Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion

Blessed Weather

Posted
1 hour ago, Katrine Basso said:

I have two air conditioning units and it may keep people cool but it has greatly worsened my fibromyaligia pain which is unbearable.  I needed to switch them off as it was causing more problems.  I am 56 years of age, I have never always been like this as I loved being in the sunshine and the last time I was like that was in 2007.

I have a quiet air conditioner and I did not pay £250 upwards but £65 on Amazon.

I'm trying out (my own) theory about air mass source and flare-ups with these types of health problems. Over the past two years, in addition to the CFS, I find 8-10 months of the year unbearable in terms of very bad sleep quality due to not being able to breathe in bed, probably due to sinuses. This means it can take up to lunch time to become functional with my head so congested, far from ideal for driving and taking care of the special needs young adult. I am wondering if anyone else finds polar-sourced air masses to improve their breathing/allergies? When we get continentally sourced air in particular, I am sure I feel much worse than when we get eg polar maritime, a northerly or something. Does this sound completely daft? Sorry if it does...

As with others, it's something of a relief to get rid of the severe heat today with the house still pretty warm and actually it stayed pretty hot indoors last night, but the light rain, high cloud and lower temperature just makes it all a bit easier to do stuff.

PS @TomSE12 I quite like your meteogroup summaries, so don't feel shy to continue with those sometimes, without burdening yourself of course.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Going to have a bit of a moan here...just saw the Look East local weather presented by the lady whose name escapes me, she said today's weather will 'come as a shock to the system' - really!?! just checked the temperature outside and it is 25c, how is that a shock to the system? which is still about 4 degrees centigrade above average. Even though its cooler only a tad fresher.

Some times I despair at these local presenters or even the lady on ITV with her OTT hand gestures, it really makes you think that they have limited knowledge on weather or our climate or perhaps told by the production team to make over issues.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Just been for my Wednesday walk experiencing a very brief passing shower (if you could call it that) and can categorically state it still feels quite humid though with more than a breeze than yesterday.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
3 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Going to have a bit of a moan here...just saw the Look East local weather presented by the lady whose name escapes me, she said today's weather will 'come as a shock to the system' - really!?! just checked the temperature outside and it is 25c, how is that a shock to the system? which is still about 4 degrees centigrade above average. Even though its cooler only a tad fresher.

Some times I despair at these local presenters or even the lady on ITV with her OTT hand gestures, it really makes you think that they have limited knowledge on weather or our climate or perhaps told by the production team to make over issues.

Yes Tim, it "beggars belief", doesn't it.

It's still been pretty warm and humid here in Lee and we've had a little rain, too. But the "Cavalry" are waiting in the wings to come sweeping through and send the vestiges of that hot/humid air packing eastwards, heralding a much more comfortable night, for sleeping. 

image.thumb.png.b47c0e6d9149368b700a2bee36a06e91.png

Hallelujah!!

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

There has been another shower of rain, which was unexpected.  The rain came at 4:30 pm and it was lovely watching it from my back garden porch.  I got a delivery of three plants for my garden: foxglove, thyme and teasel.  I already have lavender, sage,  borage, coriander, chamomile, fennel, salad burnet and viola and other plants.  The time is 18:18 and the temperature outside is 22.3°C with 60% humidity.

• Like 4

Posted

Temps. and Dew Points starting to fall away, as rain associated with that Cold Front, starts to advance from the West:

image.thumb.png.ef035421a0c9e6b8080a2ac9c12b1a81.png image.thumb.png.af755c19d9545163c5bcca46d3da8767.png  https://en.meteox.com/en-gb?fc=0

Regards,

• Like 3

Posted

The 12z Model Runs from the 3 main Forecast Models, are suggesting that this Weekend's cooler and fresher N.W. flow will just be a temporary interruption to a High Pressure dominated warm/settled spell, as we move through the first Week of Meteorological Autumn, especially for our Region.

12z ECM                                                                            12z GFS                                            

image.thumb.png.afd54a1f4eb33870e973d52fdf8c6382.png                           image.thumb.png.54f2b4096caab6273fb6e263ef2eda7f.png

12z UKMO  

image.thumb.png.872bd37c2a66c2ee411752e3d28ecb05.png

Regards,

image.png

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

The earth is undoubtedly warming at an alarming rate and to be honest I think that hundreds of millions of additional AC units would do huge environmental damage. Not only do they release harmful gases that damage the ozone layer but also the raw energy needed to run them 24/7 wouldn’t be great not to mention the artificial warming of towns and cities. Unfortunately everyone’s got to do their bit. 

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, shotski said:

The earth is undoubtedly warming at an alarming rate and to be honest I think that hundreds of millions of additional AC units would do huge environmental damage. Not only do they release harmful gases that damage the ozone layer but also the raw energy needed to run them 24/7 wouldn’t be great not to mention the artificial warming of towns and cities. Unfortunately everyone’s got to do their bit. 

