Jump to content

Storms and Convective Discussion - 25th June 2019 onwards


Recommended Posts

Just now, Petorious said:

A long line of showers starting to pep up from Portsmouth and north towards Oxford, any risk of this lot growing into a line of storms?

That's where I feel we could brew something. Went from clear blue skies to total cloud cover here in minutes and now feeling very unsettled. The air feels primed

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You wait a lifetime for a funnel cloud and then two come at once!

A few from last night, just South of Salisbury. Mostly intracloud stuff, but an impressive light show none the less.  

Well that was a pretty awesome night. Although I cant help but feel slightly disappointed for not getting any SLR shots. And now I'm left wanting more and more ?. Anyway a very impressive light show w

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Petorious said:

A long line of showers starting to pep up from Portsmouth and north towards Oxford, any risk of this lot growing into a line of storms?

Thats spot on with Nicks NW forecast from earlier ...

 

'This high boundary layer instability will likely be mostly capped during the day across central and E England by warm dry layers of Elevated Mixed Layer (EML) advecting N aloft from near continent.

However, further N and W, subtle cooling aloft and increasing large scale ascent / falling heights from approaching upper trough, will combine to destabilise EML across parts of central S England, Midlands, E Wales and NW England in the afternoon, supporting elevated heavy showers and perhaps a few thunderstorms.

These heavy showers/storms will spread N and are forecast to expand in coverage across N England and S Scotland into the evening, as hot/humid plume continues to destabilise as it is engaged by upper trough/falling heights spreading from the west'

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoeShmoe said:

These heavy showers/storms will spread N and are forecast to expand in coverage across N England and S Scotland into the evening, as hot/humid plume continues to destabilise as it is engaged by upper trough/falling heights spreading from the west'

that's the important bit for those further south 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Most charts I have seen seem to show the storms now over the NW to move north/northeast into the far north of England and Scotland. These could turn severe as the afternoon/evening wears on. More storms then push up from the south this evening and develop/push north up the eastern half of England. Western extent a little uncertain but let's just say I expect I would be best to head east.

Best places look to be N England and S Scotland in the next few hours. Then SE England, London, Home Counties and up into SE Midlands, Lincolnshire, East Yorkshire for this evening into tonight.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

Out of no were that cell just north of Leeds 

Im in Bratfud looking North - its got very murky and hazy in the distance but the only cell I can see is on radar - Selby (ish) way. I so hope we get something decent tonight! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

At around what time roughly is the elevated stuff supposed to get going in the channel? 

 

This is where I’ll make my mind up wether to detour before heading home. Not a lot seems to be happening ? it’s gone quite cool here

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stormchick said:

Im in Bratfud looking North - its got very murky and hazy in the distance but the only cell I can see is on radar - Selby (ish) way. I so hope we get something decent tonight! 

Yeah its died unfortunately it's just north of ripon now but the echoes have reduced in intensity 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thundershine said:

Looks like scotland will get a crap ton of mega storms AGAIN and they didn't even have the heat. ?

Yes a tad underwhelmed today. The heat deserved a better send off here than going out with a whimper.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lu. said:

This is where I’ll make my mind up wether to detour before heading home. Not a lot seems to be happening ? it’s gone quite cool here

Keep me posted! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Looks like scotland will get a crap ton of mega storms AGAIN and they didn't even have the heat. ?

Nothing is guaranteed. And it is hot up here too ?  

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Looks like scotland will get a crap ton of mega storms AGAIN and they didn't even have the heat. ?

was the hottest ever day in Edinburgh today ?

Towers going up rapidly here in last 30 minutes ... won't be long now ...

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Looks like scotland will get a crap ton of mega storms AGAIN and they didn't even have the heat. ?

Doesn't look like anywhere west of the M74 will get anything today. We didnt get anything Tuesday either. We also do have heat, Edinburgh just recorded 31.5C about an hour ago. It's 29C here. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rossco89 said:

Doesn't look like anywhere west of the M74 will get anything today. We didnt get anything Tuesday either. We also do have heat, Edinburgh just recorded 31.5C about an hour ago. It's 29C here. 

I spose that's pretty warm for Scotland actually yeah. Got to somewhere over 35 degrees round here, but my PWS only reached 34.1

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheToastPeople said:

Camera is almost charged. Which means its almost time for a 2 hour walk in this heat to reach a vantage point... I miss having a car lmao.

Good luck everyone! But stay safe, some of these storms could be rather nasty....

You are not to far from me, near wellingborough, recon we are in with a good shout this eve?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...