Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective Discussion - 25th June 2019 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective Weather and Snow
Just now, cheese said:

We had hail the size of 2p coins that day, the roofs of a local Sainsbury’s and Boots caved in. 

I remember that was the biggest flash flood I ever saw (and still is).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Im smelling 3rd July 2015......

Eww no thanks. That completely missed me.

Swanage got nailed:

I recorded 2mm of rain.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms/Rain
4 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Indeed. Hoping it’s a halfway house. I don’t even want to be underneath it I want to be like 5-10 miles out so I have a good view. 

Your not so far from me, you chasing?

At this moment im actually torn but the car is ready to go. Think this is the first time ive seen a mess of whats going to happen!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 minutes ago, MetWeather said:

I remember that was the biggest flash flood I ever saw (and still is).

Heaviest rain I can remember is sometime in the early 2000s- can't remember the exact year but it was August and a cold front pushed in from the west. I remember the BBC forecast and radar grab showing a straight line of torrential rain down the W of the country. The roofs of a couple of shops caved in here and water was coming in through the patio doors at my auntie's- the garden was that flooded.

Think Kev found the event for me but I've forgotten what year he said it was now.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Azazel said:

Indeed. Hoping it’s a halfway house. I don’t even want to be underneath it I want to be like 5-10 miles out so I have a good view. 

Yeah I'd still be happy if it was East enough to get good lightning, the storm early July 2015 wasn't a direct it but was still a great storm to witness

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
36 minutes ago, Summerstorm said:

Looking at the Met Office forecast they are suggesting showers around 7 or 8 in the evening that may occur further east before the main plume pushes up and triggers a larger band of Showers/Storms across the SW moving up through the Welsh border and West Midlands and into the NW. They are also suggesting some scattered showers early morning i.e 6-7am across EA and the SE so not surprising he has issued a risk further east as the potential is there for the odd shower or storm to initiate over there hence why he has covered these areas but with a less likely risk. However still looking likely that the main risk of the worst impacts falls into the purple and pink boxes from what i can interpret unless a massive shift happens. Good luck though hope some of you others get some as well, but i haven't had a proper storm for so long as they keep missing by 10-20 miles and it annoys me when some of you complain about missing them when some of you have been treated to some amazing storms over the last few years.

You SHOULD do well from this,

As I wrote earlier in the thread it’s been 18 years since NE Wales had memorable night time storms. A repeat is long overdue I’d say...and I’m missing it!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Just flicking through some old lightning photos and found some from 23rd July 2013.... And here we are again. 

EDIT: Turns out I cant post the lightning archive from that day.

Edited by Karl83

Posted
6 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Heaviest rain I can remember is sometime in the early 2000s- can't remember the exact year but it was August and a cold front pushed in from the west. I remember the BBC forecast and radar grab showing a straight line of torrential rain down the W of the country. The roofs of a couple of shops caved in here and water was coming in through the patio doors at my auntie's- the garden was that flooded.

Think Kev found the event for me but I've forgotten what year he said it was now.

I vaguely remember some flash flooding here in August 04

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Lu. said:

Your not so far from me, you chasing?

At this moment im actually torn but the car is ready to go. Think this is the first time ive seen a mess of whats going to happen!

I need to scrape together some money for fuel and I will be out and about somewhere. Going to meet my friend in Whitchurch and watch the radar basically!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, ChezWeather said:

I vaguely remember some flash flooding here in August 04

It could be that year. Extremely thundery month.

It was definitely pre graphic change on the BBC forecasts.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted

Sat in the garden, 23c at 9pm, impending day of 30c and storm risk, what more can you ask for?!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!
1 minute ago, Azazel said:

I’m determined to get my first lightning shot (proper one that isn’t a still from a video). I have my DSLR, shutter release cable, a spanking new wide angle lens, just bought a new expensive tripod.

when the Bournemouth supercell passed by in 2015, I had sunk 6 beers and nearly a half bottle of rum. It was pitch black and I couldn’t figure out how to operate my camera

This time I’ll behave.

Yep I know that feeling!