So very true 

Posted
On 27/08/2019 at 23:10, SenlacJack said:

I was also a bit surprised by Daniels report of 22c max's on the coast in East Sussex in the last few days. Iv'e been out and about along the coast from Seaford to Rye Harbour in the last few days and the lowest max I encountered during that time was 24c in Eastbourne.

I was down at Rye Harbour this afternoon and recorded 30.4c on an admittedly cheap device.  Car thermometer was reading 30c so not too far off the mark.

Hiya here is a screen grab from Monday this ‘small’ stretch of coast running from Hastings east to Dungeness of course these are amateur PWS I think the 22.5C maximum was too low myself...Tuesday was indeed hot.

2BBF9B0F-FB2E-4F93-B894-7F754849C885.thumb.png.5705c5398b31ddba46390a5f25e64855.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
13 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Agree, it’s been going on for some years now, even on the BBC, where presenters are over excited and use weird arm movements, like they’re at a rave. I guess it’s an attempt to make the weather more exciting.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
6 hours ago, shotski said:

They do release some very nasty gases, think they’re called hydrofluocarbons which work a bit like CO2 but much more potently. That’s obviously not good. The mobile units don’t, though and how many nights in an average UK summer would one need air conditioning, anyway? Would hardly be ‘hundreds of millions’ of units needed here. There are solar powered units available now and that technology is rapidly advancing. 

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all,

Have decided to come downstairs very early, as our Bedroom Temperature still remains very uncomfortable. Despite having our 2 fans on full blast plus the obviously lowering external Temperature, I still needed to apply a few cold, wet flannels to my head, during the night.

The problem is our Bedroom retains heat, after a spell of excessively high Temps. and takes for an age to disperse. My Wife and I will certainly be looking at purchasing a portable air con. unit, after suffering disturbed sleep patterns for 2 consecutive Summers.

I used to be a "Global Warming" sceptic but "Doubting Thomas", is beginning to have second thoughts!! I thought that fluctuations in Temperature were due to cyclical changes in Climatology, rather than any human interference but I'm beginning to have my doubts now!!

@Reefseeker. Thank for your very kind words Angela but myself and Colette had to chuckle to ourselves, when reading your post from yesterday. Shyness is certainly not a trait that Colette or myself recognises in me. In fact Colette would suggest I'm the polar opposite and too open and chatty. I recently had to see a Neurologist/Therapist at King's College Hospital to gauge how my Brain is recovering from my Brain Haemorrhage/Stroke, nigh on 4 Years ago now. My long term memory has pretty much returned to normal but short term, still gives me a few problems. Also the Therapist suggested I was "missing social cues", in layman's terms basically, I don't know when to "shut up" and I'm far too open, chatty and naïve. These traits can be problem for "Stroke Survivors" but in my mind, I've always been like that. Any Member that has read my "War and Peace" Posts will know my motto seems to be, "Why use one word, when you can use twenty" :oldgrin:

Rain associated with that "relief bringing" Cold Front, finally cleared the extreme East of our Region around Midnight and Temperatures continue to lower, from the West:

image.thumb.png.0419d5d55744aa76b4199f5d1968a645.png

Regards,

Tom.  :hi: 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

I hope the temp is more comfortable for you both, and that you can get much needed sleep soon

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Up early with the dreaded man - can’t sleep and just lying down hurts - great ! 

Posted

I took the lazy route yesterday and posted up a video of MeteoGroup's extended Forecast. For those Members who'd rather not read my "War and Peace" commentary, here is a video of this Morning's extended Forecast, with Darren Bett.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/49501794

Darren began his Forecast stating that we're moving into a more changeable spell of Weather but moreso for the N.W. of the U.K., and all that  record breaking heat that we've just experienced over the Bank Holiday Weekend, has been pushed away into Continental Europe. 

Thursday, will be a cooler start than of late, for our Region but will remain dry and sunny, with a Max.Temp of a still respectable 24c/25c, for the London area. Friday, should remain dry, sunny and warm for our Region with a Max.Temp. again around 25c, for the London area.

Saturday, should remain sunny and dry for our Region with Max.Temps again in the mid-20c's, for the London area. Later on Saturday, a Cold Front pushes through our Region but any associated rain, should peter out. Once this Front has cleared away, it will open the door to a Polar Maritime N.W. flow of air. So, Sunday will be much cooler and fresher than of late, with sunny spells and perhaps a few light showers, for our Region. Max.Temps., much lower but may reach 20c, in London. Overnight Sunday, could see the Min. Temp., drop to 8c in London. This represents a drop in temperature of some 10c, on what we've seen lately. So, Tim's "Look East" weather presenter, that may well "come as a shock to the system".

A cool start to the new working Week then, on Monday but dry with sunny spells and a Max.Temp. of 21c, for the London area.

Darren then made reference to Storm DORIAN, on the other side of the Atlantic. It's yet to be decided upon track, causing some uncertainty in the extended outlook, especially with regard to High Pressure. It looks as if High Pressure will try to build towards the U.K., if somewhat delayed.

