Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective Discussion - 25th June 2019 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Whitby promenade facing SE,you can see lightning on there.

http://www.camsecure.co.uk/Camsecure2/Whitby_Promenade_Beach_View.html

Posted

Very heavy rain in (Wallsend) Newcastle, No lightning as of yet, Hoping that lot of the coast of Scarborough moves west slightly. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Robert1010 said:

Very heavy rain in (Wallsend) Newcastle, No lightning as of yet, Hoping that lot of the coast of Scarborough moves west slightly. 

Very heavy rain here too, some small hail and thunder.

• Like 1

Posted

Certainly no shortage of rain here at the moment.  Although I'm not expecting anything thundery it would be nice

• Like 1

Posted

I got a probable supercell on Thursday! I honestly think I've had 8-9 days of thunder in 2019. Been a good year really!

Edited by Supacell

Posted

It's going to bug me for weeks now that we didn't stop longer to film here (in HD too), we're both adamant we saw rotation close to the ground.

image.thumb.png.171f6c9080c0dc32a230506392569ce7.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, electric storms

Well here in stockton on tees the weather forecast wasn't wrong.... Absolutely teeming down and now a lot cooler, almost freezing in comparison to the last week, I'll be looking foreward to sleeping in much cooler temperatures tonight 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
6 minutes ago, Smokeysmoggy said:

Well here in stockton on tees the weather forecast wasn't wrong.... Absolutely teeming down and now a lot cooler, almost freezing in comparison to the last week, I'll be looking foreward to sleeping in much cooler temperatures tonight 

Just passing through Stockton going to Sunderland air show car showing 16c, 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

A few strikes showing in Belgium in the last 5 minutes, probably irrelevant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, electric storms
46 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

Just passing through Stockton going to Sunderland air show car showing 16c, 

I think it's going to be a soggy one mate, like a wet weekend in filey.... And yes I am speaking from experience...... A weekend in a caravan at the blue dolphin..... Haha

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
35 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

A few strikes showing in Belgium in the last 5 minutes, probably irrelevant.

The one time we could do with it sending storms nuts like it usually does, as they would be driven this way, it doesn’t happen! Typical lol. 

We was so close with that storm last night off the East coast, but it just didn’t make landfall in its prime stages. I even made out a few big flashes every 2 minutes despite it being probably the best part of 100-120 miles away! 

Im not sure if I was hearing things last night during its journey past the N Norfolk coast and the wash, but there was this continuous, very faint constant hum/rumble going on when I was sitting outside with a beer at 1-2AM. To say It really was the thunder off that thing would be against apparently not being able to hear it from more than *Edit* 10 miles apparently!! (Bull....) But I have had this conversation with south coasters on here, and I recall at least one person saying they have definitely observed thunder from storms near the Channel Islands, a good 80-90 miles away. To note also, on the Sheringham cam, I saw that thing spitting out a few +CG’s. Which to my understanding, produce that bomb sounding ever lasting thunder. 

If someone could enlighten me about this, I’d appreciate it. It could be that when over open water, the sound carries much further. I definitely heard a distinct very low continuous rumbling for a good hour. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot

I would agree with this.  There are no trees, houses, or hills in open water, which I'm sure you know!  It probably helps if the storm is elevated.  Also the audible thunder might be the combined effect of overlapping thunders from the frequent strikes that, in isolation, might not be heard

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Missed some of the action on Thursday back home, but southern Germany more than making up for it today!! 

Possibly a little over excited

Edited by SalopWatcher
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

This morning I was up at Ladybower in the peak district and I could hear somebodies conversation from the opposite side of the valley. In the right conditions sound can travel a long way so you were probably hearing the storm.

Not as weird as silent lightning which also happens. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days
4 hours ago, Oliver Wyndham-lewis said:

Well the air is certainly clear today isn’t it? High teens low 20s. Might not even reach 20 in London in some places 

Not sure I'd call it clear - temperature might be down but it's still as humid as hell.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
49 minutes ago, Another Kent clipper said:

I would agree with this.  There are no trees, houses, or hills in open water, which I'm sure you know!  It probably helps if the storm is elevated.  Also the audible thunder might be the combined effect of overlapping thunders from the frequent strikes that, in isolation, might not be heard

I agree to agree. It must’ve been the thunder. The overlapping thunder as you mentioned makes total sense, as over a distance it becomes more faint and less broken. Plus it was over 130 strikes per minute as per blitzortung, and my radio. At night, sound I know for certain travels much further. For example on the flat Lincolnshire coastline, on a still night with the wind in the right direction, you can hear the sea a good few miles inland, never mind thunder! 

Things like that are precious rare moments that very few people would even be remotely aware of! 

I love being a storm nut! 

Edit: There’s a storm erupted in exactly the same spot last nights storm originated from. The Cologne/Mönchengladbach area. Let’s see if it can make it this time! Seems to be more of a WNW trajectory to it too, unlike last night, which was NW. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted

I see there are number of posts regarding the storms moving up the north sea off the east coast last night. I saw them from our bedroom window in Bempton, around 1.30am there was an almost continuous flickering from the lightning and you could hear the deep rumbles of distant thunder. We were in a good spot to see it.

How far will the sound of thunder carry, I assume there are a number of variables, wind, terrain etc. I would estimate from the radar that the storms last night were the order of 20 miles away, with the rapid flickering couldn't apply the 5 sec rule at that distance.

• Like 1

Posted

Just noticed on the radar that even though this rain band is traveling to the NW the very edge of the SW side is traveling to the SE?????? The exact opposite direction???? Is this going to cause any potential storms where the 2 different wind directions meet?

Edited by Ryukai
What is Spelling

Posted

I've been watching this form. I also noticed the rain band going NW and Them cells are going SSE 

Posted

Cells firing off around there now SSE in the sea and that cell over Cardiff

• Like 1