Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - first hot, thundery plume of the summer

Paul
Message added by Paul

This thread = Models, models and more models
Please remember that this thread is for discussing the model output only. If you want to chat about the summer weather more generally, please use the Summer chat and moans thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
2 minutes ago, J10 said:

Seems very reasonable and a welcome development in that case.

Here are the latest temperatures from ARPEGE... maybe a bit on the warm side 

image.thumb.png.f5328e03cf2990020ece0d226080b22e.pngimage.thumb.png.c2b04897b3754255efb3488a8cdecede.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Here are the latest temperatures from ARPEGE... maybe a bit on the warm side 

image.thumb.png.f5328e03cf2990020ece0d226080b22e.pngimage.thumb.png.c2b04897b3754255efb3488a8cdecede.png

Some folks would call those temps 'pleasant', QS...Me, I've got to make do with a measly 29!:oldgrin:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
4 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Some folks would call those temps 'pleasant', QS...Me, I've got to make do with a measly 29!:oldgrin:

Must be those breezes off the North Sea 

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

22 degrees on that

It's actually warmer earlier in the day in the midlands. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

If Friday night's not a sweatbox, in London, Saturday night certainly will be!♨️

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
7 minutes ago, Paul said:

It's actually warmer earlier in the day in the midlands. 

Yeap. Shows the cloud associated with a decaying front moving in from the West and affecting Wales/Midlands & parts of the Northwest.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM ensemble mean T240:

image.thumb.jpg.674e8e136c8819571155fa49acb5bc61.jpg

Not that shabby if we end up there, and it is consistent with other model output, background signals and even the UKMO updates.  So that's all good!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
7 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM ensemble mean T240:

Not that shabby if we end up there, and it is consistent with other model output, background signals and even the UKMO updates.  So that's all good!

Break off surface high over the UK, with an area of low pressure possibly sitting west of Iberia with the heat never too far away either. If the ECM end are sensing another potential warm up we might begin to see the operational s toying with a deeper low in that region again.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 5

Posted

As mentioned in an earlier post the development of the upper low west of Portugal in the det output is interesting and taking it a stage further with mean EPS anomaly indicates why. Thus in conjunction with the TPV over northern Scandinavia facilitates further ridging of the European subtropical high into the UK before it later subsides again

9.5.thumb.png.c7787b53951ed492113769a067252585.png8-13.thumb.png.b4e729bbe6b7812e1ca723ea7ef238a0.png

• Like 7

Posted
15 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM ensemble mean T240:

@Captain Shortwave, as often happens, has taken the words right out of my mouth - the most logical conclusion from the ECM mean is that a repeat performance may be on the cards for next weekend - trough SW, high pressure close to the UK and starting to fade - though highly unlikely to have such hot upper air again. That said, France looks like turning into a furnace once more so any pure southerly flow will be hot.

I recall late summer 2016 got into this pattern after an average start - that was one the hottest August / Septembers of recent times. I wonder if this will become the pattern for the rest of summer 2019 (**this is not a forecast - DISCLAIMER!!! **) .

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, Mattwolves said:

Light hearted banter involving the ups and downs throughout the week. And surface temp s were being predicted to be at nearly 35c, and this coming from the Met Office.... I find that rather extreme for June mate. 

There have been no ups and downs through the week. Saturday is the exception where the NE wind finally drops but the rest of the week has struggled to exceed 20C even in the south despite the uppers being higher. The 'discussion' and 'confusion' about uppers not translating into surface temperatures has gone on for the last 10 days !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
5 minutes ago, chapmanslade said:

There have been no ups and downs through the week. Saturday is the exception where the NE wind finally drops but the rest of the week has struggled to exceed 20C even in the south despite the uppers being higher. The 'discussion' and 'confusion' about uppers not translating into surface temperatures has gone on for the last 10 days !

10 day's... Bit extreme.. I made a light hearted post regarding the emotions of the last week with regards to this plume, that's all. Perhaps it's time to move on, it's becoming a grind now. 

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
44 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

If Friday night's not a sweatbox, in London, Saturday night certainly will be!♨️

Id prefer a Wetbox!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

12z JMA take on things, here T54:

image.thumb.jpg.16fedbfe146763c4c5bda068183d241c.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.4e125ba61a98a4ab4d3c282001104b76.jpg

I think what I would say to those moaning about this or that, I've never seen a 850 temps surge into the UK like this, that is now going to happen, let's see what happens on Saturday folks, it might be interesting....

Moving on T192 shows the Azores ridge scenario that is practically priced in now as so many models show it.....welcome to summer, it's taken a while this year!

image.thumb.jpg.823254c59ec91289f88e745438488f72.jpg

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
49 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Break off surface high over the UK, with an area of low pressure possibly sitting west of Iberia with the heat never too far away either. If the ECM end are sensing another potential warm up we might begin to see the operational s toying with a deeper low in that region again.

Yes and small, subtle shifts in the orientation of the high could allow us to tap into some of the heat over the near continent. So while temperatures are forecast to recover into the mid 20s in the south by the middle of next week, it wouldn’t take much to see it creep up into the high 20s/low 30s. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 1