Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective Discussion - 25th June 2019 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I forgot to mention that I saw a poor wood pigeon flying frantically through the storm last night. Saw another bird but couldn’t make out what it was. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters
3 hours ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

Had to make do with watching the action on webcams from my..blissfully cool air conditioned hotel room in Crete, but blimey it looked like you guys had a good night.

Yeah you missed out on a good storm here lots of IC lightning not many CG's though. Plenty of booming thunder and constant flashing. And some rain/hail for good measure. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

Met office issues warning for tomorrow with emphasis on northern England and southeast Scotland later in the day even so don't expect anything like the night just gone , well I'd be very surprised anyway 

Edited by Gordon Webb

Posted

Here was a treat! Storm cell from Wrexham hit first very dry, hardly any rain. Sat on step and instantly had CC direct above me, heard the buzz and felt the heat. That was my que to head in as was too close with a low base. Needed a change of pants too! lol. Had over a good 2 hours of stormage, with some nice Thunder, CC'S and a few near by CG's  

Edited by CCJD1983
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
2 hours ago, Karl83 said:

Well that was a pretty awesome night. Although I cant help but feel slightly disappointed for not getting any SLR shots. And now I'm left wanting more and more . Anyway a very impressive light show was had by many so the memories will do. Here are some stills from a few videos I took. 

VideoCapture_20190724-094450.jpgVideoCapture_20190724-101951.jpgVideoCapture_20190724-094443.jpg

VideoCapture_20190724-102014.jpgVideoCapture_20190724-102011.jpgVideoCapture_20190724-095605.jpg

VideoCapture_20190724-095509.jpgVideoCapture_20190724-015153.jpgVideoCapture_20190724-094055.jpg

VideoCapture_20190724-100001.jpgVideoCapture_20190724-093932.jpgVideoCapture_20190724-101401.jpg

VideoCapture_20190724-094100.jpgVideoCapture_20190724-101444.jpgVideoCapture_20190724-101432.jpg

VideoCapture_20190724-094152.jpgVideoCapture_20190724-094134.jpg

Some of those resemble shots from Tornado Alley!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Nice captures @James1979 - that's one thing that was strangely lacking here last night; visible bolts of lightning. I only saw a few during the whole 90 mins of action, with the rest being veiled in some way. Made for a relatively poor filming experience and nothing for the slow-mo to feast upon.

@Flash bang flash bang etc (nice username), your theory seems sound to me; there did seem to be a lot of short-lived tower development with brief flurries of lightning activity as the updrafts punched into the cool air associated with the upper trough. The hail/rain was very fitful in nature here; from nothing to full fury in the blink of an eye and vice versa.

On reflection, now that the adrenaline has subsided and I've had a few hours sleep, the scarcity of lightning detail and booming thunder lowers the score to 6/10 for me. Strike rates were scarcely higher than  summer 2014's biggest events, and those had excellent lightning detail plus some truly thunderous, er, thunder!

Possibly, I was locally unlucky with an outflow layer of low cloud or something acting as a veil.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
3 minutes ago, Lu. said:

It was quite a difficult night to photograph, lots of IC and minimal CG, biblical rain & sometimes the wind was off the scale.

Heres one photo done, more later.

Im glad I headed back home.

One thing from last night I will remember tho, is the cloud directly above me was dishing out IC fireworks, but it was the gurgling of the thunder with it. Never heard anything like that before & made me very uneasy.

DSC_0169_97_fused.jpg

That's a fantastic shot!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.
35 minutes ago, TomW said:

I'm still tired from last night! 

Me too but can't see any other chances like this for while and last night just makes me want more... Think I'll wait to see what the knowledgeable on here say before making a decision.

• Like 1

Posted

Here's a nice clip of some lightening I took last night in Surrey. I was looking towards Heathrow Airport and NW London. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

It was all elevated lightning here, quite a few flashes but not much in the way of sound. CG lightning seems very rare these days.

• Like 1

Posted

Here on Bingley west yorks we had frequent cc lightening with decent forks but only a couple decent booms.

Mainly gentle rumbles.Also had pea sized hail and heavy rain but seen worse.

6/10 for me.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

What a way to get out of the no storms club last night, one of the best light shows I've ever seen, stood in Mayflower Park watching it come over.  Was literally constant flashing in every possible direction. Interestingly there was an orange hue to the lightning coming up from the south but after it had passed over it was more purple. Only slight disappointment was that the thunder was largely muted, bar a couple of louder cracks, even when it was overhead.

I think in terms of intensity, the storm in April last year is still king, also it was very elevated with few CGs.  Still well worth only getting an hours sleep and being knackered for work this morning and glad so many got to join in the fun.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.

Late night last night so late start today . And whilst I apologise for the poor quality (I had to use a video capture app for my phone footage) I am loving my chinook in a storm pic.  It was a spectacular show up at Odiham airfield: so much lightning W, S then N that I didn't know where to look!

