Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How hot will it be? Temperature Competition

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
4 hours ago, Paul said:

Porthmadog took the top spot again yesterday at 27.1c. 

Looking like that'll be bettered today and tomorrow though. UKV has 35c showing for London..

That's getting pretty close to the all time record for June set in 1976 in Southampton, which was 35.7C.

Maybe there is a chance 36.0C at Heathrow could come off  but my guess may be a touch too high...

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Chivenor has now also hit 29C at 14.00 according to the Meto site. Where do you get the values for sites like Porthmadog? 

http://www.weathercast.co.uk/world-weather/weather-stations/obsid/99163.html

The map at the bottom (ignore any errors) has links to other stations.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Chivenor has now also hit 29C at 14.00 according to the Meto site. Where do you get the values for sites like Porthmadog? 

Indeed, as above, weathercast.co.uk

Chivenor figure actually rounded up from 28.5°C -http://www.weathercast.co.uk/world-weather/weather-stations/obsid/3707.html

Still it pips Porthmadog stuck on 28.4°C, while Caernarfon has been struck by sea breeze, now down to 24°C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
1 minute ago, h2005__uk__ said:

http://www.weathercast.co.uk/world-weather/weather-stations/obsid/99163.html

The map at the bottom (ignore any errors) has links to other stations.

Thanks!  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

When will conditions at the surface change to be more conducive to these high temps - it’s 23c in Surrey at the moment but quite windy and fresh -  ukv is showing temps 12c higher this time tomorrow so when will it change....?

Posted

I feel I should know the answer to this but according to Met Office for my area the overnight temps will fall to 10c  but will peak at 34c a differential of 24c ( I cannot remember such a differential before , even in 2003 overnight temps were 21c) .

Does that mean that if temps were to fall to only say 14c then a 38 is possible or is there a maximum temp that can be achieved with a certain airmass?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

This day in 1976 it reached 35.6 deg Mayflower park,Southampton !

Posted
58 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

When will conditions at the surface change to be more conducive to these high temps - it’s 23c in Surrey at the moment but quite windy and fresh -  ukv is showing temps 12c higher this time tomorrow so when will it change....?

I believe the change is under way now but it’s gradual. Probably won’t help temps rise much more but may cause them to fall a lot slower.

Posted
1 hour ago, hillbilly said:

This day in 1976 it reached 35.6 deg Mayflower park,Southampton !

And the day before, it was 35.5!

I remember it well, working in an office in Fareham at the time and the shaded back yard thermometer I stuck outside almost matched it. The air con kept freezing up, then a sea breeze came in just before 2pm to make it a more bearable 30 or so. Happy days but PHEW!

Can't see that record going tomorrow but you never can be sure. My prediction of 30.6 looks too low though.

Edited by DaveL

1 hour ago, Interitus said:

Good grief, with a change of wind direction from onshore to off, Lossiemouth has apparently seen a rise of 10 degrees in an hour to 27°C, with 7 degree increase in 20 minutes.

Another windshift and just as quickly the temperature is back down from 27.8°C to 21°C. All the while, Kinloss on the same stretch of coast 10 miles to the west hasn't been above 18°C!

Edited by Interitus
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Hot! Hot! Hot!

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I'd be surprised if we don't get a maximum of 30C somewhere today - lots of locations in the south/south-west knocking on the door in the past hour.

Think that honour has gone to Achnagart, exactly 30°C at 4pm, temperatures in the south west don't seem to be progressing.

Bummer, posted above at same time!

Edited by Interitus
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Noticeable difference even at 9am just stepping outside the house this morning. Yesterday was glorious and warm in the sunshine but still felt relatively fresh in the shade, even though temperatures eventually got up to 24c in London. 

Feels very warm in the shade even this early. It’s going to be a scorcher. 34c is my prediction. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Big difference this morning in west yorkshire. Feeling rather warm already and low cloud has gone!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Heathrow at 25c and Gatwick at 26c as of 20-30mins ago. 

Usually 30c would be reached now if you are shooting for 35c however I think it’s a slow burner type day and temps will rise 1-2c per hour for the next 5/6hrs. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
4 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Usually 30c would be reached now if you are shooting for 35c however I think it’s a slow burner type day and temps will rise 1-2c per hour for the next 5/6hrs. 

I don't think that really matters, it reached 30c in the Highlands yesterday from an overnight low in single figures. We've got 5 hours of heating to go, we will see 33-35c for sure.

2 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I don't think that really matters, it reached 30c in the Highlands yesterday from an overnight low in single figures. We've got 5 hours of heating to go, we will see 33-35c for sure.

Add 2c per hour for the next 5hrs and parts of the south east will be at 35c. Was just saying the temperature rise might be slower but more extended than usual for such a hot day.