Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective Discussion - 25th June 2019 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

Being spoilt for once, a storm on direct hit trajectory for st neots!! What a week to be off work!! Aamzing 

Posted
8 minutes ago, ITCZ said:

Absolutely gutted with the lack of any thunderstorms where I am.  The Convective outlook forecast, and many posted on here had my area (Glasgow) right in the high-risk, or severe zone for convective activity. As it transpired we didn't even get a drop of rain.  Has to be the worst experience I have encountered in my weather-watching career. I was so excited all morning and early afternoon at the possibility of experiencing a supercell--but I would have settled for even a brief display of fireworks.  To get absolutely nothing was a real kick to the gut.  I guess though its part-and parcel of having this hobby, I just couldn't believe that with those near astronomical CAPE values--for the UK--that nothing kicked off.  I don't expect atmospheric conditions to be like that again for a long while, I doubt we will get any convective activity for the remainder of the summer. 

Still chance for more spells of heat to brew up storms. Given how this summer has gone heatwaves so far has been end of June and end of July. Wouldn't surprise me if we got one end of August

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
5 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

Still chance for more spells of heat to brew up storms. Given how this summer has gone heatwaves so far has been end of June and end of July. Wouldn't surprise me if we got one end of August

He is probably referring to his location of Glasgow where I suspect chances of heat like we had recently will be lower than Lincolnshire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

Woke up to a tiddly storm west of here around 5:00am, So excited I fell straight back to sleep. At least Reigate has had some very welcome rain. My tumbleweed and cacti look the better for it.

Very disappointing outlook for the day for me. All the fun is to the east. The Met Orofice has removed the weather warning of storms for today, but in text they suggest an increasing potential for storms later today.

I have not had the time to make my own forecast yet (overslept, dangit). But it is a tad cooler.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Storm just missing me, but could hear the thunder from it. 

thunderstorm1.png

16 minutes ago, Gordon Webb said:

He is probably referring to his location of Glasgow where I suspect chances of heat like we had recently will be lower than Lincolnshire

Yeah you are right. My first and only experience of a supercell was in Orlando,FL and it really was something special to witness.  It was that exciting and unlike anything I had ever experienced that I am contemplating going on one of those Storm Chasing trips to Tornado Alley.  I guess I just got over-eager at the thought of something similar occurring this side of the pond, that being said, nearly all of the convective forecasts had my area in a severe or high-risk zone.  I guess with all the variables at play in convective formation must cause the models to struggle, especially since it is not something typically experienced in the UK. 

Posted
11 minutes ago, StormLoser said:

Woke up to a tiddly storm west of here around 5:00am, So excited I fell straight back to sleep. At least Reigate has had some very welcome rain. My tumbleweed and cacti look the better for it.

Very disappointing outlook for the day for me. All the fun is to the east. The Met Orofice has removed the weather warning of storms for today, but in text they suggest an increasing potential for storms later today.

I have not had the time to make my own forecast yet (overslept, dangit). But it is a tad cooler.

Yeah, I was up at about 3 ish and there was a few rumbles of thunder and some flashes. A few showers as well. Nothing like Tuesday night, lightning wise. 

I reckon we'll see some stuff later this evening and tonight. 

Posted

morning all, well what a week, hot, sunny and some cracking storms too, then we have today, cooler, cloudy, a few spots of rain and what looks a very wet weekend to come, fingers crossed it might just have a cpl more storms for us to enjoy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

We had some lovely rain here a while ago but radar image shows the conveyor belt has shifted east slightly so it's just missing us by a few miles at the moment. Still absolutely black to my southeast and a lovely cool breeze blowing so can't complain. 

Screenshot_20190726-120557.thumb.jpg.756e7060099f51ac7e347da2d19512a2.jpg

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
55 minutes ago, ITCZ said:

Absolutely gutted with the lack of any thunderstorms where I am.  The Convective outlook forecast, and many posted on here had my area (Glasgow) right in the high-risk, or severe zone for convective activity. As it transpired we didn't even get a drop of rain.  Has to be the worst experience I have encountered in my weather-watching career. I was so excited all morning and early afternoon at the possibility of experiencing a supercell--but I would have settled for even a brief display of fireworks.  To get absolutely nothing was a real kick to the gut.  I guess though its part-and parcel of having this hobby, I just couldn't believe that with those near astronomical CAPE values--for the UK--that nothing kicked off.  I don't expect atmospheric conditions to be like that again for a long while, I doubt we will get any convective activity for the remainder of the summer. 

I feel for you. That's been the exact story of my year up until today. I wish you a good storm. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

No storms here last night, some distant rumbles earlier this morning but nothing else. However temperatures today are already past 26C and the sun is popping out every now and then, Hopefully this may spark something later along that cold front if it ever gets to us.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Once again placed in the wrong place for any storms. The remnants of any rain and storms making a mostly cloudy humid day so far. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

69A8B4E8-15C2-47F5-8478-83DA3C2CD9A6.thumb.jpeg.4959ad553e1863deffd85a0acb6ce878.jpeg

Late afternoon at Ashdown Forest

B39C918E-AA87-4F6B-8B53-33783C552040.thumb.jpeg.9eb7fa044ec3a69d6b644c794c4470f1.jpeg

Worthing seafront (Lu deserves this shot really - unlucky/lucky timing on the cameras )

F5B1D73A-C8F9-42CE-A443-A12B4D95CECE.thumb.jpeg.e3ea8b67533fdc4d484d16b573afe942.jpeg

Early this morning near Billingshurst looking NE towards Tonbridge

C22B42BE-F0B1-4455-B520-D6FC482846B7.thumb.jpeg.c77184415f20913e4c670f2251a233cd.jpeg

Another shot from Billingshurst. A very active storm with quite a lot of anvil crawlers visible. It just burst into life all of a sudden. There was also the strange flickering lightning phenomenon within the anvil, tiny sparks going off very regularly. On radar for about 5 minutes it was really prolific!

Started heading that way and it died off (as usual)

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
21 minutes ago, Another Kent clipper said:

The one this morning at 04.30 odd, east of London

I wish I was closer to it. That’s exactly what I saw but could also see some big clear CCs in there too

Was that video from this morning? Wow I didn’t think it lasted that long - was trying to drive towards it when it petered-out/moved away

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
31 minutes ago, Another Kent clipper said:

The one this morning at 04.30 odd, east of London

Ah fab well done @Another Kent clipper

This is the storm that woke me up and it was gorgeous!! Had more storms later when I got to work - alas couldn’t watch and admire!

Great past few hours - still humid out but mid levels looking much more stable.

• Like 1

Posted

I think thats it for storms in my neck of the woods for now. Hope it stays cool. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Thunder in Darlington 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
5 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

Thunder in Darlington 

Aye Boro there's some pretty active cells marching up this way. Unsure on how charged they'll become but great to hear at least some of them are producing. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Wonder if we will get a chance to see any decent convection get steered over from France tonight. 500hpa winds are in the right direction, albeit ingredients aren’t great here. Amazingly enough, Ive got the old AM radio on, and I’m pretty certain I’m managing to pick up the crackling from that huge German/Belgian storm! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
2 minutes ago, P-M said:

Aye Boro there's some pretty active cells marching up this way. Unsure on how charged they'll become but great to hear at least some of them are producing. 

Extremely load thunder must be right above me the house shook

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Turning very dark here with some interesting skies and cloudscapes...

No thunder or lightning yet though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy!

Hi, Thunder heard off the coast of Spurn Point, very dark clouds out to sea.

Cheers, Glenn