Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - first hot, thundery plume of the summer

Paul
Message added by Paul

This thread = Models, models and more models
Please remember that this thread is for discussing the model output only. If you want to chat about the summer weather more generally, please use the Summer chat and moans thread.

22 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

it is clearly going to pretty during the morning 

I do wish some of you would check what you write before you post

What does this part of your post mean please?

Apologies, always in a rush.....meant to say I thought the rain was more expansive than forecast/modelled.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Next Saturday surely does look like being hot, after a very warm night, too!

h850t850eu.png  h500slp.png

But, the 00Z seems to iron-out extremes, at the surface?

t2mLondon.png  t850London.png

prmslLondon.png  prcpLondon.png

So, still no sign of any return to a Greenland-high scenario; but @Catacol's musings should not be ignored...:oldgrin:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 4

Posted

The EPS medium term mean anomaly gas the initial westerly upper flow veering a rad as the subtropical high pushes north. Temp around normal

index.thumb.png.074475cc146b0e2ec9dd807b8166f7f8.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

ECM this morning continues the trend to build in the Azores high over the UK next week. Warm/hot and humid until Saturday, cooler and fresher on Sunday and then some warm and settled weather building back in next week. All subject to change ofcourse as next week is far into FI, however it’s a trend that’s been showing for several days now. No return to unsettled weather in the short to medium term according to the ECM

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, danm said:

ECM this morning continues the trend to build in the Azores high over the UK next week. Warm/hot and humid until Saturday, cooler and fresher on Sunday and then some warm and settled weather building back in next week. All subject to change ofcourse as next week is far into FI, however it’s a trend that’s been showing for several days now. No return to unsettled weather in the short to medium term according to the ECM

Yes although i can see a traditional NW/SE split on the menu , or at least warmer and more settled the further SE one heads as we move through early July.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
12 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Yes although i can see a traditional NW/SE split on the menu , or at least warmer and more settled the further SE one heads as we move through early July.

Yep agree, which would be the climatological norm, especially as we head through July and into August. ECM does show the Azores high building in nationwide later next week so may not just be the S/SE.  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
19 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Yes looks like a return to my dreaded and bog standard Summer pattern - decent in the South/Southeast with average temps but pretty rubbish in the Northwest of the UK. Hopefully that outlook will change.

However - plenty of hot and sunny weather before that for most of us.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Looking at the Ecm 0z ensemble mean..

High Pressure..check

Lovely Spanish Plume coming..check

Azores high building in later..check

EDM0-96.gif

EDM1-96.gif

EDM0-120.gif

EDM1-120.gif

EDM1-240.gif

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder

Looks like the low prediction from last weeks GFS is further east.  It's a warm spell but only a fraction of what was on the cards last week.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

There’s also a chance now that the 20c isotherm could ebb away through Saturday morning and prevent a shot at a really high maximum.....

• Like 1

Posted

Definite signs of an elongated AZ, come Day 10, on ECM:ecm500.240.png

Which ties in well with a very positive-looking NH profile:npsh500.240.png

Let's just hope things don't all go pear-shaped?:oldgood:

• Like 4

Posted
19 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

There’s also a chance now that the 20c isotherm could ebb away through Saturday morning and prevent a shot at a really high maximum.....

Looking through the ECM ensembles and adding 3C to raw output, there would be fairly strong support for a maximum between 32C and 34C on Saturday. Perhaps 10% of members could support 35C or more.

Interestingly many ensembles now pick Glasgow as the hot spot for Friday, with temperatures up to 30C there.

But I remain entirely unconvinced and expect it to go higher (maybe much higher) than this in places!!

• Like 6

Posted

Whilst whiling away a couple of hours this morning musing over the affairs of state I noticed that yesterday' Nimes midday sounding is almost the perfect example of when applying the ball park figure to the 850mb temp actually works.

As can be seen it is pretty dry air and the lapse rate is more or less along the dry adiabat, allowing for some surface heating, which cools/warms at 9.8C/Km. The 850mb height is 1530m and temp 15C with the surface at 30.5C so a warming of 15C  Voila,,, ading 15C,which is  often used as the ball park figure would have been spot on. Alas it is rarely ever that straightforward as we are well aware as a glance at the Ajaccio sounding illustrates

nimes.thumb.gif.4cfdb9bb04f4c36208b1d50bc8bfe6cb.gifaj.thumb.gif.f5081e30142c09c32459bb7ce4731cbc.gif

• Like 8

Even with the North Sea breeze, with 23C uppers and clear skies, I find it impossible to believe the temperatures that the gfs is predicting, it surely should be showing at least 32c. I have no idea why this hasn't happened on any model

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

That Azores push is a little stronger than I expected. We might do ok out of that in NW.

7BF9DEE6-42C8-499C-BE35-C8FFB7D5184E.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
12 minutes ago, Northwest NI said:

That Azores push is a little stronger than I expected. We might do ok out of that in NW.

7BF9DEE6-42C8-499C-BE35-C8FFB7D5184E.gif

Sorry mate - when I said pretty rubbish above I meant temperature/heat wise for the Northwest. (NI included)

In NI you would probably be looking at sunny spells and 17 degrees on that chart.

