Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion

Blessed Weather

Posted

Interesting variations today compared to yesterday.

I'm 6 miles NE of Writtle and 10 miles S of Andrewsfield MetO stations, and usually the max temps I record are a bit lower than Writtle and the same/slightly higher than Andrewsfield.

The maxes yesterday were:
Writtle 32.2
Andrewsfield 30.5
Me 29.8

Today:
Writtle 32.1
Andrewsfield 30.8
Me 31.7

Almost the same as yesterday for Writtle and Andrewsfield, but 1.9 higher for me today. I think it was because yesterday the temp flatlined at 15:30 and didn't increase again, but today it continued rising until 16:15.

Exactly the same conditions though - sunny all day with very light wind. What could cause such a variation or is it a micro-climatic quirk?

Edited by h2005__uk__

Posted

Back down East Sussex coast and as always weather does not disappoint a sultry 32*C back home in Rotherhithe for second consecutive day. A much cooler and enjoyable 22C here which was forecast 27C, local sea breezes likely at work. A beautiful and quirky stretch of coastline close to mainland France but often the continentality (heat) does not leap over, making it most pleasant place for summer weather in the UK with copious amounts of warm sunshine. 

B67E53DA-9B70-45EC-8A83-942F7001234B.thumb.jpeg.e6ab8b344242152eb92c5ef14a161862.jpegF874A50E-65CD-4755-8979-593E9EE44B03.thumb.jpeg.9017aeb62fcdeafe615199018c60004d.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
8 hours ago, yamkin said:

As it's not one of the MetO's official weather stations, they will not consider this as a genuine reading

Shirley that’s not possible .

Anyway , I’m currently out in Antalya and it’s reached a 45c a couple of times ,  28c low , humidity was unbearable last night at 96%

anyway I have to admit I’m a little jaffa cakesed Off at London hitting 33c or so whilst I’m not there

This time last year I went to almeria and I would love to go back there .

Love to all the net weather gang 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
11 hours ago, yamkin said:

Current temp in Shirley, Croydon, Greater London 33.9C - In The Shade!

926955316_TempInShirley26_08_2019.thumb.png.b75efd46ce31b11252875f281c9c93e8.png

Perhaps you should get that Checked...? I don’t have a huge amount of experience with temperature measurement, but based on the readings nearby, that seems a tad inaccurate? It’s probably just me, though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

Up extremely early this Morning. Couldn't hack the excessive heat in the Bedroom anymore, so decided to go downstairs. 

We just had a Scampi Salad for our Evening meal last night. But just having our grill on for 20 minutes sent a column of hot air, up to the top level of the House.

I was wrong about the not too excessive Dew Point Temperature, making for a comfortable night's sleep, it didn't!! :nonono:

The actual Temperature took an age to come down and our 2 Bedroom fans, made no difference last night. Myself and my Wife slept with cold, wet flannels on our faces for much of the night.

Now sitting between our 2 Lounge fans, about to watch a recording of MeteoGroup's extended Forecast, this Morning with Stav Danaos.

Stav began his Forecast by talking about yesterday's record breaking heat, 33c was reached but from midweek onwards, a lowering temperature regime for our Region, will see those Max,Temps. falling to around 23c.

Today, our Region should remain dry with long sunny spells and Max.Temps down a touch for the London area but still hot at 31c. Stav's graphics showed the likelihood of t/showers and t/storms breaking out away to the N.W./N., of our Region but no mention of the "T" word, down here in the S.E tonight.

By Wednesday, a Cold Front starts to make it's way across the U.K. Some t/showers and t/storms could break out across our Region, ahead of this advancing Front with 28c still possible for East Anglia but down to 24c, for the London area.

By the end of the Week, it should turn cooler and breezier, as an invigorated Jet Stream starts to send Low Pressure systems towards the U.K. but these areas of Low Pressure won't have much impact on our Region, as Pressure stays relatively high, indeed it could remain dry for the rest of the Week, in the S.E. 

