Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion

Blessed Weather

Posted
32 minutes ago, shotski said:

We could only go up there in 20 minute spurts after about 11am. It peaked at 47.4 degrees

Worked in a few boiler rooms over the years, and yes you have to come out after a short stint, stay too long and you end up with an inane grin on your face, and end up in A and E lol.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

The good news is that once we get tomorrow’s grot out the way temperatures go on a downward spiral. 

2DDF2197-E1D5-4063-BFFD-9541E22ACC2F.gif

Edited by shotski
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
10 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

EAST: 34.3C at Writtle, Essex, makes it the hottest day of the year so far. It was also the warmest place in the UK today.

152530382_Temps24July2019.thumb.jpg.e134dcf796d4942b1d9237f21c867d85.jpg

Source: Twitter @danholley_

I was brought up in Writtle, a very interesting place. Marconi had a research establishment there and the first public broadcast was from there. When I worked for Essex County Council I used to make use of their weather records. One year whilst in money saving mode the energy conservation officer had the bright idea over a Christmas/ New Year holiday period to rely entirely on frost thermostats on the outside of county buildings with the heating only coming on if the external temperature only fell below a certain level. Sadly following several mild days over the holiday period a very vigorous cold front came down from the north and temperatures fell like a stone. By the time the heating kicked in it was too late and at least £200,000 worth of damage was the result with pipes bursting come the thaw. This caused ceilings to collapse, electrics to be damaged, carpeting to be ruined and gymnasium floors to warp. in addition school books and IT equipment was damaged. Trying to save money does not always work. 

I was actually in Writtle today visiting by 90 year old uncle and getting some shopping for him. it certainly felt very hot. The thought of an arctic plunge like I mentioned above sounds almost appealing.

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
12 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Quite a day to see pretty much the whole of East Anglia reach 30c or above. After the storms the humidity wasn’t that high so it actually felt pretty decent.

Don’t know what to think of tomorrow, it isn’t like we have much experience with that potential level of heat.

The only two places I have done, are Rhodes and Las Vegas. It was way too much. So god knows what it’ll feel like here! After 31-32c today my room is sauna hot! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
22 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

EAST: 34.3C at Writtle, Essex, makes it the hottest day of the year so far. It was also the warmest place in the UK today.

152530382_Temps24July2019.thumb.jpg.e134dcf796d4942b1d9237f21c867d85.jpg

Source: Twitter @danholley_

The scary thing here is that is wasn’t supposed to be as hot today than yesterday  ? Was it ? . Perhaps I missed something but I only saw maxes of 33 forecast .

Posted

boiling  one  time  5  ocock  to night   me car was  reading  37  !!

Posted

now out  side 26.6

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

I remember being in Shanghai during the record breaking 2017 heatwave with 6 days at 41 degrees. The difference is the dew point was 27 C so the heat index was 55 C.. in the shade!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
7 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

The only two places I have done, are Rhodes and Las Vegas. It was way too much. So god knows what it’ll feel like here! After 31-32c today my room is sauna hot! 

Vegas was the hottest place I've ever been. Temps were low 40s every day but feels like temps were more like mid to high 40s. Felt like I was living in an oven for a week. That was definitely too hot! 

Don't think we've ever had long enough sustained very high temperatures here for me to wish for cool weather. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Hottest temperature I’ve experienced was 48C in Kuwait. Not great in a uniform

• Like 6

Posted
5 hours ago, shotski said:

Mate if you don’t understand what the difference is between worldwide high temperature records toppling and a freak weather event your either ignorant or poorly educated on climate change. 

40 degrees, that’s great. What next I wonder. 

Also I love extremes cold & heat so obviously don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade as it is weather forum after all. Just very concerning, that was my initial point.

I am neither fella. You were raining on lightning lovers parade with your initial post after his and i took umbridge to it. We can in here be allowed to express our excitement at records being broken. I work in central london and have melted over the last 2 days but its still exciting for some. 

And please dont call me ignorant. I chose to mention a couple of things. Not saying this is a freak event but to see this level of heat is unprecedented like it or not. The record may not go but the charts have increased the heat over the last couple of runs. Coming in at 40 degrees. Never have i seen that.  In my 20 years of weather watching. 

As was said before look after your elderly and vulnerable peeps its gonna get hot. Peace Out (drops the mike as he walks out)

Edited by Jimmyh
  • Like 3

Posted
16 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

The scary thing here is that is wasn’t supposed to be as hot today than yesterday  ? Was it ? . Perhaps I missed something but I only saw maxes of 33 forecast .

