Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nightmare last night...power cut, no fans or anything - it was like trying to get to sleep in a sauna. Lightning was flashing all around and as there were no lights in the house the lightning showed u

Out on this morning's walk and as promised this time with camera at the ready. And I was lucky enough to hit the jackpot with this great display of virga from cloud in the distance. And you can see wh

This is not meant to cause offence but I’d appreciate it if you (and others) cease putting a dampener on genuine excitement at the current (and brief!) extreme weather. It’s a weather forum for weathe

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Dami said:

According to radar, my cloud has grown and i'm in some rain. Went out to collect washing still hung up and it wasn't damp anywhere but that lovely rainy smell. One  of the best smells in the world.

Well my late father would certainly agree with you (who passed away just before Xmas)...he put this down in his eulogy 'that warm rain on a summer's lawn just brought out the fragrances of everything surrounding'...

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Well my late father would certainly agree with you (who passed away just before Xmas)...he put this down in his eulogy 'that warm rain on a summer's lawn just brought out the fragrances of everything surrounding'...

My late grandad passed away February aged 92. He used to say the same thing. Loved his garden. He always said during life it’s not the materialistic things you’ll remember at the end it’s family, friends, experiences and nature. Think he was on to something 

Edited by CanadianCoops
  • Like 3
35 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

I believe that is known as petrichor; Could be wrong though!

I heard on James O'Briens mystery hour on LBC, that the smell you think is rain is actually the smell of the pollution being washed off the roofs and roads when the rain comes in ? ?

1 minute ago, Hurricane Debby said:

I heard on James O'Briens mystery hour on LBC, that the smell you think is rain is actually the smell of the pollution being washed off the roofs and roads when the rain comes in ? ?

I always believed it was certain chemicals being released from the plants & soil upon moisture contact...

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

This has developed quickly in the past 30 mins and seems on course for the southeast .

F2749EA0-5F15-4A5F-B4CE-E24F690CE842.jpeg

And the lightning strikes .

048B38B0-CD8F-41B0-BE50-BEFD1EDFF1CC.png

Very nice. Here's hoping they avoid the sharp right swerve this time. The models seem to suggest we should do well tonight, but you know, it's the weather, fools out of all of us etc. Light rain here in Surbiton, felt nice and cooling for the dog walk.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Dami said:

According to radar, my cloud has grown and i'm in some rain. Went out to collect washing still hung up and it wasn't damp anywhere but that lovely rainy smell. One  of the best smells in the world.

That and new mown hay. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, LightningLover said:

I always believed it was certain chemicals being released from the plants & soil upon moisture contact...

The smell that creates petrichor occurs when chemicals produced by soil-dwelling bacteria known as actinomycetes are released. These aromatic compounds combine to create the pleasant petrichor scentwhen rain hits the ground. Courtesy of Wikipedia lol 

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, Hurricane Debby said:

Nice hypothesis, unfortunately, it's utter nonsense!

50 minutes ago, Snoopie42 said:

Same here Ben! Looking forward to some extreme heat as an extreme weather lover ( also looking forward to a storm tonight if im lucky enough), not so great for what i have to endure at the weekend! Got a pretty intense weekend of training....bring it on! 

Would love a good storm overnight but not holding much hope. Every met office warning this year for thundery weather hasn’t materialised here. 

Fingers crossed tonight delivers. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Surrey said:

That thing over France is big already.. And it's expected to get even bigger ?

Looks like  that it is swerving east of London again though @Surrey

serously though would love a serious downpour and thunderstorm to clear this god dam pollen, if only for a few hours.

havent tasted or smelt a thing for four days now.

bloody hayfever

Edited by snowbob
  • Like 3

Are there any good radar pics anyone can share?  So love a good storm, however, rather it was on a Friday night so that I can stay up and watch! 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, snowbob said:

Hope your right Steve 

bur I think the left arrow is gonna be where the centre arrow is

Note that there are new cells developing rapidly north of Rennes (west of the main focus currently).  I have a feeling that the radar is really going to come alive over the next hour.