UK so as well as good food, lively bars,being near the sea and reliably hot weather - i’d love to have to added bonus of some cracking T&L to round off the summer.

i know this has been asked countless times before but anyone have any inspiration for where to head at the start of September to increase the odds?

currently thinking Ibiza, Menorca, Portugal or Slovenia  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot

I read from some pdf about European lightning distribution that the Mediterranean in general is the place for autumn storms

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nat-hazards-earth-syst-sci.net/14/815/2014/nhess-14-815-2014.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwicrfL125HjAhVai1wKHcOMBYMQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw2wiTUidh_24oGzP18yM2e7

3.2.9 September

September sees a dramatic switch in the distribution of Eu-
ropean lightning, as can be seen in Fig. 13. Northern Europe
sees a sharp drop in observed lightning, whereas the western
Mediterranean sees a sharp increase, particularly along coast-
lines. Cooler air moving over the now warm waters of the
Mediterranean leads to the generation of storms. Lightning
densities in the eastern Mediterranean remain relatively low,
however. Lightning densities are still higher over the Alps,
Pyrenees and Atlas Mountains than the surrounding regions.
Tracks of individual storms are noticeable across Germany,
Poland and the Czech Republic, predominantly from storms
in 2011.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
20 minutes ago, Another Kent clipper said:

I go to Menorca almost every Autumn and it's true. On average (in Autumn) you get a thunderstorm there once every 4 days.

Edited by zmstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Out of them options I would be going with the Balearics for the mixture of storms, sea, food and lively bars. Have you also thought about Croatia? That Adriatic coastline seems to become a hotbed for storms around August/September time. I am unsure though of how lively it is, I have never been.

Of course, a holiday to see storms in Europe is never a guarantee, most of the continent is unpredictable. Although the Alps in high summer seem to be an almost dead cert for storms, but doesn't offer sea or lively bars (or at least I have never seen any).

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Hope you sort a good trip. I've just finished a blog about this summer's storm chase (further afield I realise) Maybe a 50th option? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Gambia is great for storms in August and September. I went out in 2016 and got some incredible storms, along with the best anvil crawlers you could hope for (even Tornado Alley this year didn't compare with those!). It's about a 6 hour flight away and the downside is that it's their 'off-season', so flights are less frequent, many tourist places are closed, and the humidity is INSANE, with the storms providing temporary relief.

Beautiful beaches too!

Edited by lancem
  • Like 1