Darren finished his Forecast by stating that it will become drier(so remaining dry for our Region) and warmer again, later on in the Week. 

That's my interpretation of MeteoGroup's extended Forecast for our Region, seen through the eyes of Darren Bett.

So, a very pleasant spell of weather up and coming for our Region, without the recent excessive heat. Hopefully, some pleasant Birthday Weather for Yours Truly, on Sunday Week.

Regards,

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 4

Posted

Had a walk down to our local Shops just before Lunch. 

A hint of freshness on the skin but plenty warm enough, in the sun, without the excessive heat we've experienced, lately.

A perfect late Summer's day.

Regards,

• Like 3

Posted

Pleasant late summer day, sunny spells and the temperature reached 24C, despite the stiff breeze.

• Like 1

Posted

The 12z Model Runs from the 3 main Forecast Models, are still "singing from the same hymn sheet", regarding a fine, warm and settled spell of Weather, as High Pressure builds back in across our Region, for the middle of next Week. This coming after a much fresher Polar Maritime, N.W. flow, departs after the Weekend.

ECM(t120)                                                                      GFS(t120)                                              image.thumb.png.0b5598598ea920984dbaa57e828a995f.png                      image.thumb.png.7b6ad895f0e5ff584e27400156581ecf.png

UKMO(t120)

image.thumb.png.fabc771a23884cb5a416b501beecf7ed.png

Regards,

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

In bed all day with man flu ventured down stairs just now and was surprised how cold it felt - although might just have been the flu - huge clouds of steam coming of the pool and hot tub would suggest it’s cooled down. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
17 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

They do release some very nasty gases, think they’re called hydrofluocarbons which work a bit like CO2 but much more potently. That’s obviously not good. The mobile units don’t, though and how many nights in an average UK summer would one need air conditioning, anyway? Would hardly be ‘hundreds of millions’ of units needed here. There are solar powered units available now and that technology is rapidly advancing. 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/29/the-air-conditioning-trap-how-cold-air-is-heating-the-world

interesting read in the Guardian today. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.
19 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Hiya here is a screen grab from Monday this ‘small’ stretch of coast running from Hastings east to Dungeness of course these are amateur PWS I think the 22.5C maximum was too low myself...Tuesday was indeed hot.

2BBF9B0F-FB2E-4F93-B894-7F754849C885.thumb.png.5705c5398b31ddba46390a5f25e64855.png

Hi Daniel and thanks for posting that screenshot. The temperatures shown for Hastings and Rye seem out of sync with what I was recording in the area that day and way out of line with the surrounding temperatures.

My first thought was perhaps a sea mist which can reduce temperatures quite dramaticly but I was out and about in that area the whole afternoon and saw nothing but clear blue skies the whole time. The 15c report just inland from Eastbourne is way off the scale, Herstmonceux reported 28.1c that day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
13 minutes ago, SenlacJack said:

Hi Daniel and thanks for posting that screenshot. The temperatures shown for Hastings and Rye seem out of sync with what I was recording in the area that day and way out of line with the surrounding temperatures.

My first thought was perhaps a sea mist which can reduce temperatures quite dramaticly but I was out and about in that area the whole afternoon and saw nothing but clear blue skies the whole time. The 15c report just inland from Eastbourne is way off the scale, Herstmonceux reported 28.1c that day.

I work in Rye, I run my own taxi business, I can assure you it was alot warmer than 22c on tuesday, running down to camber the car was showing 28c for most of the day

• Like 1

Posted

Even though our Bedroom temperature has returned to near normal, last night being the most comfortable night's sleep I've had in many nights, still decided to come downstairs very early (4 AM).

Myself and my Wife have a busy Morning ahead of us, as she has to attend a Hospital appointment, over at Orpington, N.W.Kent.

Still feeling jaded after all the sleepless nights of late and due to this, my body clock has gone "skew-whiff". A common occurrence after sleep deprivation.

So, no "War and Peace" commentary to accompany MeteoGroup's extended Forecast this Morning,

"Just the basic facts. Can you show me where it hurts?" Probably, only Pink Floyd fans will understand that!!

Anyway, before you all become, "Comfortably Numb", here is a link to MeteoGroup's extended Forecast. This Morning, Darren Bett with, "just the basic facts":

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/49516284

Regards,

Tom.    :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 3

Morning all

I always said summer 2019 will be one that drags its heals in leaving... and so far I've been correct.. Although the blip start of August but that was actually in line with my overall summer forecast if September is above average temperature wise and below average rainfall I think we are in for a wet stormy season right through winter.. 

What I want to know moving forward is how two pretty hot summers on a trot will affect our autumn and winter. I'm still convinced of an above average winter temperature wise and precipitation wise as our sub tropical climate begins to become more apparent thanks to global warming and climate change.. (just my theory) 

Interesting to note that SSTs are above average right now which will have an impact on our weather moving into the colder months.