Alot of the global models were a good 2-3c too low today (which to be fair, was also the case on Monday) and so wouldn't be shocked to see the GFs/ECM 35-36 actually end up as a 38-39.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
6 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Vegas was the hottest place I've ever been. Temps were low 40s every day but feels like temps were more like mid to high 40s. Felt like I was living in an oven for a week. That was definitely too hot! 

Don't think we've ever had long enough sustained very high temperatures here for me to wish for cool weather. 

Imagine the moans in here of a week @ 35c+ 

A 4 day heatwave of temps in the Low 30s and it’s a catastrophe to some folk. 

Heaven forbid the UK summer climate gets something note worthy for 5 days before returning to business as usual. 

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Ben Lewis said:

Imagine the moans in here of a week @ 35c+ 

A 4 day heatwave of temps in the Low 30s and it’s a catastrophe to some folk. 

Heaven forbid the UK summer climate gets something note worthy for 5 days before returning to business as usual. 

Ben hoping gor it to be warm slight hot nrxt week lol. Off to bognor 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

We’ve had some beautiful days here.  I’m really lucky because my kids have grown up in the heat of Dubai so it just doesn’t seem to bother them at all. My neighbours think my kids are crazy playing outside in the middle of the day for hours. It’s so nice to have these lovely days, someone posted  on my fb about Christmas coming with a snow scene, that’s always a nice thought.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
Just now, Mark wheeler said:

Indeed Mark. The Beeb 'Look East' forecast this morning sounded confident that today would be "not quite as hot as yesterday". Maybe the almost complete lack of breeze today played a part with lack of mixing? Anyway, onward to tomorrow and it's looking odds-on that a new record will be set somewhere in our Region if the Netweather Extra Short Range Model is on the money. Parts of Kent suggested to be as hot as central London. 

104302788_NetwxSRTemp25July.thumb.jpg.2c1b75a821a55dfd0868381c47db5804.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
9 minutes ago, Jimmyh said:

@Blessed Weather do u think they are under cooking those temps by a couple??

Well the various high resolution models seem to be in general agreement Jimmy, going for 38C or 39C as the max tomorrow. Here's the Arome and Arpege models forecasts:

1349196650_AromeTemp25July.thumb.png.c12cd17f1e0341ad6fbe07ce96810742.png1477355929_ArpegeTemp25July.thumb.png.a58ce2f7c5b912c03b7342bc55784e96.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Unfortunately, though the temperature is down 9C over earlier, the humidity is up from 48% to 72% now.

Posted
5 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Unfortunately, though the temperature is down 9C over earlier, the humidity is up from 48% to 72% now.

23.9 C 64% humidity  here doesn't feel to bad and sticky yet ..... I expect it will later

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 minute ago, Paul77 said:

23.9 C 64% humidity  here doesn't feel to bad and sticky yet ..... I expect it will later

23C and 74% here now, according to Weatherquest's station at UEA.  Might be slightly cooler here, but not much I'd expect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

mdt zone from Convect. weather!! Get in!

• Like 1

Posted

Haven’t really enjoyed the hot weather this week, particularly with how much it’s limited my outdoor activity and the effect it’s had on my sleeping. It’s also had an impact on my cat, who has struggled with the temps and will continue to do so tomorrow. 

However, I am on the flip side fascinated to see how tomorrow turns out and what 37c/38c feels like. Luckily I have good air con at work and they’re allowing us to wear relaxed clothes, but I have a lot of sympathy for those who do not have such luxuries. 

Once tomorrow’s ‘peak’ temperature is out the way I’ll be looking forward to both the risk of storms and the fresher weather in the days that follow. One day of high 30’s is enough for me. 

Edited by saint
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
2 minutes ago, saint said:

Haven’t really enjoyed the hot weather this week, particularly with how much it’s limited my outdoor activity and the effect it’s had on my sleeping. It’s also had an impact on my cat, who has struggled with the temps and will continue to do so tomorrow. 

However, I am on the flip side fascinated to see how tomorrow turns out and what 37c/38c feels like. Luckily I have good air con at work and they’re allowing us to wear relaxed clothes, but I have a lot of sympathy for those who do not have such luxuries. 

Once tomorrow’s ‘peak’ temperature is out the way I’ll be looking forward to both the risk of storms and the fresher weather in the days that follow. One day of high 30’s is enough for me. 

Sending  virtual pets to your cat! I hope it will do ok!

• Like 2