Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective Discussion - 25th June 2019 onwards

4 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

Is the area with heavy rain near Brest where storms will develop later or is it a bit early yet? 

Screenshot_20190723-193309.png

Yep that’s the area to watch. Meto have the current precip nailed, not good for central and east Dorset......Maybe time to hit the mojitos.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast
2 minutes ago, Rapodo said:

Anyone a bit concerned by the lack of action so far? Thought would have had more signs of activity by now and no signs of any instability in Dorset now. Very odd. 

There are showers approaching Cornwall and Devon and West of Brest - I think it is these that will develop as they move North/NE.

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters
4 minutes ago, SarahWxm said:

Still 32c here and humidity unbearable. Can’t hardly breath it’s so bad! 

Is Wrexham NE Wales in the firing line for definite tonight? If so what time is it due to hit?

Hard to tell at the moment keep an eye on the radars for later most likely early morning between 1-3am but can't rule something out a bit earlier.

Edited by Summerstorm

Posted
1 minute ago, Alderc said:

Yep that’s the area to watch. Meto have the current precip nailed, not good for central and east Dorset......Maybe time to hit the mojitos.....

Thought so, was just thinking it looks a tad more West on the radar, though from past radar watching storms can do an Eastward shift. Who knows 

4 minutes ago, Rapodo said:

Anyone a bit concerned by the lack of action so far? Thought would have had more signs of activity by now and no signs of any instability in Dorset now. Very odd. 

Not at all! The main action is primed for later. Eyes down towards France as the evening wears on. The radar will look very, very different in a few hours time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
5 minutes ago, mikeofmacc said:

Looking good still, here in Manchester. Baking hot and a little humid.

Quick question about capturing a few photos of lightning here. Is it best to catch the lightning looking South as the storm rolls in or as it moves away to the North? I've got a North facing vantage point to keep my camera on a tripod dry, should we get something.

Mike.

You’ll get some excellent forked lightning as the storm rolls away. This is fast becoming the part of the storm I get particularly excited about

Saying that - videoing the approach often captures the atmosphere better as the sound seems to differ (probably the humidity).

All storms differ - some more subtly than others - this is one of the shots taken just over a month ago as that Kent clipper moved away:

8F942C1C-AD3A-43E0-85B5-5833AB9B9291.thumb.jpeg.bc01a292945809a0bda3e8e8f7f595ef.jpeg

It was one of the most awesome moments I’ve had during a storm so far - zero rain, almost silent lightning (was quite a way off) but the bolts reached for miles and miles.

You should be really well placed tonight for a corker of a lightshow- my sister, her cats and husband live in Rochdale and have one of the most incredible views to the west. Nearly went there tonight but I have work tomo in Londor

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Summerstorm said:

Hard to tell at the moment keep an eye on the radars for later most likely early morning between 1-3am but can't rule something out a bit earlier.

Thanks, keep hoping but I always end up disappointed lol. The atmosphere feels absolutely primed for it, so humid and getting more so as the evening goes on. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Everyone needs to stop for an hour and have a cup of tea

Or another beer  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
34 minutes ago, Harry said:

Currently 29C and the most stable looking sky here. Am dissolving hope of any SE action this evening as has been tempted by a few models.

Good luck everyone!! Hope you have an amazing night!!

As an aside, app back to 39C for Thursday

Some echoes showing up south of IOW now.  Thought it might be false but its backed up by the satellite. 

Edited by John90
  • Like 1

Would be chuffin bin day tomorrow as well  I just know I'm gonna be fooled when Doris over the road wheels her bin out at 11:45pm tonight  

Posted

Sferic just plotted In South Wales - on the edge of Margam Country Park, SE of Port Talbot area.

Edited by EllyTech
spelling

Posted

Looks a bit threatening on the Birmingham Airport webcam. Has sound as well

Bit of a pain when the picture/live stream goes off but just scroll back to the top of the page and press play again.

Birmingham Airport Webcam Link

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
15 minutes ago, Rapodo said:

Nope, all going to plan so far. Storms are beginning to initiate to the south, was always expected to be later rather than sooner

1270988172_Screenshot2019-07-23at19_56_16.thumb.png.2783a51efa6f18a326e81a9ed15e871b.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

People saying it's delayed- don't worry. It's one of those situations where things can destabilise rapidly in the space of about half an hour.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Good luck tonight everyone!

Hoping to be in prime spot here for later  and luckily off work tomorrow too...

Posted

I think the little storm over France early this afternoon got us all hyped up ,, and then the odd dash of sferics in other places also aided this.. 
now, I want to continue looking at cloud depths to see if anything is developing. 

1 minute ago, Met4Cast said:

Nope, all going to plan so far. Storms are beginning to initiate to the south, was always expected to be later rather than sooner

1270988172_Screenshot2019-07-23at19_56_16.thumb.png.2783a51efa6f18a326e81a9ed15e871b.png

My concern is once those echoes go they should literally pop suggesting they struggling to break the cap in place. Next hour or so critical for the SW imo. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

Sferic just plotted In South Wales - on the edge of Margam Country Park, SE of Port Talbert area.

oddly nothing has come up on Blitzortung, but I do see a relatively high top cloud around the area.. compared to everywhere else.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
3 minutes ago, Alderc said:

My concern is once those echoes go they should literally pop suggesting they struggling to break the cap in place. Next hour or so critical for the SW imo. 

Cells will begin breaking out along the leading edge of the EML plume as it moves north, anything that has already formed is more or less bonus viewing entertainment, post 9pm we should see things beginning to develop rapidly and widely 

Edited by Met4Cast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Meto radar seems bullish on storms later

image.thumb.png.c032a2e4b961d73b89b06b4c62e8aa36.png

Storms moving up from Cornwall whilst a second batch forms further east over the IOW and moves North.

Shame its being so sluggish though, it may lose its spark by the time it reaches Hull as it'll be so late in the night...