Dry for our Region on Thursday then, with a Max.Temp. of a near normal 23c, for the London area. Friday should remain dry for our Region with a Max.Temp. of 24c, for the London area.

By Saturday, a rain band associated with a Cold Front sinks S.E., across our Region. So the possibility of some short lived but useful rain for gardens in the S.E., with a Max.Temp of 23c for the London area.

By Sunday, High Pressure looks to try and build in again from the S.W. 

Stav's finishing caption read, Further Ahead, "Feeling cool for a time. Showers, breezy at first. Becoming more settled."

That's my interpretation of MeteoGroup's extended Forecast for our Region, seen through the eyes of Stav Danaos. 

Apologies to "heat lovers" but I really do hope we've seen the last of the 32c/33c's and see a more normal 22c/23c, as we enter September. Sorry but I think "heat lovers" have had a good "trot", for the last 2 Summers  September is my Birthday Month and I've experienced some very pleasant Weather around that time, without excessive heat!!

Regards,

Tom.    :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Still reluctance from the overnight Model Runs to break out much in the way of Ppn, thundery or otherwise, over our Region today. Below, are a few examples:

GFSimage.thumb.png.f034e038f77db69c5021429f7be912de.png  Nowt there, all the action away to the N.W./N., of our Region.

ARPEGE - image.thumb.png.6f716ba3695ad67713d13027c5567ee7.png  Perhaps something could initiate in the North of our Region.

HIRLAM -  image.thumb.png.08feb6a0c13b7db92e00bc3481904e42.png Very similar, to the Arpege Model.

Could be a case for Radar watching later today, to see if any t/showers/storms develop "in situ", over our Region.

Regards,

Tom.    :hi:

image.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
9 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Back down East Sussex coast and as always weather does not disappoint a sultry 32*C back home in Rotherhithe for second consecutive day. A much cooler and enjoyable 22C here which was forecast 27C, local sea breezes likely at work. A beautiful and quirky stretch of coastline close to mainland France but often the continentality (heat) does not leap over, making it most pleasant place for summer weather in the UK with copious amounts of warm sunshine. 

B67E53DA-9B70-45EC-8A83-942F7001234B.thumb.jpeg.e6ab8b344242152eb92c5ef14a161862.jpegF874A50E-65CD-4755-8979-593E9EE44B03.thumb.jpeg.9017aeb62fcdeafe615199018c60004d.jpeg

Super pictures.

Must just pull you up on East Sussex coast temperatures during a heatwave.

Yesterday the official reading on Hastings seafront was 27c and 25c in Brighton,not sure where you were at 22c?

More over it is not a given that a sea breeze will spring up during a heatwave,if a land breeze occurs instead the coastline can get hotter than London,as was the case in July when 32c was achieved on the East Sussex coast, Generally an East or North East flow required so that continental heat 'bends back' across the warm land toward us.

Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 3

Posted

Yippee another no doubt useless thunderstorm warning issued for Suffolk! Don’t think we’ve had a single one that’s come to anything this year. Thankfully last hot day  of this spell of weather too, I know some love it, but not me, although to be fair it’s been more bearable than the July heat, with night time temps reasonable for sleep. Humidity is already higher here today though, which makes it sticky and uncomfortable. Look forward to the torrential 1% chance of rain later 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

32c in the bedroom last night, 3 fans did nothing really. Finally after a bit of sleep woke up at 8am dizzy with my hair a sweaty mess. 

Another useless warning for me too, will be watching anything thunderly go north again. 

And no, just getting cloudy in 30c heat isn't nice either.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Dami said:

32c in the bedroom last night, 3 fans did nothing really. Finally after a bit of sleep woke up at 8am dizzy with my hair a sweaty mess. 

Another useless warning for me too, will be watching anything thunderly go north again. 

