Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective Discussion - 25th June 2019 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
3 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

Would love to have a storm event like the South got end of May about 2 years ago, I remember watching the radar of a storm that wasn't in the forecast and there was 500 strikes a minute. Not sure if anyone here remembers that?

Iwould never let myself forget that particular event; The duration & the sheer frequency of the lightning was beyond incredible. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
6 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I love how enthusiastic everyone is over what is essentially a marginal event

Guess it’s because it’s Friday? Either way, I’m getting the feeling this could go better than expected. Not likely we’ll see another July 18th for at least a few more weeks but some nice fireworks will do perfectly  

Because we are desperate,i have had a couple of rumbles the other week and a storm to my north earlier that didn't last long 

i am that exited that there is sferics near the uk lol

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, LightningLover said:

Iwould never let myself forget that particular event; The duration & the sheer frequency of the lightning was beyond incredible. 

It was probably the best radar watching I've witnessed, back then I only really bothered about storms in my area but that was pretty spectacular to see. I believe it only started out as a small storm and got more violent as it approached UK shores. Can't even remember if there was much cape in the model runs

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
10 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

Would love to have a storm event like the South got end of May about 2 years ago, I remember watching the radar of a storm that wasn't in the forecast and there was 500 strikes a minute. Not sure if anyone here remembers that?

Are you referring to the storm that hit Devon and Cornwall on 27th May 2017? Plenty of videos on YouTube of the constant lightning. I doubt tonight will offer up any such goods, with nowhere near the instability of that night, but next week could if we get an overnight destabilisation of the very hot airmass that is forecast to be in place. Or are you talking one year later on the night of the 26-27th May 2018?

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
4 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

It was on a number of weather round up shows. 2 or 3 distinct cells as I remember - we were in florence under a high pressure that wouldn’t budge I remember the night watching webcams from Cornwall from our hotel room at midnight 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Supacell said:

Are you referring to the storm that hit Devon and Cornwall on 27th May 2017? Plenty of videos on YouTube of the constant lightning. I doubt tonight will offer up any such goods, with nowhere near the instability of that night, but next week could if we get an overnight destabilisation of the very hot airmass that is forecast to be in place.

That's the one, and yeah fingers crossed for next week 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Didn't happen in in this country, so you may want to delete this, but when my family and i were on holiday in Thailand back in April, the one storm i witnessed there was something i had never seen before, the sound from those rumbles was deafening, the rainfall totals must of been immense, but the flashes occurred almost every second for about 30 minutes, it was absolutely phenomenal, something that i will never see again, certainly anywhere near these shores. Just wish i could of recorded some of it. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Wow! heavy convective rain just came from nowhere!

• Like 1

Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

hoping to see something XD

Posted

It looks like the South Coast and Kent is going to see some nice action around 3-4AM.

It's interesting that systems that move up from the channel, follow this similar trajectory. 

Screenshot_20190719_224818_cz.ackee.ventusky.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
19 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

Didn't happen in in this country, so you may want to delete this, but when my family and i were on holiday in Thailand back in April, the one storm i witnessed there was something i had never seen before, the sound from those rumbles was deafening, the rainfall totals must of been immense, but the flashes occurred almost every second for about 30 minutes, it was absolutely phenomenal, something that i will never see again, certainly anywhere near these shores. Just wish i could of recorded some of it. 

Reminds me of a hotel I stayed at while travelling in China. It was in Beijing and I was laid in bed and thought it was the neon flashing from the hotel opposite but it was this stunning electrical storm in complete silence going on overhead. Just watched in awe for about 15 mins (can’t remember the details now ) but the following night there was another (although that wasn’t as quiet )

Also flying back from Kuala Lumpur on another trip we flew directly over a storm and the plane banked so I was looking out the window directly down inside the top with lightning spouting up and out to the sides. Was just incredible - but we passed over it in a matter of moments.

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
Just now, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Reminds me of a hotel O stayed at while travelling in China. It was in Beijing and I was kid in bed and thought it was the neon flashing from the hotel opposite but it was this stunning electrical storm in complete silence going on overhead. Just watched in awe for about 15 mins (can’t remember the details now ) but the following night there was another (although that wasn’t as quiet )

Also flying back from Kuala Lumpur we flew directly over a storm and the plane banked so I was looking out the window directly down inside the top with lightning spouting up and out to the sides. Was just incredible - but we passed over it in a matter of moments.

One thing for sure is that the lightning detectors just give up on detecting storms over the tropics such as Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand etc, purely because they would crash. Those tropical storms produce tens of thousands of strikes most days of the year. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

It’s raining rather heavily.

it is wet.

OMG THUNDER

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Thunder and lightning near Brighton

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms/Rain

Some nice Lightening here down on the seafront. Biblical rain. Just nice to be able to see something. 

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Lu. said:

Some nice Lightening here down on the seafront. Biblical rain. Just nice to be able to see something. 

Guessing most of it is elevated?

Posted

There is some high tops/clouds starting to rise as it approaches the south coast.

https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/km

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms/Rain
13 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

Guessing most of it is elevated?

Being a noob to all this weather stuff I haven't a clue