Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion

Blessed Weather

Posted

Driving around Kent and into London this morning from 5am some observations:

There were already some large cumulonimbus clouds building in parts of north Kent - where the sun was behind those it was 21oC, where it was blue skies 24oC.

Some places I feel will be a fair few degrees behind the record, other places could be close. It depends if the bubbling clouds become more widespread.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

I don't know how to explain this but my indoor weather station says that there is raining heavily even though there is a clear sky.  I wonder where is it getting it's data from.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Feels like a warm summers afternoon out there and it’s only 8:45am!

Seems to be a bit of patchy cloud in NW France moving towards the SE. Hope it doesn’t spoil the fun this afternoon.

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 1

Posted

Upto 26c locally now, temperatures still shooting up at quite a rapid rate. As others have said cloud cover will need to be watched, especially as there are some small cells over France which will likely spread cloud cover to some local areas in the early afternoon. However they are still fairly discrete at this stage.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Upto 26c locally now, temperatures still shooting up at quite a rapid rate. As others have said cloud cover will need to be watched, especially as there are some small cells over France which will likely spread cloud cover to some local areas in the early afternoon. However they are still fairly discrete at this stage.

Would be Sod’s Law, wouldn’t it? How many times do we see storms dissipate and die over the Channel, yet today I bet they all make it over 27C already at Heathrow, temperatures are certainly shooting up!

Posted

Temp of 27.7c and humidity 45% in the shade. the skies are pretty clear despite some very high thin cirrus cloud which isn’t affecting the sun yet. 16 miles E of Cambs. 

Edited by Lewis1997

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
54 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Already 26c at shoreham airport at 8 am, if this keeps we should easily  pass 30c before midday here on the coast

Quite often it gets hot early then the sea breeze kicks in and hampers the temps. Was similar yesterday and Tuesday. 

Posted
16 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Record looking highly unlikely now with storm development over France. Shame really.

That’s a bold statement 

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Record looking highly unlikely now with storm development over France. Shame really.

METO app going for 38c even with thunderstorms at Heathrow. I guess it will depend on where and when the storms appear and for how long any associated cloud hangs around

Edited by FetchCB
spelling

Posted
Just now, CanadianCoops said:

That’s a bold statement 

Maybe a bit of reverse psychology. But if those storms and cloud overspill get here before 3-4pm, it’s all over.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Maybe a bit of reverse psychology. But if those storms and cloud overspill get here before 3-4pm, it’s all over.

I was going to say that but didn’t want to be presumptive. Agree IF they do but they’ll have to cover a large area for everyone to be affected. The storms could a difference of 38oC instead of 40oC. Fascinating next 12 hours 

29.5oC already in the usual hotspot of Medway, North Kent 

E7DD74F2-2990-4BD2-80EE-799B89E16F3E.jpeg

Edited by CanadianCoops

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
20 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

Quite often it gets hot early then the sea breeze kicks in and hampers the temps. Was similar yesterday and Tuesday. 

Yeah I’ve noticed this, a lot of times when it’s hot we’ll hit our max at like 11-12 and then it flatlines through the afternoon, I hope it doesn’t today but I bet it does

Posted
19 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Hmm its still really not all that impressive on radar, I'd suggest it may IF it survives pull back temps for a 30-45 min period. Worth noting that Heathrow dipped to 31C between 11-1pm on the 1st July 2015, yet still made it to 36.7c. That was with FAR more significant and problematic mid/high level cloud cover coming across for several hours. Doesn't look anything like that.

I will keep an eye out to my south as I've got a great view and can see the anvils most of the way across the channel in stronger storms.

• Like 1

Posted

29.9C in Hextable at 9:30, 2.5C ahead of yesterday from a much lower start.  Wind has been from the east for the last 4/5 hours.

Regarding the rate of temperature rise, the last 2 days have risen fast until 12:30 at which point it very slowly edges up until just after 4pm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

The clouds are quite patchy, nothing organised so I don’t think we can call bust yet. Suspect it will be hit and miss around London and Kent, some areas will still go high.

5D1D2BAC-EF80-483E-83B9-CCBC439401C1.thumb.jpeg.8cb98123eaa3dd4085d85f1b606aea98.jpeg

Edited by Stabilo19

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
6 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Yeah I’ve noticed this, a lot of times when it’s hot we’ll hit our max at like 11-12 and then it flatlines through the afternoon, I hope it doesn’t today but I bet it does

My local station in Worthing, temp has only gone up 0.3c in the last hour, at 25c now. 

Posted

Looking at the forecasts the storms do not seem to have as greater impact on the temperature than would normally be the case.

The following broadcast by Met Office probably explains why

starts at 24.30

In essence it stats that the air is so hot aloft and the air that needs to be heated is so shallow  that very little solar heating is required

• Like 1