Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - first hot, thundery plume of the summer

Paul
Message added by Paul

This thread = Models, models and more models
Please remember that this thread is for discussing the model output only. If you want to chat about the summer weather more generally, please use the Summer chat and moans thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Ecm leads the way again... Firstly we have our own little plume... Then secondly we finishing with the Azores ridge primed to take hold... And it's been showing this for the last several days now... So it's most definitely not a flash in the pan..... GFS.... get your house in order.... Even though you have had millions thrown at you.... Your still the weakest link.....goodbye...

EDM0-96.gif

EDM0-120.gif

EDM0-144.gif

EDM1-192.gif

EDM1-240.gif

giphy-1.gif

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
7 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Plumetastic Ecm 12z ensemble mean tonight..ends with the azores high ridging NE across the uk. like the operational!

Boom?..why not..sounds a bit like plume!!!!!!?️

EDM0-96.gif

EDM1-96.gif

EDM0-120.gif

EDM1-120.gif

EDM0-144.gif

EDM1-144.gif

EDM1-240.gif

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Rainfall will bring in the headlines rather than temperature  this week..and forecasting will be a major issue as regards details, Scratching my head for tomorrow's radio forecast...

ecmt850.144-1.png

h850t850eu-16.png

• Like 2

Posted

Although they are a fair way from being identical the ext EPS mean anomalies had a pretty good stab at the progression over the last five days given the likely speed of the forthcoming pattern change. This leads to weak atlantic trough slowly becoming a more zonal flow across the Atlantic which takes on a familiar look as the evolution progresses. This has all the hallmarks of a typical westerly  upper flow that involves interaction between the Pm and Tm airmasses and thus day to day variation of the detail with temps around average

10-15.thumb.png.c71441c1418305b9fe0af494bc8bfc53.png5-10.thumb.png.3d0fbbe504185273cf8132210028b4d5.png9-14.thumb.png.bf82d691b21c90eb58304ccb8fd69982.png

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Rainfall will bring in the headlines rather than temperature  this week..and forecasting will be a major issue as regards details, Scratching my head for tomorrow's radio forecast...

ecmt850.144-1.png

h850t850eu-16.png

For sure there is some rainfall for early in the week... But beyond midweek it will be temperatures and sunshine that will be making most of the headlines! And the major headache is gonna be in predicting just how high we can get these temps..... Its all good.... No HLB for a while I'm afraid....

• Like 6

Posted

The operational went rather chilly towards the end of the run.. Fortunately the mean remained a tad higher... Pressure wise though we are looking pretty good.... I would say 1020 to 1025 average... I'm sure that mean will begin to rise if we can get the Azores high to flex its muscles. 

graphe_ens3 (1).png

graphe_ens3.png

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
2 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

The operational went rather chilly towards the end of the run.. Fortunately the mean remained a tad higher... Pressure wise though we are looking pretty good.... I would say 1020 to 1025 average... I'm sure that mean will begin to rise if we can get the Azores high to flex its muscles. 

graphe_ens3 (1).png

graphe_ens3.png

a bundle of wriggle room...for heat contination...when drenching through all data!!!!!

• Like 5

Posted
15 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

a bundle of wriggle room...for heat contination...when drenching through all data!!!!!

Most definitely tight.... The trend is our friend... Good to see you posting again.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

The GFS 12z with some stoncking upper air temps. But ground temps still looking very measly. Very frustrating.

However, I just can't buy into it.

GFS 12Z.png

• Like 6

Posted

Great uppers again, hopefully we will see some upgrades to the surface temperatures in the next 24 hours...

Where I am right now at this moment in time to say it is 'fresh' would be an understatement! It's actually quite nippy! 

Posted
6 minutes ago, matty007 said:

The GFS 12z with some stoncking upper air temps. But ground temps still looking very measly. Very frustrating.

However, I just can't buy into it.

GFS 12Z.png

With surface temperatures rocketing to the low to mid twenties.

icon-9-120_kte8.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ICON 18z at end of its short run to T120:  Enjoy:

image.thumb.jpg.934a1366fc4aa79a0dd60cab45748fc9.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.520349852e67c586282ffd3fad516ee6.jpg

This story is not over,  next week has massive potential.  Just need to get the angle right on the HP to drag the wind from the SE, this run does that perfectly.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
3 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

That’s odd - we got 24c here in Cambridge.

if we don’t see a couple of really hot days Friday and Saturday this will be the most disappointing weather event I can remember. Potential was there to smash records, and due to a slight bit of bad luck we might miss out. Uppers north of 20c very rarely visit these shores.

No, it certianly wasn't 24c here. It may have touched 21c for a short while but that's about it. Bear in mind that Cambridge is more congested and might have had slightly less cloud.

I couldn't agree more. Unless someone can tell me otherwise, I think this has the potential to be the most potent plume the UK has ever witnessed. Certainly on upper air temps alone. Many charts are still showing the 25c isothern making it to us, and nearly all, the 20c. I know for a fact the 25c isothern has never touched the UK, not even close. The 20c? Not sure, but doubt it. Now obviosuly upper air temps aren't everything and there are many factors, wind speed/direction, soil temps, sunshine amount etc etc.

But you have to say that if this plume does not threaten the June record then it has been spectacularly underwhelming and a massive underperformer. You should be hitting mid thirties at the very least.

I dare say that if this is the case, we may wait for a long long time before we see upper air like this again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
13 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

ICON 18z at end of its short run to T120:  Enjoy:

image.thumb.jpg.934a1366fc4aa79a0dd60cab45748fc9.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.520349852e67c586282ffd3fad516ee6.jpg

This story is not over,  next week has massive potential.  Just need to get the angle right on the HP to drag the wind from the SE, this run does that perfectly.

Definitely more of a SE flow there, which would make a huge difference to temperatures. A subtle shift such as this earlier in the week could result in records being broken. 

• Like 5

Posted

Fantastic  ICON rightly pointed out by Mike.... Just look how far North we have sent the uppers.... 2m temps of 24c...maybe if largely cloudy.... Plenty of blue sky's... Then chuck another 10 degrees on.. Week of interest coming up for sure.... And I tell you what folks it makes a bloody change of having to keep talking about HLB.... 10c and rain.... Yak... Something much more summer like is on the horizon now.... They say the trains not coming, till you can see the train... Well let's just say I can see the steam in the not to distant background.... Enjoy folks. 

icon-9-120.png

icon-1-120.png

• Like 8