And no, just getting cloudy in 30c heat isn't nice either.

portable air con unit - it's the best investment I've made. Room was 31oC. Turned it on - down to 23oC by bedtime. It noisy so switch it to fan mode at night. The room creeps back up to 25/26oC and holds. So nice. Though after the last few summers looking at permanent air con for upstairs.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
2 minutes ago, CanadianCoops said:

portable air con unit - it's the best investment I've made. Room was 31oC. Turned it on - down to 23oC by bedtime. It noisy so switch it to fan mode at night. The room creeps back up to 25/26oC and holds. So nice. Though after the last few summers looking at permanent air con for upstairs.

Get an air con unit, its a superb investment in this what appears to be changing world.

The new ones do fan, heating and cold and very cheap to run.

I got 2 the other year and wished I had got them years ago, however be careful where you go to get them we got quotes some were double of the company we used.

I used a local company that are superb. 

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, seaside 60 said:

Get an air con unit, its a superb investment in this what appears to be changing world.

The new ones do fan, heating and cold and very cheap to run.

I got 2 the other year and wished I had got them years ago, however be careful where you go to get them we got quotes some were double of the company we used.

I used a local company that are superb. 

Cheers - i like the sound of heating too - usable and beneficial all year. Some quotes I've got vary considerable. The best so far - 2500 for 3 outlets in the ceiling (three main bedrooms) and the main unit fitted 

• Like 1

Posted

Given the overall warming climate, buildings must generally be warmer during the summer nowadays - couple that with intense heat and it'll become very unpleasant indoors.

Therefore it's becoming more and more important to invest in A/C - even a portable one which should cost no more than £200 and cools a standard size bedroom within an hour to a comfortable level for sleeping.

I know £200 isn't pocket money (and they cost about 50p per night to run) but surely it's worth it to improve comfort levels.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Last hot and sunny day today. Got the day off so I am going to enjoy it. Well aside from the 1 year jabs that my son will never forgive me for.

enjoy today, probably will be the last 30c+ day until next year... famous last words of course....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, CanadianCoops said:

These work very well. A good one is about £350 but that’s not a massive expense, especially if one has trouble sleeping in summer. Am surprised more people on here that dislike the heat don’t have them or air conditioning, if funds allow.

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

These work very well. A good one is about £350 but that’s not a massive expense, especially if one has trouble sleeping in summer. Am surprised more people on here that dislike the heat don’t have them or air conditioning, if funds allow.

I agree - Mine only cost 200 quid ad works a treat. For those on a budget plan now for next year and that's 20 pounds a month (assuming you get it in early summer) . Great value for money.

Edited by CanadianCoops
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
15 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

How many people actually think bout having air con.

Trouble is, with heating most people use from Nov to April or pos longer if you are cold souls, personally we dont use it that much, in fact these days I use the air con more than heating but we do have a log burner.

The old thing 2 warm day and a storm dont apply anymore, so the heat didnt last long enough to spend money on air con.
Maybe its my age bracket but most people I speak to these days dont do this 30c plus weather any more.

With the consistent muggy humid weather we have in this country with sticky night and this seemingly hotter weather I would think air con will become the thing to have, of course budgets allowing. 

In fact I would think it will become a growth industry.

Edited by seaside 60
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Signs of the atmosphere becoming unstable here now - boiling hot day again and up to 33c for the third day in a row- cloudless until the last hour or so, with some big clouds now forming. Chance of storms increasing.

It’s been a very good hot spell - the last 6 days have been 28/30/30/33/33/33c. Whenever you get 5 days in a row above 30c it’s a noteworthy hot spell.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

In Ely and yes the cloud is building nicely, any loss of heat from the cloud being made up by the higher humidity. Hard to tell how any shower potential will pan out, looking surface based, albeit rather elevated in itself due to the heat.

Posted

Some  interesting clouds to my south-east  here right now in Wycombe, love this one rising up like a wedding cake over the trees!

It's now hotter than this time yesterday - currently 31.6.c and rising. 

Shame we're outside any warning zone, a storm is what I need as it's unbearable to work in.

IMG_1891.JPG

IMG_1892.JPG

Edited by Team Squirrel
  • Like 3

Posted

Well back home and it is sunny with storms kicking off to the east. Oh well...