Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective Discussion - 25th June 2019 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Almost as warm as yesterday here today, 22.1°C despite the wind off the sea. Struggling to see much hope of anything convective in the next week with the constant Westerleigh component. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
17 hours ago, ChezWeather said:

Well I suppose we can now add Scotland to the growing list of places better than the N Midlands for storms

Anyone on here see any action today?

I caught some lovely cloudscapes as the front passed over 

not a sausage

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair Weather, Snow, Thunderstorms

Monday 8th looks to be the next opportunity. I’m off to France to watch the Tour and hopefully catch some storms too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
44 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

BANK!

270739AA-13BC-41EB-BD2C-EFBAA0FCF2E5.png

It will be a Kent clipper in the end mate, trust me

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, electric storms

So yesterday.... What the heck happened!?!? 

Really humid and close all day and the clouds just kept bubbling up from about 4pm onwards was certain it was going to go bang but never did. 

Had a look this morning on blitzortung and it seems out of nowhere the North Sea got a massive jolt of electricity and that was where the powder keg went bang. 

Oh well..... Maybe next time. 

Posted
33 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

How this for a hailstorm?

?

Look at the beginning of the live stream, constant lightning 

Just a note that the people who are viewing this post about 2 hours after won't be able to see the lightning because the stream only rewinds twelve hours.

• Like 2

Posted

Well here's to another week of building suspense to next weekends storm chances *cheers* 

will it be a kent clipper 
or a Cornish cropper ? 
A brighton buster 
or an Irish invasion ..
May'be another Scottish slaughtering

• Like 2

Posted

A timelapse of the thunderstorm hitting Guadalajara with some nice music mixed in.

I made this so that people who missed it can see it.

Made it unlisted just if any of the music was copyrighted.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

To my surprise just had a heavy shower out of nowhere. The sea isn’t a complete convection killer after all then. The ocean effect waking up perhaps. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.
2 hours ago, zmstorm said:

A timelapse of the thunderstorm hitting Guadalajara with some nice music mixed in.

Wow!! Had to Google to get more info/images: this report is astonishing too. https://themazatlanpost.com/2019/06/30/video-after-intense-hail-guadalajara-wakes-up-to-blocks-of-ice/

Posted
3 hours ago, zmstorm said:

1:57 I see some tranformer blow out the whole area 

• Like 3

Posted
7 hours ago, ancientsolar said:

1:57 I see some tranformer blow out the whole area 

Sharp eye you've got there!

Posted
On 30/06/2019 at 17:12, zmstorm said:

It will be a Kent clipper in the end mate, trust me

it wont even be that , I think those lightning symbols actually mean cool patchy drizzle,  far more likely  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus
On 30/06/2019 at 21:04, zmstorm said:

Great timelapse and a nice additon........tell me more....  is that unlisted on Youtube..  and you still get to post them?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

@Arnie Pie From my understanding, if you set a video to unlisted it can still be watched by someone if you share the link as has been done here. However, it won't appear in any searches, so only these who have the link can watch it.

Speaking of YouTube. I have now edited and uploaded my footage of the storm on the 18th-19th June, whereby I drove all the way down to Essex and what turned out to be a hell of storm skirted just to my south-east and missed me. I do wish I had been further east but I left it just a little too late setting off from home. Had I gone down to Kent or the south coast it would have been out in the North Sea by the time I got there. Still, I managed to get some lightning from it and then a bit of distant lightning from a storm that approached Hastings in the morning, only to die out about a mile from hitting. It was a bit disappointing, only made worse when a man I met on Hastings beach as I was filming asked if I saw the amazing lightning yesterday evening.... sigh, it was a long night!

This is not the storm I saw on the night of the failed plume, where I headed back down to Hastings for a second attempt on the night of the 24th-25th June. That footage is still on its way.

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

cheers @Supacell I`ll try that next time-lapse...i do like to personalize my time-lapses with a bit of good music (copyright minefield)

just finished the vid mate....the same quality and serenity as ever....Keep `em coming

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
3 hours ago, Supacell said:

@Arnie Pie From my understanding, if you set a video to unlisted it can still be watched by someone if you share the link as has been done here. However, it won't appear in any searches, so only these who have the link can watch it.

Speaking of YouTube. I have now edited and uploaded my footage of the storm on the 18th-19th June, whereby I drove all the way down to Essex and what turned out to be a hell of storm skirted just to my south-east and missed me. I do wish I had been further east but I left it just a little too late setting off from home. Had I gone down to Kent or the south coast it would have been out in the North Sea by the time I got there. Still, I managed to get some lightning from it and then a bit of distant lightning from a storm that approached Hastings in the morning, only to die out about a mile from hitting. It was a bit disappointing, only made worse when a man I met on Hastings beach as I was filming asked if I saw the amazing lightning yesterday evening.... sigh, it was a long night!

This is not the storm I saw on the night of the failed plume, where I headed back down to Hastings for a second attempt on the night of the 24th-25th June. That footage is still on its way.

Seen only bits and pieces of this so far - but my was this a storm and a half. Shame it was overshadowed by the unfortunate shifting of the following plume - but I think that storm alone was anough the keep me happy till .... well .... next week or the the week after

Seriously though, we get dumped on by the weather gods regularly (and they don’t even bother using the brush anymore... because we’re not even worth that) but when it does work in our favour we get some pretty spectacular events, and can you name me another country in the world that gets this excited about a bit of thunder...?

... yes, exactly:

Scotland.

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Seen only bits and pieces of this so far - but my was this a storm and a half. Shame it was overshadowed by the unfortunate shifting of the following plume - but I think that storm alone was anough the keep me happy till .... well .... next week or the the week after

Seriously though, we get dumped on by the weather gods regularly (and they don’t even bother using the brush anymore... because we’re not even worth that) but when it does work in our favour we get some pretty spectacular events, and can you name me another country in the world that gets this excited about a bit of thunder...?

... yes, exactly:

Scotland.

Bloody Scotland has had better storms there than here in England 

Posted

We quite often see posts claiming 'we haven't had a storm here in 5 years', 'the south east always gets the storms' etc - so I thought it would be interesting to see just how many days of thunder we've had across the British Isles so far this year (up to the end of June, but in reality there hasn't been any lightning in July so far anyway).

This map contains 6 months worth of lightning data, with slight smoothing applied to make it a little easier to read. The white areas signify where no lightning has been detected so far this year.

The most thundery places appear to be the Crystal Palace area and Templeglentan (Co Limerick) - both areas have recorded 6 days of thunder so far (a 'day' is considered the period 06z - 06z)

DaysOfThunder.png

Edited by staplehurst
  • Like 9

Posted

I’ve had 6 thunder days here as well. 24/04, 25/04, 10/05, 28/05, 06/06, 10/06.  All polar maritime/ocean effect, I’ve given up on plumes. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
14 hours ago, staplehurst said:

We quite often see posts claiming 'we haven't had a storm here in 5 years', 'the south east always gets the storms' etc - so I thought it would be interesting to see just how many days of thunder we've had across the British Isles so far this year (up to the end of June, but in reality there hasn't been any lightning in July so far anyway).

This map contains 6 months worth of lightning data, with slight smoothing applied to make it a little easier to read. The white areas signify where no lightning has been detected so far this year.

The most thundery places appear to be the Crystal Palace area and Templeglentan (Co Limerick) - both areas have recorded 6 days of thunder so far (a 'day' is considered the period 06z - 06z)

DaysOfThunder.png

I consider myself lucky to be in the area that has seen 4 in North Somerset. Still pretty poor though.