Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

I'm declaring it an official "Face Flannel image.thumb.png.cfaad0b7f72a27fd77d882083f61c831.pngin the

image.thumb.png.6508f64a1d1eb454da6784db277af8ef.png  Freezer Day"!! Sammy Snowman has made way for a couple. I would really recommend putting one in your Freezer, for about 10/15 minutes and slapping it on your forehead. It really does work.

My Wife and I did this a few weeks ago, when that Temperature record was broken in Cambridge. I'm about to take a couple out of our Freezer now.

Another Non-Oven Day today and just a nice cool, refreshing Salad tonight.

Much thanks to Kirkcaldy Weather above for that link to the September '68, Bromley/Lewisham floods.

Can't believe that our own little Tributary of the Ravensbourne, the River Quaggy, has it's own Wikipedia Page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Quaggy

Regards,

Tom.  :hi: 

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

32c reaches back home so a properly hot day. Just relaxing in the garden now with the temperature still above 30c. Lovely.

• Like 3

Posted

I spoke to local Meteorologist Ian Currie, a short while ago.

Mr. Currie suggested that the Max.Temp. record for the 25th August (today's date), has been broken. I'm not sure if that's been verified by the Met. Office, yet though.

Ian suggested that there could be a few thundery showers triggered over our area, in the next few days but he's not expecting anything too widespread, before temperatures ease back closer to normal. He then expects High Pressure to build back in for early September, before a more unsettled spell takes hold, further on into September.

It really has been like the, "Black hole of Calcutta" (or should that be Kolkata), here in Lee today.

Really not looking forward to retiring to bed tonight. I really think our 2 Bedroom fans may struggle to make much of a difference to the Bedroom temperature, tonight. 

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Arrived back from Almeria Spain yesterday after a 3 week break. 

Wonderful to return to sun and heat, makes those holidays blues a little easier. 

Warm and sunny today in Bedfordshire 

No problems with humidity or heat feels after being in Spain. Very pleasant evening yesterday and now compared to Almeria. In fact it’s nice to feel comfortable 

Posted
1 hour ago, Captain Shortwave said:

32c reaches back home so a properly hot day. Just relaxing in the garden now with the temperature still above 30c. Lovely.

It’s a beaut CS 

lapping up every minute after my holidays. 

Back to business as usual in no time I’m sure. 

Posted

Really was expecting "dew points" to be higher tonight, over our Region. They don't look too high at the moment, so like last night, it shouldn't be too difficult to sleep.

image.thumb.png.fc6433135e509e42e1e751173716bead.png

Regards,

Tom.  :hi: 

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 3

Posted

Decided to get up early today and come downstairs to sit under our Lounge fans, after a reasonable night's sleep.

Unfortunately, my Wife had to use the oven last night after all, as my Stepson rather selfishly insisted on his evening meal being cooked in the oven. So his Mother had to tend to a hot oven, in our tiny, steamy Kitchen. Very unfair, on my Wife. This meant that the hot air would rise up into our Bedroom, the upstairs Landing and the Bathroom. 

My Stepson then had the cheek to complain about the temperature later, on a trip to the Bathroom. 

It felt like walking into a Sauna, during an overnight trip to the Bathroom.

The problem is our House is only a 2 Bedroom property and our Bedroom, although being the larger of the two, is barely larger than a Box Room. The building policy in the area seems to be to build a lot of them and cram as many people into them as possible. It causes a lot of angst between myself and my Wife, who understandably doesn't like to hear her little House, "dissed"!! Oh to be back in leafy Chislehurst with my children, in this interminable heat!!

Now sitting with a cuppa and about to watch a recording of Meteogroup's extended Forecast, again with Chris Fawkes. Hopefully the Forecast Models have finally agreed on a location, for our "Oxbow Lake", Cut Off Low. Time to find out.

Chris began his Forecast by talking about the uncertainty and complexity, of the current Synoptics.

Seemingly, Forecast Models have settled on 2 Cut Off Lows, one over Portugal and the other one, just to the S.W., of the U.K. and because these have formed to the West of the U.K., the Weather will remain hotter for longer, over the East of the country. The Cut Off Low to our S.W, will ultimately be the catalyst for bringing some thundery Weather, to the U.K.

For our Region, Bank Holiday Monday looks to be hot, dry with long sunny spells and a Max.Temp, for the London area of around 33/34c. So, that late Bank Holiday Temperature record, looks likely to be broken.

Tuesday, during the Day, remains hot, dry and sunny for our Region with a Max. of 32c for the London area. Overnight Tuesday, the Cut Off Low to our S.W. will start to encroach, into the U.K., which will trigger some thundery downpours.

Chris stated that any t/storms that do occur, will have variable amounts of rain but quite a lot of lightning. So Tuesday night for some, could be quite spectacular. Although, IMO, Chris' graphics suggested a pretty sporadic, "hit and miss" affair for our Region. On into Wednesday and cooler air starts to arrive over our Region, with a lowering temperature regime. Still very pleasant though, with a Max.Temp. of 25c for the London area.

On into Thursday and the Weather remains dry and bright for our Region but with Temperatures down significantly to around 22c, for the London area. Friday, starts to see pressure slowly rising and our Region will start to warm up again, with Max.Temps. of 24c, for the London area.

