Jump to content

Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nightmare last night...power cut, no fans or anything - it was like trying to get to sleep in a sauna. Lightning was flashing all around and as there were no lights in the house the lightning showed u

Out on this morning's walk and as promised this time with camera at the ready. And I was lucky enough to hit the jackpot with this great display of virga from cloud in the distance. And you can see wh

This is not meant to cause offence but I’d appreciate it if you (and others) cease putting a dampener on genuine excitement at the current (and brief!) extreme weather. It’s a weather forum for weathe

Posted Images

What are people’s views of the Met Office’s  WOW website? 

 

Someone has submitted a 42.1c for St Ives this afternoon and another submission of 38.9 for Kingsway, Duxford.... the heat was definitely just to the west of Cambridge between the A505 and the A14 across to the A1.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends if where the temperatures and how they were recorded the Met Office.  I only record temperatures taken in the shade.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lewis1997 said:

What are people’s views of the Met Office’s  WOW website? 

 

Someone has submitted a 42.1c for St Ives this afternoon and another submission of 38.9 for Kingsway, Duxford.... the heat was definitely just to the west of Cambridge between the A505 and the A14 across to the A1.

They're probably not the most accurate type of station.  Apparently, those without a fan to keep the shaded air moving read high.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just drove from Canary Wharf to Kent (medway) along A2 and M2. Was 37oC the whole way except by the river when it was 36oC. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

They're probably not the most accurate type of station.  Apparently, those without a fan to keep the shaded air moving read high.

It’s worth looking at the 15 min intervals for Cambridge between 15:00 and 16:30.... I suspect the 38.1c will be raised if the Met Office dig deeper on the weather station. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lewis1997 said:

It’s worth looking at the 15 min intervals for Cambridge between 15:00 and 16:30.... I suspect the 38.1c will be raised if the Met Office dig deeper on the weather station. 

Wouldn't be at all surprised, and, given that it was only 0.4C off the all-time value, it's still possible that it might be a new record.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rumbles of Thunder and rain in Hailsham, E Sussex.

Been in the office all today but pretty cloudy from early afternoon onwards so I'm guessing that kept temps a bit lower than they might have been.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lewis1997 said:

It’s worth looking at the 15 min intervals for Cambridge between 15:00 and 16:30.... I suspect the 38.1c will be raised if the Met Office dig deeper on the weather station. 

Are there any met office stations in the sandy/biggleswade area...or east  towards Cambridge/Bishop Stortford ... seems strangely bereft...yet PWS reporting temps above 39 ..but PWS is PWS sadly hehe ... 

Any of them like this...might be more trustworthy!

image.thumb.png.d3fa6e33bc5bbd8a7a52a09a47f2d846.png

Edited by Bryn Webster
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bryn Webster said:

Are there any met office stations in the sandy/biggleswade area...or east  towards Cambridge/Bishop Stortford ... seems strangely bereft...yet PWS reporting temps above 39 ..but PWS is PWS sadly hehe ... 

Any of them like this...might be more trustworthy!

image.thumb.png.d3fa6e33bc5bbd8a7a52a09a47f2d846.png

For some reason, I seem to recall Camborne (Cambs) as one site the met office are happy with but I could be wrong. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...