Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective Discussion - 25th June 2019 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds
1 minute ago, Mitch perrott said:

Sudden lightning over my house, shotgun thunder, the storms are not dying! possible development from the random strikes

Where are you near?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
2 minutes ago, Mitch perrott said:

Sudden lightning over my house, shotgun thunder, the storms are not dying! possible development from the random strikes

That’s a terribly unhelpful report - but thanks

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
4 minutes ago, StormLoser said:

Looks like that is it for Reigate. I had hoped the front would spark up a few more storms but everything coming across the Channel is losing its marbles and fading out. Looks like some kind of cap or ridge of high pressure folding into the area? Dunno.

Classic Spanish plume unfortunately, caps can be difficult to break. The intense heat over the Spanish plateau often heats up temperatures higher up (its well above sea level) and then that remains as the air mass moves North to the UK. This warmth remains and leads to a rise in temperature a bit further up in the atmosphere which is the cap.

That is where the term Spanish plume comes from and they obviously can be broken but its difficult to predict where.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)
6 minutes ago, Mitch perrott said:

on a side note- its hard being 17 and storm chasing, i ressort into cycling into the core of the storms ;-;

Stay safe! 

Posted
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, NLC
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft
5 minutes ago, Mitch perrott said:

on a side note- its hard being 17 and storm chasing, i ressort into cycling into the core of the storms ;-;

For that Sir....you just earned yourself a follower. Just don't forget to lock your bike.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and snow

A little bit of thunder form a gowning not that much active thunderstorm and it looks like it is game over for south and west to night over in Warminster 

Posted
1 hour ago, Harry said:

Comparing tonight with Tuesday is (forgive me for being so blunt) ridiculous. It is a totally different synoptic setup so to say that storms kicked off after 11pm Tuesday therefore it should happen tonight is bizarre.

Models suggested storms erupting after 11pm and they indeed. I’m struggling to find one which suggests the same tonight (apart from the latest MetO projection which isn’t the most reliable).

Despite the above, I’m sat here in high heat and humidity praying that something will kick off...but I’m certainly not basing it on the fact Tuesday night did.

For your information, I was not stating that the set-up tonight is the same as Tuesday Night's, so don't put words in my mouth.

I was essentially saying, since you missed the point. Despite the fact models and data may show a certain set-up, like I mentioned on Tuesday evening, doesn't actually mean anything.

Storms are fickle, the set-up may show certain areas being more prone, however, like we saw with Tuesday evening's storms. They iniated further East than the models predicted. That's my point, there is always uncertainity regardless of what the set-up is/ projections for storm development.

• Like 1

Posted

Been really disappointed for us in west yorks but good luck to all.

Kind of expected it from the nw storms missing us.

• Like 2

Posted

Can you believe it? Yet ANOTHER bust for this area of Cheshire. 8th time in a row where we have had massive storms forecasted and we haven't even had a drop of rain. Absolute bull. I will no longer be looking at the forecast anymore as you change plans for nothing. They categorically said this morning that there would be dangerous amounts of rainfall and lightning this afternoon or evening. But as I said for the 8th time nothing has happened. Rubbish. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mitch perrott said:

im new to this, im sorry

Meant the lol emoji sorry my fingers are tired. “Terribly unhelpful” I meant to say, but your heart was in the right place

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 3

Posted

I'm going to give it half an hour then attempt to get some sleep - its incredibly humid tonight, but alas, not a sniff of a storm on the lancs/west yorks border.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Which way is that new cell in Kent moving? Is it going to do the same as everything else and go up the North Sea? 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Line of showers over western England has now moved to Manchester, we shall soon see what air rising over the Pennines does to it.

Of the main band it’s actually hooking west slightly so Hull and Newcastle may want to keep an eye.

Posted
1 minute ago, Scott Page said:

Can you believe it? Yet ANOTHER bust for this area of Cheshire. 8th time in a row where we have had massive storms forecasted and we haven't even had a drop of rain. Absolute bull. I will no longer be looking at the forecast anymore as you change plans for nothing. They categorically said this morning that there would be dangerous amounts of rainfall and lightning this afternoon or evening. But as I said for the 8th time nothing has happened. Rubbish. 

Lol. Okaaaay

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Damm, no  I'm in the room facing the road (and hillside) with the blinds closed and my music on, so missed it  

Ah, well like I said it was just a single flash and just some distant rumbling of thunder, you didn't really miss much 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot
9 minutes ago, Mitch perrott said:

Multiple strikes, cell deloping over south east, strong wind gusts

and @Harry

I am all

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Random strikes appearing all over the shop according to lightningmaps.org

Posted
8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Grrrr! What to do, new cell firing over E Kent now and a random strike near the S coast...what on earth is going on out there!

I was wondering that...had stopped altogether but in the last 15 minutes there have been a few more flashes and rumbles out south/south west

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

The Cap is struggling to break unfortunately.