Image-1920_1080_20190724T113127-02-01.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)
9 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

It was all elevated lightning here, quite a few flashes but not much in the way of sound. CG lightning seems very rare these days.

Because these were high based elevated storms, with most of the lightning being quite high up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Genuinely incredible forecast!!! BRING IT ON!

0A6B6CB6-80E6-42A1-95F3-470A64BBE8EA.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

As people are scoring last night.... 

8.5 for me in Stroud. I only saw forked lightening maybe 2 dozen times (which to be fair is more than all last year, and the year before..) but my God the sky was electric. It was strobing with high level stuff constantly for an hour and a half or more, and it was bright enough at the peak to light everything up more than daylight. Was right overhead me. The thunder wasn’t loud or that much, but it was constant for about 30 mins of that. 

I’ve only had one 10/10 storm, 20 years ago at the top of Glastonbury Tor, went right over the top of the hill. It was strobing then, but all forked lightening, pink, blue, white, orange and even red! It was everywhere. 

• Like 2

Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

That’s what I like to see!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Some great storm photos and videos this morning from across the UK. I am still yet to search through mine as I have been trying to recharge my own batteries after not getting to bed until gone 4am. It is so refreshing that the storms came to me for a change.

Tomorrow evening looks interesting. Incredible heat is likely to build with a plume of very hot air from Spain at the same time as a cold front moves in from the Atlantic. The atmosphere will be strongly capped, especially further south and east, until later in the day with high levels of CAPE being built. Once the cooler air from the incoming trough moves in and erodes the cap this could be released in explosive fashion. There will also, much like last night, be ample deep layer shear to allow storms to quickly become organised. 

If storms develop earlier and become surface based, this could result in some severe storms with supercells easily possible. I believe the NMM WRF chart below is indicating this possible scenario across South Yorkshire towards the Humber with a huge storm cell being predicted.

viewimage.thumb.png.d14c132fc439116d96f8c0fadda05ff1.png

There is then a decent risk of, possibly elevated, storms breaking out through the night. This especially in eastern parts. 

All of this is open to doubt as it is an ever changing scenario. I will be looking forward to expert opinions later today, although the Met Office are already on board (albeit low risk in there matrix)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
5 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Some great storm photos and videos this morning from across the UK. I am still yet to search through mine as I have been trying to recharge my own batteries after not getting to bed until gone 4am. It is so refreshing that the storms came to me for a change.

Tomorrow evening looks interesting. Incredible heat is likely to build with a plume of very hot air from Spain at the same time as a cold front moves in from the Atlantic. The atmosphere will be strongly capped, especially further south and east, until later in the day with high levels of CAPE being built. Once the cooler air from the incoming trough moves in and erodes the cap this could be released in explosive fashion. There will also, much like last night, be ample deep layer shear to allow storms to quickly become organised. 

If storms develop earlier and become surface based, this could result in some severe storms with supercells easily possible. I believe the NMM WRF chart below is indicating this possible scenario across South Yorkshire towards the Humber with a huge storm cell being predicted.

viewimage.thumb.png.d14c132fc439116d96f8c0fadda05ff1.png

There is then a decent risk of, possibly elevated, storms breaking out through the night. This especially in eastern parts. 

All of this is open to doubt as it is an ever changing scenario. I will be looking forward to expert opinions later today, although the Met Office are already on board (albeit low risk in there matrix)

A possibly very historical and exciting day to come tomorrow. 

You thinking of chasing tomorrow Supa? I am able to, but to be quite honest, I think I could be in the sweet spot! All eyes will be to the South, and I will be off the mark if I detect any possible misses to the W or the E, the East being more likely I would say. 

I can’t wait to analyse the inevitable forecasts come tomorrow morning. I will no doubt stand out in the rain just purely to cool down, given the predicted highs of tomorrow. The rain will probably actually feel warm! 

Posted

Are these storms going to be breaking out late afternoon early evening in our neck of the woods? @Supacell

Posted
1 minute ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

A possibly very historical and exciting day to come tomorrow. 

You thinking of chasing tomorrow Supa? I am able to, but to be quite honest, I think I could be in the sweet spot! All eyes will be to the South, and I will be off the mark if I detect any possible misses to the W or the E, the East being more likely I would say. 

I can’t wait to analyse the inevitable forecasts come tomorrow morning. I will no doubt stand out in the rain just purely to cool down, given the predicted highs of tomorrow. The rain will probably actually feel warm! 

do you think the storm would affect me here in the very far south east?

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Mitch perrott said:

do you think the storm would affect me here in the very far south east?

Hard to say where storms will fire or when or maybe even if

Best best is to wait until tomorrow and see what develops and go from there

I live just near Coventry and even though I'm in the met office warning zone I expect most of any activity to be more east of me

Edited by Gordon Webb