Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Storms and Convective Discussion - 25th June 2019 onwards


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You wait a lifetime for a funnel cloud and then two come at once!

A few from last night, just South of Salisbury. Mostly intracloud stuff, but an impressive light show none the less.  

Well that was a pretty awesome night. Although I cant help but feel slightly disappointed for not getting any SLR shots. And now I'm left wanting more and more ?. Anyway a very impressive light show w

Posted Images

Yellow thunderstorm warning issued for tonight

18:00 Today 23:59

Thunderstorms may affect parts of northern England and southeast Scotland this evening

What to expect

  • Where flooding or lightning strikes occur, there is a chance of delays or cancellations to train and bus services
  • Spray and sudden flooding could lead to difficult driving conditions and some road closures
  • There is a chance that power cuts could occur and other services to some homes and businesses could be lost
  • There is a small chance that homes and businesses could be flooded quickly, with damage to some buildings from floodwater, lightning strikes or hail

Although many places will miss the worst, thunderstorms seem likely to develop across parts of northern England and southeast Scotland later on Saturday, perhaps focused towards eastern coasts. Lightning strikes, hail and gusty winds are possible, while 20 to 30 mm of rain may fall within an hour in a few locations.

Regions and local authorities affected:

North East England

  • Darlington
  • Durham
  • Gateshead
  • Hartlepool
  • Middlesbrough
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
  • North Tyneside
  • Northumberland
  • Redcar and Cleveland
  • South Tyneside
  • Stockton-on-Tees
  • Sunderland

North West England

  • Cumbria

SW Scotland, Lothian Borders

  • East Lothian
  • Midlothian Council
  • Scottish Borders

Yorkshire & Humber

  • North Yorkshire

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2019-06-29&id=3e144e85-19fc-4f95-957a-656caf28152b&details

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow Lightning 50 miles to the south-west. Don’t know if it’s false or not,; didn’t have the radio on, that will teach me. 

 Must’ve been false. 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Yellow thunderstorm warning issued for tonight

18:00 Today 23:59

Thunderstorms may affect parts of northern England and southeast Scotland this evening

What to expect

  • Where flooding or lightning strikes occur, there is a chance of delays or cancellations to train and bus services
  • Spray and sudden flooding could lead to difficult driving conditions and some road closures
  • There is a chance that power cuts could occur and other services to some homes and businesses could be lost
  • There is a small chance that homes and businesses could be flooded quickly, with damage to some buildings from floodwater, lightning strikes or hail

Although many places will miss the worst, thunderstorms seem likely to develop across parts of northern England and southeast Scotland later on Saturday, perhaps focused towards eastern coasts. Lightning strikes, hail and gusty winds are possible, while 20 to 30 mm of rain may fall within an hour in a few locations.

Regions and local authorities affected:

North East England

  • Darlington
  • Durham
  • Gateshead
  • Hartlepool
  • Middlesbrough
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
  • North Tyneside
  • Northumberland
  • Redcar and Cleveland
  • South Tyneside
  • Stockton-on-Tees
  • Sunderland

North West England

  • Cumbria

SW Scotland, Lothian Borders

  • East Lothian
  • Midlothian Council
  • Scottish Borders

Yorkshire & Humber

  • North Yorkshire

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2019-06-29&id=3e144e85-19fc-4f95-957a-656caf28152b&details

Bit more excited after seeing this as it ties in with other forecasts nicely. Fingers crossed please just let this come off ?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, P-M said:

Well I kinda do but after the recent busts I'm being reserved. 

Gorgeous morning up here in the NE with a lovely warm breeze every now and again. I'll check in later on the forecasts but fingers crossed for the cap to be eroded later ?

24C so far, it is absolutely unbearable as well, I'm dripping. ? I better be getting a storm out of this.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, evans1892 said:

24C so far, it is absolutely unbearable as well, I'm dripping. ? I better be getting a storm out of this.

Haha it's gone cloudy but proper muggy here don't think it's as hot as 24c mind here. 

 

Meto have the yellow warning out now so things moving in the right direction. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, P-M said:

Haha it's gone cloudy but proper muggy here don't think it's as hot as 24c mind here. 

 

Meto have the yellow warning out now so things moving in the right direction. 

Doubt it'll be 24c it's just about at 20c in Darlington 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, P-M said:

Haha it's gone cloudy but proper muggy here don't think it's as hot as 24c mind here. 

