Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nightmare last night...power cut, no fans or anything - it was like trying to get to sleep in a sauna. Lightning was flashing all around and as there were no lights in the house the lightning showed u

Out on this morning's walk and as promised this time with camera at the ready. And I was lucky enough to hit the jackpot with this great display of virga from cloud in the distance. And you can see wh

This is not meant to cause offence but I’d appreciate it if you (and others) cease putting a dampener on genuine excitement at the current (and brief!) extreme weather. It’s a weather forum for weathe

Posted Images

It took a while getting here but the thunderstorm has finally made it across the Channel and landed in the Hastings area. Nowhere near as spectacular as last weeks storm but I' m not complaining.

• Like 1

Lightning and distant thunder here in South Ockendon 

Edit: That had to have been one huge strike a 100 miles away, or I dreamt it! Just rain here atm.

Edited by crazy_diamond
  • Like 1

03.28 and I’m wide awake, it’s so humid in the house even with the windows open, the storm has decided to come this way which explains the humidity.  I’ve been tracking the storms all night it’s been to hot to sleep so these are what’s on they’re way to us. It’s been lightning on and off for about an hour now. We’ve had extremely heavy rain. Humidity is up to 97% and it feels like it is as well. 

CD0124D0-EA30-494E-905E-8A6DB4966013.png

0F5A4818-FC92-42FC-9DAF-9C5FFD1DB93E.png

• Like 1

Biggest bust known to me so far.. Wow.. Not even decent thunderstorms... 

It is literally like someone has the ability to steer bad weather away from London.. Never seen anything like it.. Nearly cross model agreement and then this. 

Damn, Nevermind... Next. 

• Like 1

I am surprised at this. This is as bad as snow. If you look at the warnings.  It went well west but looking at the radar its another kent clipper..

Boo.

Counter that its all in the channel

Edited by Jimmyh
Wanted to add to it

4 bangs of thunder, woken by dog leaping onto bed, torrential rain creating a river running down the road outside. Another horribly humid day to come, hurry up easterly sea breeze.

• Like 1

I didn’t expect to see the storms last night I thought they’d go further west. Not as impressive as last weeks but two hours of heavy rain and on and off lightning and thunder. Can’t complain.

Also with the window open nice breeze and didn’t need to ditch the duvet. Bonus. 

Edited by CanadianCoops
  • Like 2

So, it ended up being an E.Sussex/Kent clipper again. I mentioned a rule I apply to French Imported Storms, some 6 hours ago.

I read that this large storm (Did it attain MCS status?), initiated close to Rennes. This is on a similar Longitude to the Cherbourg Peninsula. I became a Member of NW in Jan.2005. During that time, I've noticed that t/storms initiating east of this Peninsula, tend to only affect E.Sussex/Kent (the notorious Kent Clipper, variety!! Although last nights t/storm began close to thr same Longitude as Cherbourg, the steering winds seemed to be aligned SSW/NNE. I've noticed that "thundery plumes" seem to track up from the S.S.W. A direct Southerly flow, more likely to deliver for the London area.

I thought it would be "touch ang go", whether it would reach S.E.London and so it proved!  

I think it was a pretty poor show, by the Forecasting Agencies. I'm claiming a "goal" for Cherbourg Peninsula Test Utd!! 

It's very early day's yet though and not even Half Time (mid-July).

This "rule of thumb" only applies to French Imports, obviously though!!

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 9