Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective Discussion - 25th June 2019 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
Just now, Mitch perrott said:

What do you lot think will happen in the southeast, any action where im at or do you think it will be more up north towards manchester tonight 

In the far south, but much later in the night

Posted
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, NLC
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft
6 minutes ago, Mixer 85 said:

Was doing vat returns so soon as the storms started popping up I jumped in the car. Managed to stay under the Louth/Meath cell and got ahead of it as it moved offshore. The rainfall was intense with frequent flashes and some shotgun thunder. Managed to see one CG strike which was quite impressive.

Currently sat at Blackrock, just south of Dundalk watching the storm as it rolls into the Irish Sea. Thunder was almost constant a while ago but currently very little now. Unfortunately didn’t see any lightning bolts as I’m on the periphery and can’t see through the rain/hail core.

Might head back to Meath now and try intercept this next storm.

Firs picture was taken in north west Meath, second here in Blackrock. Not the most photogenic structures. 

Happy hunting guys, hope you get your share too.

A96CD788-2466-4B96-B0E1-478772F82F73.jpeg

7B356262-FB41-42E2-82DF-B39837D3AD4A.jpeg

Congrats, good to see someone out there chasing, I'm in Dublin myself, waited all day for them to come to me, no luck of course haha. I agree the storms have died down considerably now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather, thunderstorms, snow
2 minutes ago, Raindrops said:

Congrats, good to see someone out there chasing, I'm in Dublin myself, waited all day for them to come to me, no luck of course haha. I agree the storms have died down considerably now.

Thanks Raindrops, it’s been an exciting afternoon/evening. Certainly beats paperwork hah.

Making my way back home now with the hope of meeting the Meath cell en route. Any recommendations from any of the good folk on here as to where would be a good place to go next? What’s the chances of something supercellular appearing on the radars? Rarely get out for a chase as there’s rarely anything to chase so want to make the most of this.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Not a bust for me yet, but it would be nice to see a storm again from not seeing one in two months.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

I, for one, am keeping a close eye on proceedings tonight! Could have a good old channel light show later!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, NLC
14 minutes ago, Mixer 85 said:

Thanks Raindrops, it’s been an exciting afternoon/evening. Certainly beats paperwork hah.

Making my way back home now with the hope of meeting the Meath cell en route. Any recommendations from any of the good folk on here as to where would be a good place to go next? What’s the chances of something supercellular appearing on the radars? Rarely get out for a chase as there’s rarely anything to chase so want to make the most of this.

Not much activity happen anymore, the only decent cell is in Co.Cavan heading towards Monaghan...at a slow dying pace ha.

Edited by Raindrops
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, Dale Hay said:

Not surprised. Must have been part of that cluster that pushed through here just after 5. Not seen rain so intense in a long time. You couldn't see a few metres in front of you the rain was that intense. Roads flooded in about 10 minutes flat and the wind was crazy for 5 mins or so.

No thunder heard, however.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder and lightning

Any chance of lightning tonight in the West Midlands 

Posted

The humidity increased massively here in Surrey, in the past hour. You can feel it in the air. It could be an indication of things to come. 

Still just drizzling though. 

• Like 1

Posted

Look at all this rain that Ireland is having   A few isolated lightning strikes in them too

Rain Radar 1.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Looks like synoptic upgrades to tonight’s potential in the SE

Don't know the significance of these changes exactly but I think it means supercells over Wisley Airfield  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Seen this shared on Facebook/Twitter.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Nobody has mentioned the sferics in the channel SW.

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Seen this shared on Facebook/Twitter.

That's how the clouds looked here, got a clear view as the cluster moved off to the east. Looked like a lot of low scud associated with it.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

No body has mentioned the sferics in the channel SW.

The cells seems to be picking up in that area following the band of rain 

image.png

Posted

Well, I'm going to head off to bed now.

I'm planning on setting some alarms. Perhaps one at 2am and another at 4am.

I'm won't be sure when the UK next will see some widespread thunderstorm activity, but I'm off to Florida tomorrow for 18 days so there's a high risk of seeing a storm every day!

I'm also planning on posting the storms I get in Florida either here or on the North American thread.

Hope some people who haven't seen a storm in ages get one tonight.

Night all.

Edited by zmstorm
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Think it is just rain for me tonight - too far North West by the looks of it. (Red dot is my location)

Looks as though South of me may get some action 

3115B572-43CE-49D1-B752-468692CA6D5A.thumb.png.a269ae1dd530f36703dedd69ae3087fb.png12E9DE93-D0BA-4E0D-AE0F-911293E9552D.thumb.png.09e17529fd201ffa3e46b670b3c94710.png

Moody sky though at least!

AA536EBF-96E7-4829-BBB9-2A6FDAE98053.thumb.jpeg.3f086ca44c04a5cf3ca5910d77a35bd7.jpeg

6 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

That's how the clouds looked here, got a clear view as the cluster moved off to the east. Looked like a lot of low scud associated with it.

Jealous of you mate - would love to see that! 

Pretty sure years ago I read/seen an article stating Manchester was the main UK hotspot for tornado/funnel cloud activity.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, zmstorm said:

Well, I'm going to head off to bed now.

I'm planning on setting some alarms. Perhaps one at 2am and another at 4am.

I'm won't be sure when the UK next will see some widespread thunderstorm activity, but I'm off to Florida tomorrow for 18 days so there's a high risk of seeing a storm every day!

I'm also planning on posting the storms I get in Florida either here or on the North American thread.

Hope some people who haven't seen a storm in ages get one tonight.

Night all.

Ah the memories - went on holiday to Miami, Florida in August 2006.

Tropical Storm Ernesto arrived a few days later and our hotel went on lockdown! 

The thunderstorms that arrived with it were just insane - the most spectacular lightning I had ever set eyes on and also witnessed a couple of waterspouts. 

Have a great time - looking forward to seeing pictures/videos! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair Weather, Snow, Thunderstorms

Another SE event - thank u, next.

• Like 1