 

Meto have the yellow warning out now so things moving in the right direction. 

11:15pm

image.thumb.png.3e18ee4d2734c184f101f55b0116fad8.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, evans1892 said:

11:15pm

image.thumb.png.3e18ee4d2734c184f101f55b0116fad8.png

 

3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Doubt it'll be 24c it's just about at 20c in Darlington 

It does feel quite warm though. It's times like this I should invest in a thermometer lol 

 

The suns poking through the clouds and when it is it's pretty hot like. Hottest part of the day is still a few hours away so I'm not complaining. 

Edited by P-M
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, P-M said:

And the sun has broken through -  what a difference, the temp and humidity has shot up! 

It's been shining through most of the morning here, I have this out to my west though.

image.thumb.png.9db3b0c5b9b902ebeefda4618e341395.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, P-M said:

 

It does feel quite warm though. It's times like this I should invest in a thermometer lol 

 

The suns poking through the clouds and when it is it's pretty hot like. Hottest part of the day is still a few hours away so I'm not complaining. 

Yeah it's feeling warm trouble is some stations can easily overcook the temps especially when they're exposed to the sun

The met office map at 11am shows most of the NE in the upper teens to 20c

download.thumb.png.43e59c29390adc22ad99c639052eea81.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, evans1892 said:

It's been shining through most of the morning here, I have this out to my west though.

image.thumb.png.9db3b0c5b9b902ebeefda4618e341395.png

Shows the instability well. Maybe a good sign for later? 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, evans1892 said:

image.thumb.png.769db4999e9d93ff0b475ba925ba8940.pngBetter res image. That first one was from the facebook app.

It's bloody scorching here now I'm literally dripping and only been sat out for half an hour. Defo going to climb into the mid 20s at least and wouldn't be surprised to see high 20s here today there's no doubt about it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, P-M said:

It's bloody scorching here now I'm literally dripping and only been sat out for half an hour. Defo going to climb into the mid 20s at least and wouldn't be surprised to see high 20s here today there's no doubt about it. 

Maybe my local station is overdoing it but it certainly doesn't feel like it. ?

 

The sun is proper shining on the east side of town and obviously you see the signs out on the western side.

 

Currently shows 23 and DP of 18, which is one of the highest according to the map. 

Edited by evans1892
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In theory looking looking at the modelling then there is a small window between 6pm and 9pm over  north east scotland where storms can marginally become surface based looking at the forecast skewt's. Equally cumbria , northumberland and many parts of Ireland and scotland could see elevated storms.
The trouble is that the jetstream over Poland is further east than forecast and satellite imagery shows the current cold front weakening with a further front developing behind it. I am also not sure how quickly the low pressure lifts out northwards or whether it heads more north east.
As modelling starts to catch up with actual conditions I would not be surprised to see some thunderstorm potential developing tomorrow. As for today then I am just nt convinced, but we should be looking at north east scotland as a potential focus point of storms early evening.

sound-Aberdeenshire-18.png

sound-Aberdeenshire-24.png

nmmuk3hrprecip18.png

nmmuk3hrprecip21.png

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes get in!

Liverpool “TAF EGGP 291056Z 2912/3012 18008KT 9999 SCT030 BECMG 2916/2919 30010KT PROB30 TEMPO 2919/2923 26015G25KT 2500 +SHRA +TSRA BKN008 BKN030CB BECMG 2920/2923 24005KT”

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BrickFielder said:


The trouble is that the jetstream over Poland is further east than forecast and satellite imagery shows the current cold front weakening with a further front developing behind it. I am also not sure how quickly the low pressure lifts out northwards or whether it heads more north east.
As modelling starts to catch up with actual conditions I would not be surprised to see some thunderstorm potential developing tomorrow. As for today then I am just nt convinced, but we should be looking at north east scotland as a potential focus point of storms early evening.

 

 

Tomorrow? Where?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything going too far north again ah well,.mid level lightning without hearing the thunder would be likely today in those mid level towers,but nearer dusk when you could see it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, P-M said:

It's bloody scorching here now I'm literally dripping and only been sat out for half an hour. Defo going to climb into the mid 20s at least and wouldn't be surprised to see high 20s here today there's no doubt about it. 

image.thumb.png.0950281a83b7847c36fdff58ae960770.pngCan't be right surely can it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...