Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective Discussion - 25th June 2019 onwards

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Looking a dead duck to the south of us for now we may end up between storms on the western side and storms to the east of us. Would make a frustrating lighting display overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.

Hoping and hoping. In the meantime, looking NE from Dogmersfield.

20190725_191120-01.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Looking a dead duck to the south of us for now we may end up between storms on the western side and storms to the east of us. Would make a frustrating lighting display overnight.

Yes nothing at all of interest to the south. Poor again but we often are in these setups.

Can't see much kicking off further west other than those poxy showers currently on radar. We may see some distant lightning to our east later, you never know  #clutchingatstraws #dampsquib #breakdownwhatbreakdown

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds
1 minute ago, Nick Wall said:

This may sound a bit odd and maybe my imagination, but does that storm have a look of a Rampant Rabbit?

Capture.PNG

Wow yes is does that’s so odd!

Edited by Oliver Wyndham-lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

Right in the edge of a lovely little storm, another treat!! A direct hit would have been nice though

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
10 minutes ago, Windblade said:

After a thouroughly miserable storm season where I've manged to miss every single main event with me summing up my action so far as 8 barely audible cloud farts, one flash of sheet lightning and one flash of ball lightning (the highlight for me - shows how bad the rest of it's been) I just got a small storm an hour ago. The bulk of it missed me (no surprise there) but I did see my first cg strike of the year from the cell that track parallel to my west from south to north. Nice visible rain core on the northern leading edge. Didn't see any other strikes but had quite a few quiet rumbles. 

Eyes to the SSE @Windblade. Just starting my walk back from the station and the next storms will hit us or come very close!

Posted

Clutching at straws but a few models do have things vastly pepping up/ kicking off later on for yorkshire

19072600_2512.gif

nmmuk3hrprecip.png

GFSOPEU12_12_4.png

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
1 minute ago, Oliver Wyndham-lewis said:

Wow yes is does that’s so odd

They often call it the screaming eagle in the US. Sign of a supercell 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
1 minute ago, Harsh Climate said:

Clutching at straws but a few models do have things vastly pepping up/ kicking off later on for the midlands/central northern england.

19072600_2512.gif

nmmuk3hrprecip.png

GFSOPEU12_12_4.png

Nice gap where Sheffield is which goes back to my earlier comment storms to the west storms to the east. Of course models are not very precise and storms can pop up miles away from the forecast position.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Eyes to the SSE @Windblade. Just starting my walk back from the station and the next storms will hit us or come very close!

Hope so buddy. Fingers crossed.

Nice to see you again too. Sorry I haven't been around much. I've been visiting the site every single day but I've just had such a really bad season I didn't want to depress everyone with my ranting.

Posted

Well sadly, looking out my bedroom window towards Newcastle City Centre and the blue sky has returned which clumps of cloud lingering around.  Cell that was to the west of us is now moving north east through Northumberland towards the Alnwick area

Posted

Well unlike some folk on twitter, i don't like to throw the "S" word around very often, but that storm over the far North of England was almost certainly a supercell 

Lovely structure on radar, an overshooting top, and now some evidence of large hail 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: nasty

The only decent looking cloud near me just got ripped in 2 by an Emirates A380 on its descent to Manchester, thanks

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Hope so buddy. Fingers crossed.

Nice to see you again too. Sorry I haven't been around much. I've been visiting the site every single day but I've just had such a really bad season I didn't want to depress everyone with my ranting.

Don’t be daft I struggle to find to time to be on here as much as I used to anyway.

We are currently sat under a huge anvil and a few spots of rain are in the air - some sferics heading this direction too - just hope to get a least a few loud booms and a few decent forks.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Radar image looks incredibly impressive in the south east.

85.thumb.png.6f5a86b296d622fc9807e1eec795b569.png

EDIT - Sorry, not sure what happened to the map underneath!

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 1

Posted

Latest thoughts from TORRO

TORRO SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 2019/006

A TORRO SEVERE THUNDERSTORMWATCH has been issued at 19:25BST on Thursday 25th July 2019

Valid from/until: 19:25 - 03:00BST on Thursday 25th/Friday 26th July 2019 for the following regions of the
United Kingdom & Ireland:

SE and E England

E Anglia

THREATS
Hail 20-30mm diameter; wind gusts to 60mph; CG lightning

SYNOPSIS
Areas of thunderstorms, including clusters, are moving through and into the region, mainly from south to north. Further storms are possible into the night. These are elevated storms above the boundary layer, but fairly decent instability should support occasional bouts of severe hail.

Additionally, a well-mixed boundary layer this evening below an inversion may aid in some severe downbursts in places - strong winds may occur from cells into the night too, due to downward momentum transfer.

Note TORNADO WATCH 005 is still in effect further north, although the risk is mainly confined to NE England/S Scotland for the next couple of hours.

Forecaster: RPK

image.thumb.png.e1ebe54067f3425ccb83fde7439a1ae1.png

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, davechesh said:

The only decent looking cloud near me just got ripped in 2 by an Emirates A380 on its descent to Manchester, thanks

Don't want to predict what will or will not turn up but its good to see clear sunny skies in between potent convective cells, any claggyness will mess up storm cells. 

Posted

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Don’t be daft I struggle to find to time to be on here as much as I used to anyway.

We are currently sat under a huge anvil and a few spots of rain are in the air - some sferics heading this direction too - just hope to get a least a few loud booms and a few decent forks.

Thanks. Yes, let hope things kick off. I want some lovely refreshing storms! ☔?⛈??

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Stephanie Starr said:

I'm currently in the south of Lincolnshire town called Spalding. Debating whether I need to pop back to work and water plants again outside (I work on plant nursery) or we going get some rain in next hour or 2

There is a cell near to Cambridge which may just hit Spalding. Not the most electrically active so far but it could develop further.