Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective Discussion - 25th June 2019 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
8 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

The SE tip is battered by thunderstorms during most events. Let us have our rare moment of fun.  

Yeah— I’m very happy for the people who got hit, You were all due a spectacular show!! I’m not THAT upset; I’m just showcasing the bitter irony of the Stormy SE missing out, while huge swathes of the W & N get pummelled. It’s a like a complete role reversal! Haha.

But again, I’m very happy for the Midlands and the likes!  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
9 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

Yeah— I’m very happy for the people who got hit, You were all due a spectacular show!! I’m not THAT upset; I’m just showcasing the bitter irony of the Stormy SE missing out, while huge swathes of the W & N get pummelled. It’s a like a complete role reversal! Haha.

But again, I’m very happy for the Midlands and the likes!  

I wanted the SE to get a storm despite also wanting the forecasters to be right, as they’ve had a couple of bad events recently. Turns out a lot more of the east got something than was initially thought but looking at the forecasts it all ties in.

Tomo night could be tremendous tho - the heat in place will be extreme we just need to tap into it.

Really wish I’d stayed around Newbury yesterday instead of pushing on into the Peaks, but you live and learn. Got the storm - just too much of it!

I would love for tomo to be the night a lot of us easterners get to hang out near home and enjoy the show - although turns out I could have done that yesterday. Balls.  

• Like 5

Posted

I watched the first batch circa 1.30am from Swadlincote,the storm area roughly over Rugeley to the west, the lightning was pretty much constant from that all the while keeping an eye on the area from the south approaching me for a direct hit. The gust front when it arrived was very strong, trees blowing all over the place, had to retreat indoors after because of the rain, but great lightning show, one close CG with shotgun thunder. Been along time since I’ve seen a nighttime show like that, epic stuff.

• Like 1

Posted

UKMO yellow warning now out for a large area for tomorrow afternoon 

Edited by ChezWeather
  • Like 3

Posted

The approaching cell(s!) looking south from the open land near Stroud. Ramped up the exposure to capture the frequency of the flashes - really was intense. Within about 10 mins rain began and I was running away

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Really something to scroll through the radar and see how the storms organised into a sort of super-squall as they headed north.

There seemed to be a slight increasing trend in CG strikes and loudness of thunder as they travelled.

Overall I probably saw over 1000 CC strikes but just 2 CG strikes.

The rain sounded phenomenal at times, but actual totals are surprisingly low; 9.2 mm here for example, with other nearby sights similar. The raindrops did seem unusually large and with ah int of solids at times, implying melted hail. So that may explain why it sounded so much more than it was - as well as the radar returns overhead being 75-150 mm/hr on four occasions.

As the storms passed, the temp fell off a cliff from 25.2*C to 21.0*C in the space of half an hour. Some relief for sleeping! Final minimum was 17.9*C just before sunrise.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

What a show last night for most,i have a lot of video footage to edit so i will have to do that when i get in from work tonight

the lightning was mostly IC but there are a few CG'S in there with one close one that s**t me up and the boom off it was incredible

thanks to all for posting pics and vids,they are all amazing

more tomorrow night please

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
22 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

UKMO yellow warning now out for a large area for tomorrow afternoon 

Starts at 15:00 which given the UKV shows us under a Thunderstorm then is understandable.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
19 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

The approaching cell(s!) looking south from the open land near Stroud. Ramped up the exposure to capture the frequency of the flashes - really was intense. Within about 10 mins rain began and I was running away

Can’t tell where you were, but if you’re Stroud way again, and storms are a bit further west and south than Stroud, go to Coaley Peak viewpoint, off the B road between Stroud and Uley (on the right just past the left turn to Nympsfield). Great view of the Black Mountains all the way round to the Malverns. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Unbelievable pictures/videos posted in here - brilliant stuff everyone!

It was a total flop here - was expecting it all to move in a more Northerly direction but it kept going North East! 

I saw some flashes/fork lighting in the distance but it was all high based with no thunder. (All the action was to my South East, East and North East!

I see the Metoffice have decided to leave me out the warning for tomorrow also - risk of locally intense thunderstorms across Northern England  and Southern/Eastern Scotland. 

