Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

c'mon..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

The air quality today has been quite poor... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Lots of distant thunder but passed to the east of me and now back in late evening sunshine. 

Although a work colleague lived right in path of it and reported over head thunder & not much else. 

Now for a evening trip to the local for a pint in the warmth. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, seaside 60 said:

How many people actually think bout having air con.

Trouble is, with heating most people use from Nov to April or pos longer if you are cold souls, personally we dont use it that much, in fact these days I use the air con more than heating but we do have a log burner.

The old thing 2 warm day and a storm dont apply anymore, so the heat didnt last long enough to spend money on air con.
Maybe its my age bracket but most people I speak to these days dont do this 30c plus weather any more.

With the consistent muggy humid weather we have in this country with sticky night and this seemingly hotter weather I would think air con will become the thing to have, of course budgets allowing. 

In fact I would think it will become a growth industry.

I’m surprised more people don’t think about air conditioning. Homes in this country are typically designed to hold heat in. Great for winter but obviously the opposite in summer. I understand that a full air conditioning system isn’t cheap. Mobile units are not too bad, however. If they ensure decent night’s sleep throughout summer, then they’re a no brainer. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I’m surprised more people don’t think about air conditioning. Homes in this country are typically designed to hold heat in. Great for winter but obviously the opposite in summer. I understand that a full air conditioning system isn’t cheap. Mobile units are not too bad, however. If they ensure decent night’s sleep throughout summer, then they’re a no brainer. 

I agree SB...And, given the fact that hot weather is more-often-than-not also sunny, a/c would be an ideal candidate for using renewable energy?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

I have to say, so far a pretty good call from the Arpege,GFS and Hirlam overnight Model Runs, I commented on this Morning. They suggested any PPN, would be confined to the North of our Region. This was the situation at 18.30:

https://en.meteox.com/en-gb?fc=0&lightning=1

Regards,

Tom :hi:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Today is warmer than yesterday by a few degrees.  Today maximum temperature was 32°C.  Conflicting weather reports about tomorrows expected rain has fizzled away.  Tomorrow will be another dry day and it will be like that for several days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

My flat is not easy to keep cool in summer and it is difficult to keep warm in winter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

A bit disappointing that all the forms fired so close to here but skimmed just a few miles west. Can see all the big clouds and hear the rumbles but dry as a bone in CB1. A memorable hot spell is coming to a close. One more yucky 19c night to endure.

Posted

Thankfully, just the one more oppressive, sticky night to endure in our Bedroom (aka. the Black Hole of Kolkata).

image.thumb.png.ef5f49c12936e21bb98a5d938795d5bb.png image.thumb.png.ffa459fb6d74133c38a08dcb37094de2.png

But the Cavalry is waiting in the wings, to usher in that cooler, fresher air!! C'mon you Cold Front. :clap:

image.thumb.png.814624bfae527d07e6c69b47f2caa53f.png

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

• Like 2

Posted
13 hours ago, sunnijim said:

Super pictures.

Must just pull you up on East Sussex coast temperatures during a heatwave.

Yesterday the official reading on Hastings seafront was 27c and 25c in Brighton,not sure where you were at 22c?

More over it is not a given that a sea breeze will spring up during a heatwave,if a land breeze occurs instead the coastline can get hotter than London,as was the case in July when 32c was achieved on the East Sussex coast, Generally an East or North East flow required so that continental heat 'bends back' across the warm land toward us.

Near Rye, Camber PWS reached 22.5C it did feel warmer, it felt rather hot and unpleasant today in Hastings until sea breeze kicked in around half 3 in afternoon, very hazy sunshine with a mist reducing visibility the cool sea and warm land owe to that, car showed 29C in Hastings a novelty... set off at 27C in Winchelsea touch cooler.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well there was a thunderstorm here, managed to find the gap on the rain so mostly moderate falls here.

A cracking spell of hot and sunny weather ended with a homegrown thunderstorm. 

Interestingly we might keep temperatures at around or above average out to the end of the month as a front bringing cooler conditions will only arrive late on Saturday with a south west feed ahead of it.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Once again any action (and I include rain in that) is in Lincs and the NE. Dreadful here, lack of rain is as bad as it was in 2018. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
3 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Agree @stainesbloke with the end of the world apocalypse over a few days of heat you would have thought at least a mobile air con unit over the constant ‘it’s too hot’ would be a decent investment for those that think a few days of hot weather out of 365 days of the year is to much. 

