IGNORED

Storms and Convective Discussion - 25th June 2019 onwards

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
2 hours ago, ChezWeather said:

Heard 9 or 10 rumbles now but no visible lightning, rain just starting

Just a few minutes heavy rain here otherwise the storm split one section steering east north east and the other south eastward. Happens every time nowadays or the storm dies passes over us then kicks off again hammering places to the north of us.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Goes to show that here in the UK - even with a broken climate (“oooops“ say the parents) we see a forecast with three days of storms just a couple of days ago for Scotland, but it’s quickly downgraded to just one day for particular areas.

This happened the other week for the south - that was at one point FOUR days of storms, consecutively. Just doesn’t happen - in future when you see a forecast that good just take a seat and give it a couple of hours for the downgrade - it’s really not worth getting too excited about (unless there’s a plume involved, obvs)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Ha!,missed all the action today whilst i was at work but did see the rain come down heavy

Thanks @howham for the double funnel cloud pic,what a capture,you don't see that everyday.

• Like 1

Posted

Sods law that the cell earlier on today at 5pm would split two ways with one to the north over Stockport/Manchester and the other towards Buxton with nothing but a rainbow being seen here. Given the attempted bow-echo and splitting of the cells I do wonder if perhaps it was a supercell especially as there was evident in/out-flow seen from here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
4 hours ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Sods law that the cell earlier on today at 5pm would split two ways with one to the north over Stockport/Manchester and the other towards Buxton with nothing but a rainbow being seen here. Given the attempted bow-echo and splitting of the cells I do wonder if perhaps it was a supercell especially as there was evident in/out-flow seen from here.

I presume that's the one that denied me a storm. No sign of supercell structure here had a good view of the northern section and it looked the run of the mill storm and structure

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 1 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Fri 12 Jul 2019 - 05:59 UTC Sat 13 Jul 2019

ISSUED 07:50 UTC Fri 12 Jul 2019

ISSUED BY: Dan

UPDATE 07:50 UTC A marginal / low-end SLGT has been introduced over SE Scotland / N England

An upper low will slowly retreat from the southern North Sea to Germany on Friday, with a trough axis sliding southwards across eastern Britain. Cool air aloft atop residual low-level moisture (dewpoints 13-15C) will steepen lapse rates and yield 300-500 J/kg CAPE in response to diurnal heating. Low-level convergence will likely aid the development of a few well-scattered showers and one or two thunderstorms by Friday afternoon / early evening, before decaying later in the evening as nocturnal cooling of the boundary layer commences.

Main focus will be over East Anglia late morning / early afternoon where a short window will exist for convection to grow deep enough, coupled with some reasonable shear, to produce lightning - before increasing subsidence aloft limits convective depth with time through the afternoon. As such, a marginal / low-end SLGT has been introduced. The attention will then shift to C / S Scotland and northern England during the afternoon and early evening.

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2019-07-12

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Not expecting anything here in the West of Scotland today but looks as though the Southeast might see some action.

On a side note a quite incredible but also sad severe weather outbreak recently over quite a swathe of Europe.

Never nice when you read about fatalities but being a lover of storms I would love to have seen/been under some of these severe storms. (Pictures/videos of the hail, lightning, tornadoes and storm structure on numerous supercells have been quite mind blowing. (Tornado Alley-esque)

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
19 hours ago, ChezWeather said:

Looks like a nice storm crossing the Peak District, should pass just North of here if it can survive 

The main route through Baslow was flooded the water was halfway up my car wheels I just put my foot down to get through it all.

I saw several forked lightning bolts from Dronfield over towards Baslow area as I was travelling out via Owler Bar.

Edited by Derbyshire_snow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Barrowby, (nr. Grantham) Sth Lincs (200ft ASL- ish)
  • Weather Preferences: The worse the better!

Hi all. Just took this looking roughly NNE from Barrowby, nr Grantham. 

Approx 5-7 miles away best guess. 

Looks rather Funnel looking...

Edit: I realise it's rather hard to see. 

I find if you believe hard enough, you can do anything. 

Apart from fight fire with fire. According to the judge.... 

20190712_200909.jpg

Edited by Gazarhya
  • Like 1

Posted

Radar grab of the same time

Screenshot_20190712-202809_Netweather Radar Extra.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
25 minutes ago, Gazarhya said:

Hi all. Just took this looking roughly NNE from Barrowby, nr Grantham. 

Approx 5-7 miles away best guess. 

Looks rather Funnel looking...

Edit: I realise it's rather hard to see. 

I find if you believe hard enough, you can do anything. 

Apart from fight fire with fire. According to the judge.... 

20190712_200909.jpg

Did it develop any further?

Posted

It drifted out of view, it is still very dark, but unfortunately it has gone behind the hill and I've had too much 'tipple' to make it up said mound....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

How has that cell north of Peterborough not produced any lightning yet? Looking at how heavy the precipitation was it definitely could of produced lightning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Sat 13 Jul 2019 - 05:59 UTC Sun 14 Jul 2019

ISSUED 20:37 UTC Fri 12 Jul 2019

ISSUED BY: Dan

An upper ridge will sharpen to the west of the British Isles on Saturday, placing many areas under a relatively cool northwesterly flow aloft. Diurnal heating of a relatively moist low-level airmass (surface dewpoints 12-15C) will yield a couple hundred J/kg CAPE, which combined with orographic forcing and low-level wind convergence is likely to lead to the development of scattered showers, some heavy. An upper low over Shetland on Saturday morning will slide down the North Sea, its base grazing eastern Britain as it does so - this will likely provide sufficient forcing to maintain showers well into the evening and perhaps first part of the night as they continue to migrate S / SE towards SE England. In any case, the chance of lightning is considered very low given limited cloud depth.

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2019-07-13

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

I have footage of a funnel cloud that formed to my SW near Sheffield,i will post the pics and video clips in a bit

meanwhile there are showers popping up around me,i am interested in the ones forming to my east,looks like a convergence zone. 

yep

c.thumb.png.c1e3893f8e7c52638fb552c94178f5a7.png

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Quite an eventless summer then so far

Hopefully end of July, August and September prove to be good for bigger widespread storms. Just need to let some heat in. I know early September I think has had some good storms in the past