Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective Discussion - 25th June 2019 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder
1 hour ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Essentially the mathematics and science is there to tell us that we won’t get any storms.

Basically this heatwave is pointless ?‍♂️ 

If I didn't get that storm on Tuesday in Shropshire I would be throwing my laptop out of the window by now lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
On 26 June 2019 at 14:03, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Nearly 4 years ago now. How I wish to see a corker like this again soon, the Bournemouth storm of July 2015

Still probably ranks as storm of the decade for me. 

Thanks for sharing that, I happened to be staying in Bournemouth that night, never witnessed a storm like that before, and probably unlikely to again.  It was unbelievable.

Posted

Fair amount out there in the SW approaches,  shame

Again shows how close we were to achieving great plume of heat and storms.  

Screenshot_3.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
14 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Thanks for sharing that, I happened to be staying in Bournemouth that night, never witnessed a storm like that before, and probably unlikely to again.  It was unbelievable.

It was awesome. It lasted all the way up through the midlands and Lincs, out to the North Sea. A very long lasting, sustained beast indeed. 

Now look. All of them fish storms out in the Atlantic. You couldn’t make up our horrific luck so far this year! 

• Like 2

Posted

Couple of interesting tephigrams from today, showing a plot of temperature (x axis) with height (y axis).

Camborne in Cornwall had 2,000 J/kg CAPE at midnight, reducing to nearer 1,100 J/kg CAPE at midday. All elevated above the elevated mixed layer. 

Incidentally, some very warm / hot air just 1,000 ft above the ground, creating a strong low-level inversion (and hence strong cap). You would need a surface temperature of 43C to break the cap / warm noses though.

CAMBORNE-2.thumb.JPG.12ff0686ca8ec8b6084ab850f443fa4d.JPG CAMBORNE-5.thumb.JPG.343573f28469ab377ccd1bd067608b70.JPG

and this is what 2,000 J/kg CAPE looks like in an environment with no trigger...

2114630648_ScreenShot2019-06-27at14_32_17.thumb.png.26a388e4ddc69c6eb821afb28159f39a.png

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
5 minutes ago, staplehurst said:

Couple of interesting tephigrams from today, showing a plot of temperature (x axis) with height (y axis).

Camborne in Cornwall had 2,000 J/kg CAPE at midnight, reducing to nearer 1,100 J/kg CAPE at midday. All elevated above the elevated mixed layer. 

Incidentally, some very warm / hot air just 1,000 ft above the ground, creating a strong low-level inversion (and hence strong cap). You would need a surface temperature of 43C to break the cap / warm noses though.

CAMBORNE-2.thumb.JPG.12ff0686ca8ec8b6084ab850f443fa4d.JPG CAMBORNE-5.thumb.JPG.343573f28469ab377ccd1bd067608b70.JPG

and this is what 2,000 J/kg CAPE looks like in an environment with no trigger...

2114630648_ScreenShot2019-06-27at14_32_17.thumb.png.26a388e4ddc69c6eb821afb28159f39a.png

Thanks Dan. Interesting information!

StormchaseUK should've given you credit in an earlier post.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

It's really kicked off again, out west this evening.. all those yummy lightning strikes being wasted over the Atlantic ocean.

Someone put a big fan out there, and blow them east a bit

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, stevofunnelcl said:

It's really kicked off again, out west this evening.. all those yummy lightning strikes being wasted over the Atlantic ocean.

Someone put a big fan out there, and blow them east a bit

Yes, it's like looking at an eruption with the flow firing off the coast of Spain.

https://en.sat24.com/HD/en/eu/visual

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Thanks Dan. Interesting information!

StormchaseUK should've given you credit in an earlier post.

I know not strictly related to convection per se, but related to those tephigrams and the pronounced low-level temperature inversion (essentially a lot of hot air from the Continent riding over the top of a cool undercut) Because the inversion is so low, there is a 'tight squeeze' of the easterly winds flowing over the moors of SW England - this creates a much more turbulent flow on the lee side (so in this case the west side of the moors), where we've seen gusts of 50-60 mph today. These can be quite localised, and hence have a tendency to blow lorries over suddenly etc

quick.png

• Like 4

Posted

Crumbs is that the cold front that is meant to move through Saturday out to west of Ireland?

It is spawning MCS's at the moment. 

Screenshot_2.jpg

Posted
2 minutes ago, StormChaseUK said:

Crumbs is that the cold front that is meant to move through Saturday out to west of Ireland?

Screenshot_2.jpg

Wait for Saturday evening when the majority will experience dangerous low cloud and, if lucky, torrential drizzle as that front crosses the country!

• Like 4

Posted

I've never seen MCS that far out in Atlantic 

Edited by StormChaseUK
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)
1 minute ago, StormChaseUK said:

I've never seen MCS that far out in Atlantic 

What is with the weather goes east and west but not down the middle? I think mother nature is rubbish at bowling. I wonder what it means for the upcoming weekend in regards to storms though? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
5 minutes ago, Mesoscale said:

What is with the weather goes east and west but not down the middle? I think mother nature is rubbish at bowling. I wonder what it means for the upcoming weekend in regards to storms though? 