However South/Southeast England average July temp is roughly 23c for most of that area. (I think!) 

Obviously they would do well! (They always do in Summer!) 

01CC3D7C-7263-4C53-91D4-F7E44269A009.thumb.png.e9c8cd6bb1266c84607b86fdc52c330d.png376A4F69-E7AF-4C14-A337-84D71619A3A7.thumb.png.bb192af9696689508d16b9692be72313.png

Anyways - it will all look different again in a few hours. 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3

Posted

No posts on the heat from GFS 06Z ... I guess the extreme weather junkies among us are in a state of depression that the nirvana 850s charts we've been waiting for our weather watching lives are producing nowhere near record breaking actual charts.

But for what it is

GFS 06Z Friday - the outrageous upper air warmth, possibly not to be seen again for decades (?), continues to sedately count down on the charts

108-7UK.GIF?24-6

The GFS is gracious enough to give a couple of degrees surface warming on this

108-582UK.GIF?24-6

Saturday is hotter still though no records under threat

132-582UK.GIF?24-6

Quite a drop from the GFS 72 hours ago, which had temperatures in the 30s every day this week.

• Like 4

Posted

Good God! Friday night really does look steamy!:shok:

h850t850eu.png  h500slp.pngimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsgYoCCY2jvian0OiDyDQ

What's more, with 20C uppers in place throughout maximum insolation, somewhere just might see a very high max?:unknw:

image.thumb.png.abbcec644d1b77433b0602acc322f794.png h500slp.png

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
3 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

No posts on the heat from GFS 06Z ... I guess the extreme weather junkies among us are in a state of depression that the nirvana 850s charts we've been waiting for our weather watching lives are producing nowhere near record breaking actual charts.

Quite a drop from the GFS 72 hours ago, which had temperatures in the 30s every day this week.

Lack of posts probably due to the fact its nailed on now.

I think all the temperature charts are junk TBH, there is absolutely no way temperatures will be that low on Friday given such slack winds. Simply no way possible. FWIW I've done a thesis in UK synoptic climatology and all these forecast temperatures are just way off. North Sea coasts will see depressed maximums in any easterlies but the rest, especially in sheltered areas will be far warmer.

I'd go for Wednesday a favoured spot near the South coast getting over 30C, a bit higher on Thursday and then mid 30s on Friday. Something higher on Saturday is possible depending on how long the heat holds out for.

I've got the temperature predictions from last night for each day this week and will compare each one, so they can be used for future reference.

• Like 7

Posted
6 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Good God! Friday night really does look steamy!:shok:

h850t850eu.png  h500slp.pngimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsgYoCCY2jvian0OiDyDQ

though, again, upper air temperatures are not being modelled to correspond with surface temperatures at night. The only such disparity I can recall between upper air and night-time minima is December 2010 when there was 6 inches of snow on the ground and no wind!!

96-7UK.GIF?24-6  96-583UK.GIF?24-6

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Man With Beard said:

Indeed - that is the disappointing part of it all.

The GFS from Fridays 00 run for example...(Wednesday and Thursday below)

C1ECFAF7-8746-4782-9E2B-99ACC19F8036.thumb.png.b3414d05542c6f66066f918de05286d3.png24C7D323-3E74-4EDB-B828-CD210BE621EC.thumb.png.2ce78c86397ddc361686cb4397e2d3bb.png

Its now looking like mid/high 20’s c max on those two days. (South mainly although Metoffice is showing temps of 23c in London for both these days?)

Two day wonder (Friday and Saturday) for a chance at breaking temperature records is certainly not to be sniffed at though - plus a couple of warm/hot sunny days for quite a few before then.  

Fantastic Summer week ahead! 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

Posted

If there’s one thing everyone should learn from this is that you shouldn’t get hooked in by anything over 6 days away (T+144). 

We know this from snow hunting in the winter and it’s happened now with this plume.  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder
18 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Indeed - the bit in bold is the disappointing part of it all.

The GFS from Fridays 00 run for example...(Wednesday and Thursday below)

C1ECFAF7-8746-4782-9E2B-99ACC19F8036.thumb.png.b3414d05542c6f66066f918de05286d3.png24C7D323-3E74-4EDB-B828-CD210BE621EC.thumb.png.2ce78c86397ddc361686cb4397e2d3bb.png

Its now looking like mid/high 20’s c max on those two days. (South mainly although Metoffice is showing temps of 23c in London for both these days?)

Two day wonder (Friday and Saturday) for a chance at breaking temperature records is certainly not to be sniffed at though - plus a couple of warm/hot sunny days for quite a few before then.  

Fantastic Summer week ahead! 

Yes I'm still suprised people are getting excited about the uppers.  It is the uppers that are over cooking it and the surface temps that are correct.

Edited by StormChaseUK
  • Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, StormChaseUK said:

Yes I'm still suprised people are getting excited about the uppers.  It is the uppers that are over cooking it and the surface temps that are correct.

But you don't know that, do you? I'm thinking that the difficulties we are having with interpreting the forecast temperature profiles apply equally, irrespective of whether one works up or works down...?:oldgrin:

• Like 4