BB5E0D99-C877-4DE0-83DA-DBB8EB2878F4.thumb.png.dfdc40ff5ba297c1344b68934a4b6b1b.png

It sucks to be a storm lover in the UK and Ireland most of the time (as I found out again last night ) but when it delivers its pretty spectacular!

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 1

Posted

DSC_0025.thumb.JPG.a0a32ef61034cdc57c4362d71d9c5470.JPGDSC_0026.thumb.JPG.80bebaf7dd362cc38912fda81e57a52a.JPG

What in Incredible night that was! These are my 2 best shots over Weston Super Mare as the storm passed over the Bristol Channel into SE Wales! Could be better but i'm a bit of a novice with the camera.

• Like 9

Posted
30 minutes ago, Singularity said:

Really something to scroll through the radar and see how the storms organised into a sort of super-squall as they headed north.

There seemed to be a slight increasing trend in CG strikes and loudness of thunder as they travelled.

Overall I probably saw over 1000 CC strikes but just 2 CG strikes.

The rain sounded phenomenal at times, but actual totals are surprisingly low; 9.2 mm here for example, with other nearby sights similar. The raindrops did seem unusually large and with ah int of solids at times, implying melted hail. So that may explain why it sounded so much more than it was - as well as the radar returns overhead being 75-150 mm/hr on four occasions.

As the storms passed, the temp fell off a cliff from 25.2*C to 21.0*C in the space of half an hour. Some relief for sleeping! Final minimum was 17.9*C just before sunrise.

There was a point I think over 5 mins there were about 10 close strikes (the ones where your vision goes white for a split second) and I did see a lot of CGs on the periphery (while driving) after that, but mostly strobing IC stuff which would have made for good photos of the structure if the rain had ceased - but it kept backbuilding every 10-15 mins and kicking off again!

I almost think they were like vicious popcorn storms, just densely packed together - and with the constant new cells generating behind them it made for a particularly nerve-racking couple of hours. Didn’t want to leave the safety of the van whenever the rain started, and had absolutely no idea what the sky was doing directly overhead. Quite a strange MCS - if you ask me - but a particularly violent and dangerous one for anyone caught out (or in!) it.

I hear three children went missing in wales during the storms there, but haven’t had chance to check this on the news. Hope they are ok?

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Fantastic to see so many people get the storms they wanted last night. The radar returns were remarkable given how widespread the storms were!

Pleased to say we also joined in at around half 3 in the morning. It only lasted 10 minutes however, if the storms had moved up quicker they may have had more of a spark. Some further grumbles of thunder around sunrise but nothing dramatic. Better then nothing however, 

Lets see what Thursday brings 

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like (with hindsight!) the place to be last night was Portsmouth early on and then transferring back up to the hills near Waterlooville, or back up the A3 to the higher levels near Guildford to catch the tops of the distant cells.

Already planning tomo, but it seems like everyone is keeping that under their hat for now  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

I really am tempted to take Friday off work now to chase Thursday night. Neeeed. more. input.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

After much deliberation I decided to stay in Bournemouth and headed for Southbourne clifftop. Was treated to a spectacular light show, largely from IC lightning, and then got pummelled by torrential rain and reasonably large hail (sounded like really big hail from inside the car)! 

Then went up to Picket Post just off the A31 near Burley and saw lots of CGs, mainly from the cells pushing inland to the east of me. 

All in all, a great night, but the sparsity of CGs in the Channel and the quietness of the thunder, even when lightning was overhead and constant, left me a little unfulfilled, which I realise is nuts considering the lack of storms here for what seems like an age. From a personal perspective, I much preferred the storms of 2014 & 2015, but last night was pretty amazing nonetheless! 

• Like 2

Posted

Gutted is an understatement for my neck of the woods(Anglesey) We were under the warning area for most of the day. My concerns were raised by the later warnings by netweather  and convective, which moved us to the edge of the warning area. And so it proved to be. I did witness a few flashes from a small cell towards Llandudno, but that was it. I took the dog out about midnight and there was a cool onshore breeze. I knew it was game over. Made up for everyone else

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Karl83 said:

I really am tempted to take Friday off work now to chase Thursday night. Neeeed. more. input.

I'm still tired from last night! 

• Like 2