Watch that big Fish MCS end up in Iceland by the morning. 

They love the Atlantic, and the North Sea, but despise that English Channel! 

Posted
4 hours ago, IanR said:

Its getting common to get a heatwave without any storms at the end now,  cant see anything happening on saturday,  bbc graphics did show some showery activity in the middle of the irish sea , pushing into southern scotland  . I suspect this will be the case , its happened a few times over recent years where the activity is over the northern irish sea     

Hope you're right about that in NI

Posted

I was living in Bournemouth in 2015 right when that storm hit I think it was in early July. The channel was already popping off and gradually moving towards the coast but luckily for us, it was a direct hit on Bournemouth with something people at the time called a Supercell. The sky was yellow and incredibly heavy right before it, knew we were in for something big. Usually only seen anything like that in Europe or North America. The number of lightning strikes recorded over that initial 30 minutes after it made landfall was incredible. Constant lightning, shotgun thunder, didn't let up for a moment. I was consoling my pets and girlfriend at the time so didn't get to enjoy the best of views but it was crazy to have that go straight over the top of you. 

• Like 3

Posted

I remember that 36-degree heat in 2017 because I was heading to Glastonbury that Wednesday and it was crazy hot. That heatwave seemed to expire and drop by 10 plus degrees without any kind of storm to break it up at all. 

Posted
1 hour ago, StormChaseUK said:

Screenshot_2.jpg

Wow to be on a cruise ship going through that would be awesome.  I had the pleasure of being on one in the med 2 years ago when we sailed into the mother of all thunderstorms, and it was one of the best things ive seen weather wise ever!!  Unlimited views and amazing lightening, the ship was hit more than once!!! The captain had to come on and reassure the passengers that the ship can handle the conditions, which were not forecast he kept stressing lol

Posted
6 minutes ago, Nath said:

Wow to be on a cruise ship going through that would be awesome.  I had the pleasure of being on one in the med 2 years ago when we sailed into the mother of all thunderstorms, and it was one of the best things ive seen weather wise ever!!  Unlimited views and amazing lightening, the ship was hit more than once!!! The captain had to come on and reassure the passengers that the ship can handle the conditions, which were not forecast he kept stressing lol

I was on a cruise ship in the Bahamas in 2012 that encountered a similar storm of epic proportions, the ship wasn't struck but the lightning was non stop. 

Edited by Mesoscale
  • Like 1

Posted

Also a lot of the storms that are active right now seem to be going in a southerly direction, from North America to Romania.... its quite strange.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Mesoscale said:

I was on a cruise ship in the Bahamas in 2012 that encountered a similar storm of epic proportions, the ship wasn't struck but the lightning was non stop. 

Yeah its storm viewing like no other!!   Ive been on 8 cruises, from Norway Fjords, Baltics, Ireland, Channel Islands, France/Spain, to the Med, and seen at least one proper good storm on 7 of them.   Either im super lucky or we have found the new storm chasing nirvana!!!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, StormChaseUK said:

Screenshot_2.jpg

When it moves over storm killer NW England it will fizzle to nothing , trust me on that 

Although it looks like there could be thunderstorms 'wasted' over the irish sea then pushing north into scotland ,

Isle of  Man could see a storm, possibly north cumbria  ,,,but the populated areas of NW England...nope,  unless it all develops a little further south , but knowing our luck it will be even further north than forecast 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Nath said:

Yeah its storm viewing like no other!!   Ive been on 8 cruises, from Norway Fjords, Baltics, Ireland, Channel Islands, France/Spain, to the Med, and seen at least one proper good storm on 7 of them.   Either im super lucky or we have found the new storm chasing nirvana!!!

I have only been on 3 cruises, two to the Caribbean and one to the med. I saw great thunderstorms on two of them but got caught in the wake of hurricane Irene on the third, I spent about 48 hours in my cabins bathroom because it was so rough. Both the Caribbean cruises I went on were with Carnival but I am not sure who I went with on the med cruise because the ship was a converted ferry named the Island Escape in the early 2000's. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!
1 hour ago, Robert Lewis said:

I was living in Bournemouth in 2015 right when that storm hit I think it was in early July. The channel was already popping off and gradually moving towards the coast but luckily for us, it was a direct hit on Bournemouth with something people at the time called a Supercell. The sky was yellow and incredibly heavy right before it, knew we were in for something big. Usually only seen anything like that in Europe or North America. The number of lightning strikes recorded over that initial 30 minutes after it made landfall was incredible. Constant lightning, shotgun thunder, didn't let up for a moment. I was consoling my pets and girlfriend at the time so didn't get to enjoy the best of views but it was crazy to have that go straight over the top of you. 

The one you are thinking about, hit on the 3rd of July, it also coincided with my daughters 1st birthday, and almost to the minute she was born! I remember distinctly thinking, I'm glad she wasn't born 1 year later! 

What is a man supposed to do, stay for the birth? or miss possibly the best storm I may ever get the chance to see

Luckily I didn't have to make that choice.

Here is the video I recorded, but be warned, it's shaky, as I didn't have anything to mount my phone on, and I didn't know where to point it! Also, at times I sound a little too excited

Edited by Christchurch storm nut
  • Like 1