Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nightmare last night...power cut, no fans or anything - it was like trying to get to sleep in a sauna. Lightning was flashing all around and as there were no lights in the house the lightning showed u

Out on this morning's walk and as promised this time with camera at the ready. And I was lucky enough to hit the jackpot with this great display of virga from cloud in the distance. And you can see wh

This is not meant to cause offence but I’d appreciate it if you (and others) cease putting a dampener on genuine excitement at the current (and brief!) extreme weather. It’s a weather forum for weathe

Posted Images

Home weather station was showing 39.6c and was shooting up......until I realised someone had gone out and moved sensor which was now in direct sun !! When do the kids go back to school :)

• Like 3
Just now, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Probably.  Dan tells me he has no way of knowing whether it's rounded-up to 38 from, say 37.6 or something, or whether its rounded-down.

I have always been under the impression that decimal points are rounded up. 

It's been cloudy most of the day in Sandbanks with bits of sunshine but we are now under clearer blue skies. Looking at the radar there are some sharp showers nearby. Does anyone have timings roughly for the storms later? Arriving back in Surbiton around 10-ish and not sure what to expect.

IMG_20190725_141016.jpg

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Bryn Webster said:

looking around at airport temps in the area...a sweet spot sadly was definitely St Neots-Cambridge strip but that load of cloud really dented chances! ? doh 

And now more cloud so definitely done here.  Looks nice and unstable though so good signs for later perhaps..

25  Jul cloud-min.jpg

• Like 1
Just now, No Balls Like Snow Balls said:

I have always been under the impression that decimal points are rounded up. 

The standard rule is .5 and above gets rounded up and .4 and below gets rounded down so it could be anywhere from 37.5 to 38.4 at Cambridge.

• Like 1

Finally got some decent cloud cover moving in again, good spell of sunshine pushed my local area back upto 35c again but given radar presentation and time of day, I suspect I may finally have peaked.

Great day though, 35c is the hottest day of the year and 2nd hottest I've ever had in this country (obviously August 10th won that one, we were at a similar temp to Gravesend, though being the opposite side of the estuary was just a smidgen lower.)

6 minutes ago, No Balls Like Snow Balls said:

Is this an official station?

No its via the UrbaNet network that some sites use.

I had a little moan on twitter today at Wunderground about the way they round up PWS temps now... well all of sudden they are not doing it.
My nearest weather station says 37.9 at the moment. 
The town is oddly silent. 

2 minutes ago, moogyboobles said:

I had a little moan on twitter today at Wunderground about the way they round up PWS temps now... well all of sudden they are not doing it.

Weatherquest's UEA station has also suddenly reverted to tenths of degrees after months of integers only.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, moogyboobles said:

Yes, just checked my station and now to decimal places. They must have changed it this morning US time.

• Like 2

Current temp hovering around 33-34, doesn't look to me as though the record has been broken... that said I'm sure the beeb/media will find some 'unofficial' reading that makes them think it has...for headline purposes. 

1 minute ago, Froze were the Days said:

I'd say that was inaccurate at Woodham... I've got 2 readings currently 32.8c (stevenson screen) and 34.6c (Kestrel 4000 handheld), but who knows with the variations and Writtle going sky high.

There are three PWS here, it has gone down slightly in the last 5 minutes, we have some cloud! The stations now say 36.9, 36.5, and 36.5. 
My garden thermometer is analogue so not that accurate! 
I keep meaning to get a weather station but can't make up my mind which to get!