• Like 3

Posted
15 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Agree @stainesbloke with the end of the world apocalypse over a few days of heat you would have thought at least a mobile air con unit over the constant ‘it’s too hot’ would be a decent investment for those that think a few days of hot weather out of 365 days of the year is to much. 

Alas too many whingers in the UK.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.
16 hours ago, sunnijim said:

Super pictures.

Must just pull you up on East Sussex coast temperatures during a heatwave.

Yesterday the official reading on Hastings seafront was 27c and 25c in Brighton,not sure where you were at 22c?

More over it is not a given that a sea breeze will spring up during a heatwave,if a land breeze occurs instead the coastline can get hotter than London,as was the case in July when 32c was achieved on the East Sussex coast, Generally an East or North East flow required so that continental heat 'bends back' across the warm land toward us.

I was also a bit surprised by Daniels report of 22c max's on the coast in East Sussex in the last few days. Iv'e been out and about along the coast from Seaford to Rye Harbour in the last few days and the lowest max I encountered during that time was 24c in Eastbourne.

I was down at Rye Harbour this afternoon and recorded 30.4c on an admittedly cheap device.  Car thermometer was reading 30c so not too far off the mark.

Posted

I didn't realise a video of MeteoGrouo's extended Forecast, could be found on the BBC Weather website. So rather than post up an analysis of this Morning's broadcast, below is the link to it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/49491144

Another very uncomfortable night just passed but fortunately for Yours Truly, the final one.

The main body of the "Cavalry", is still out West but an advanced "Guard" has already made a foray, into "Enemy" territory, as can be seen below, in this Fax Chart:

image.thumb.png.e98c7cf20c057d59bec0008700f66ae4.png

This clears a path for the liberating "Troops" to make a complete breakthrough, later on today

image.thumb.png.5b36d92784d394669d4f83fa1f334d12.png

But fear not heat lovers, the Weather could well remain agreeable for ALL, as we head into September.

image.thumb.png.798a45e50676f4d314b635b3b7a60dc8.png

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 4

Posted

Finally, the rain has arrived at 6:40 am. I doubted that the rain would appear but my doubts have been quashed.  Glorious refreshing rain, falling from the skies to water my garden.  I am looking forward to the cooler temperatures.

• Like 2

Posted

Even with the large air coolers it has not helped my fibromyalgia as I have severe stabbing pains in my lower back.  I live in a maisonette flat that was built in the 1950's.  It is the combination of humidity and heat that affects me.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather
10 hours ago, Portsmouth Sun said:

Alas too many whingers in the UK.

So the air con in your hotel when you go abroad for a weeks summer holiday is firmly turned off?

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Katrine Basso said:

Even with the large air coolers it has not helped my fibromyalgia as I have severe stabbing pains in my lower back.  I live in a maisonette flat that was built in the 1950's.  It is the combination of humidity and heat that affects me.

As others have recommended I've got an old (10 years+ ?) portable aircon unit. I use it very occasionally in my little office as when we have temps like yesterday as it becomes unbearable with all the computer monitors acting like heaters. At such times it can be a godsend. You might want to think about one - they're not that expensive, from about £250 upwards (last time I looked), depending on features and how quiet you want it to be. It might be worth looking at a few in a shop as you might want to judge the weight (mine is heavy and the weight distribution is odd) and hose length practicality etc etc.

Posted

I have two air conditioning units and it may keep people cool but it has greatly worsened my fibromyaligia pain which is unbearable.  I needed to switch them off as it was causing more problems.  I am 56 years of age, I have never always been like this as I loved being in the sunshine and the last time I was like that was in 2007.

I have a quiet air conditioner and I did not pay £250 upwards but £65 on Amazon.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Katrine Basso said:

I have two air conditioning units and it may keep people cool but it has greatly worsened my fibromyaligia pain which is unbearable.  I needed to switch them off as it was causing more problems.  I am 56 years of age, I have never always been like this as I loved being in the sunshine and the last time I was like that was in 2007.

I have a quiet air conditioner and I did not pay £250 upwards but £65 on Amazon.

Sorry to hear that. Hope things get better with this cooler weather. (BTW ... £65 for a quiet proper aircon unit is stellar deal...)

• Like 2