My camera only ever comes out when something weather related turns up, and it's then that I realize I've forgotten where the buttons are

Anyway I have a new lens I've been desperate to test out, hopefully tomorrow, I will finally get the chance, but I might have to travel

Christchurch will probably be too far east.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
5 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I’m determined to get my first lightning shot (proper one that isn’t a still from a video). I have my DSLR, shutter release cable, a spanking new wide angle lens, just bought a new expensive tripod.

when the Bournemouth supercell passed by in 2015, I had sunk 6 beers and nearly a half bottle of rum. It was pitch black and I couldn’t figure out how to operate my camera

This time I’ll behave.

Nice one Azazel, 

i use anywhere between 8-15 seconds 

iso 100-300 

f2.8 up to 5.0 

just cant remember exact settings I used. 

I'm no expert and I just play with the settings and hope for the best. 

It's been so long since I photograph lightning I wish I could remember the settings that I had to capture some of my photos. 

Good luck though  and if the lightning is as frequent as being banded about you should easily be able to capture your first good shot . 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms/Rain
7 minutes ago, Azazel said:

This time I’ll behave.

I only go out for storms for photography. 

Had my trusty bridge camera do most of the work in recent years, and I love the results.

this is my first year with a proper dslr so bring it on. It’s waterproofing the car that’s my latest issue. Shooting from the boot is bringing all sorts of problems. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I moved a year too late for the Bournemouth cell as if I lived where I do now I'd have had a front row seat for it. As it was I could still see it fairly well from where I was but it was fairly distant. 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Lu. said:

I only go out for storms for photography. 

Had my trusty bridge camera do most of the work in recent years, and I love the results.

this is my first year with a proper dslr so bring it on. It’s waterproofing the car that’s my latest issue. Shooting from the boot is bringing all sorts of problems. 

Haha photographing storms becomes a juggling act of being close enough to it to get decent results but also being somewhere there’s shelter. There’s a field not too far from where I live that looks down the A34 towards Winchester and it has an amazing view south, but there is absolutely nowhere to run if it comes overhead and it’s not near any roads either:/

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, offerman said:

Nice one Azazel, 

i use anywhere between 8-15 seconds 

iso 100-300 

f2.8 up to 5.0 

just cant remember exact settings I used. 

I'm no expert and I just play with the settings and hope for the best. 

It's been so long since I photograph lightning I wish I could remember the settings that I had to capture some of my photos. 

Good luck though  and if the lightning is as frequent as being banded about you should easily be able to capture your first good shot . 

I usually find that once I have a consistent shutter speed i want to shoot at and keep the iso the lowest possible and adjust the aperture if shots come out to bright or to dim

Edited by TomW
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
4 minutes ago, TomW said:

I usually find that once I have a consistent shutter speed i want to shoot at and keep the iso the lowest possible and adjust the aperture if shots come out to bright or to dim

Thanks Tom, 

I am still learning and found that too about keeping ISO low. 

Good about only adjusting aperture though .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

I used to film thunderstorms but I always felt like I had missed out because I was faffing with the settings, so now I just watch and enjoy! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
4 minutes ago, Mesoscale said:

I used to film thunderstorms but I always felt like I had missed out because I was faffing with the settings, so now I just watch and enjoy! 

I used to film thunderstorms but I got fed up of lightning striking in every direction but the direction I was pointing my camera, so now I just watch and enjoy!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Today was another awesome day.

Here’s an interesting stat:

During a storm today, I counted the amount of lightning strikes in the storm. I counted 14. I counted the amount of CGs too. I got 14.

I also got some pictures of the storm developing:

872FF6A4-C2F0-4E6E-966C-B6C0081BB997.jpeg

7D018807-CA8F-4F68-8CA5-B73793BC233F.jpeg

F50EA89F-9C0B-4D52-ACA8-E9C6F5BFC078.jpeg

A58EBDC2-608E-400D-8864-208E81A2E378.jpeg

4EF86E37-DB17-4CF1-B278-057B668050AA.jpeg

5A7E9844-FF75-4C01-953A-CEA00C4111AE.jpeg

AC248FD6-192B-4C36-ACF4-87089194B337.jpeg

B56F0EFA-9313-4159-9EB3-E339AF6103F0.jpeg

5F20DC2C-A455-4B4E-B07C-12AA3B3C9D13.jpeg

• Like 9