Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Blessed Weather

Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion

45mph max gusts for areas central/ north of region tomorrow with perhaps 50mph gusts more towards the south east according to BBC look East. 

A normal UK winter windy day - as you were. 

Thank god the wind gusts are not storm named - another embarrassment to the rest of the world that actually get proper storms. 

Winds have died down for the first time in ages, it's a bit weird not hearing the weather. Quiet.

Holy cow, wind has really picked up. Literally sounded like a train whizzing past. 

Storm currently 986mb of Irish coast.. expected to deepen a lot further.. It has also slowed right down which would tie in with the high winds stick around much of the day ... 

1947426235_storm1.thumb.gif.85ff8b166b6bb36022da887ff99235d0.gif

Current live wind gusts:

Gusting 30mph inland and 40mph on coasts currently.. nothing unusual

2107976626_livewind.thumb.jpg.4e397a65ba6efc8db46c77d41c98dcb5.jpg

Also mentioned on convective weather UK is the potential for another squall line much later in the day as the cold front associated with this system sinks south.. This could mix down some very strong winds briefly.. 

I looked back over last Sunday and the max gust recorded inland was at Heathrow when the Thunderstorm moved through... 97KMH which equates to roughly 60mph.. 

Now gusting at 50-56 mph, which is so far the highest gust.

I think it was windier yesterday aroild here. Strong breeze today. Nothing noteworthy... yet. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

I think it was windier yesterday aroild here. Strong breeze today. Nothing noteworthy... yet. 

Didn't really have much wind yesterday, dover is quite sheltered from north westerlies unless they are very strong like last Sundays storm.

Edited by alexisj9

Highest gust at 60 now, frequency of gusts increasing as well.

43 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Highest gust at 60 now, frequency of gusts increasing as well.

looks like the worst will be wen that front comes through... 60mph even inland really gusty here now 

Getting some really strong gusts now here in Surbiton, fence panels moving quite wildly, hope they stay up.

Whilst the windspeed in isolation down here on the south coast is not particularly exceptional, I think the sheer persistance of it is.

I live approximately 11 miles from Herstmonceux and the official site there has been reporting hourly gusts in excess of 30mph for the last 38 hours. Prior to that there has been little or no respite for almost a week now. It seems relentless.

Worth mentioning that Herstmonceux is also several miles inland. I'm 2 miles inland and from my frequent visits to the seafront this week I can confirm it's been a very stormy spell of weather.

was blowing a gale on the thameside walk at Kingston bout 30 mins ago -the river was being blown into swirly white mares tails !!

Tree down again in my village, mum drove down the road twice today it fell on! Si lucky.. 

Anyone seen the one in Crawley that fell on the house? 

9 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Tree down again in my village, mum drove down the road twice today it fell on! Si lucky.. 

Anyone seen the one in Crawley that fell on the house? 

Nope, but I hope the people inside were alright.

I imagine under some of those line segments its rather wild... 

radar.thumb.jpg.116c2fcb5a851ffc091ce4a565c8bd17.jpg

Surrey is that coming our way 

4 minutes ago, Surrey said:

I imagine under some of those line segments its rather wild... 

radar.thumb.jpg.116c2fcb5a851ffc091ce4a565c8bd17.jpg

It certainly looks as though the worst is yet to come for us here in the south east.

5 minutes ago, Jimmyh said:

Surrey is that coming our way 

Yes heading straight for us... 

Oh my word i had better take cover in the steak house..... 

What time will that rain arrive? Will it get windier than it is now? Worried for some of the trees around here.

It has been windy but no sign of the forecasted 45 miles per hour to 55 miles per hour winds.

7 minutes ago, Katrine Basso said:

It has been windy but no sign of the forecasted 45 miles per hour to 55 miles per hour winds.

Same here currently in Pitsea, have had a few 30-40mph gusts earlier in the day but very quiet right now. 

3 hours ago, SenlacJack said:

Whilst the windspeed in isolation down here on the south coast is not particularly exceptional, I think the sheer persistance of it is.

I live approximately 11 miles from Herstmonceux and the official site there has been reporting hourly gusts in excess of 30mph for the last 38 hours. Prior to that there has been little or no respite for almost a week now. It seems relentless.

Worth mentioning that Herstmonceux is also several miles inland. I'm 2 miles inland and from my frequent visits to the seafront this week I can confirm it's been a very stormy spell of weather.

I thought exactly the same thing when I was driving over to Galley Hill from Hastings today 😀

It’s a wee bit breezy out, the whole house just shuddered! 😮