On into the Weekend and the Weather for our Region should be mainly dry, although a Front moving down from the N.W., could bring a little rain with it but "fizzling" out, as it moves S.E.

So, another very pleasant Weekend "on the cards" for us in the S.E. but without the intense heat, of the one just passed.

That's my interpretation of MeteoGroup's extended Forecast for our Region, seen through the eyes of Chris Fawkes.

I happened to mention the Oxbow Lake/Cut Off Low analogy in my conversation with local Meteorologist Ian Currie, last night. He thought it was a good one but ex-Geography Master Ian was quick to point out that whereas the body of water that separates from a River to form an Oxbow Lake, remains still, unlike the air in a Cut Off Low that continues to rotate.

Very precise our Mr,Currie and IMO, resembles a quirky Professor but a very amenable and accessible one.

Hope you all enjoy your Bank Holiday Monday, on what should be a record breaking one.

Regards,

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Another decent start to the day on the banks of the River Crouch, not a cloud in the sky...and start of Burnham Week, reached 29.2c yesterday.

DSCF3687.JPG

• Like 5

Posted

Current temp in Shirley, Croydon, Greater London 33.9C - In The Shade!

926955316_TempInShirley26_08_2019.thumb.png.b75efd46ce31b11252875f281c9c93e8.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
51 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Is this the last throws of summer? A northerly will be setting in end of this month.

I'd be surprised, yes looks like a fairly chilly northerly towards the end of the week could be on the cards but plenty of time for that 'heat bubble of Europe' to reassert itself again...

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, yamkin said:

Current temp in Shirley, Croydon, Greater London 33.9C - In The Shade!

926955316_TempInShirley26_08_2019.thumb.png.b75efd46ce31b11252875f281c9c93e8.png

As it's not one of the MetO's official weather stations, they will not consider this as a genuine reading

Posted
11 minutes ago, Portsmouth Sun said:

I’m surprised we haven’t seen 38.8c in Croydon to beat the official UK record. 

30.4c currently in sw11.(in the shade)

Edited by andymcpool

Posted
3 minutes ago, yamkin said:

As it's not one of the MetO's official weather stations, they will not consider this as a genuine reading

I know. Your garden always seems to be 3 or 4 degrees warmer than neighbouring postcodes. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Great to see good weather for Keswick agricultural  show, much maligned with poor weather on previous years - heading home and already an hour further south and east it’s up to 25c and almost no cloud - looks like it’s hot in the garden back home in Surrey around 30.5 c not as hot as Yamkins back garden though !! 

0716C953-D47F-491F-B6ED-D9F692C8F070.jpeg

D6058A76-357C-47B8-9A40-A7CF9E204D9D.jpeg

237A723E-505F-48F4-B221-203D5641F3F4.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

It was on the cards, but beating the date record by what will be over 4c, is pretty amazing.

Also something I saw yesterday that Emmelord in Holland reached 31.9c beating the date record, however last year on the same day it only reached 16.3c, that also is something to behold.

Posted

Afternoon all,

Just got up after my Afternoon nap and now sitting in our Lounge between our 2 fans with a partially frozen flannel on my head.

It's not a great look but who cares, it's really refreshing and something my Wife and I started doing when that last really hot spell struck. Had a walk down to Sainsburys at Lee Green this Morning and it was so nice to reach the coolness of the interior of the Supermarket.

I'm so glad my Wife got me to change my habit of wearing jeans and boots throughout the Summer. I used to flatly refuse to wear Sandals and Shorts. I'm not sure whether it was through vanity or being self conscious but I just didn't have the self confidence, to dress like that. I've "lived" in Sandals and Shorts for the last two Summers.

Always thought of Sandals as "Jesus Creepers". Ridiculous I know but having a "near death" experience nigh on 4 Years ago, has changed my mindset. Just as my Brontophobia isn't as intense as it used to be, having that Brain Haemorrhage back in September 2015, has helped me put my life into perspective more.

I bought these "Jesus Creepers", from the excellent Deichmann Store in Bromley - image.thumb.png.9998ba4433a4f9574c9c678ed5e0748a.png

Agree with MeteoGroup Forecaster Nick Miller, when he stated yesterday that we've had another very warm Summer but the difference to last Year is, that it's come in short intense bursts, rather than the continuous blistering heat of last Summer.

Regards,

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

According to my manual garden thermometer, the outdoor temperature (in the shade) is 30°C.  My automated weather station says that it is 28.5°C at 17.25.  The sky is clear and there is a light warm breeze.  Whenever there is thunder in Thurrock it sounds the same as when my upstairs neighbour is throwing furniture around her flat.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

32c reached the second day in a row. 4 days reaching 90f or above and 6 days which reached 30c.

not too bad a summer. Maybe one more 30c tomorrow.

• Like 3

Posted

Not meaning to be a "party pooper" for those Brontophiles amongst our Members but the 12z GFS doesn't seem to have much appetite for breaking out any PPN, over our Region tomorrow night.

image.thumb.png.dc7b0e29ca8d9927d2a77ffe59405e17.png image.thumb.png.1206e4d94b0c45b64e9733fc9068791f.png

But then again, it's only one Model!!

This is the 12z Arpege, take on things. Again very little appetite to break out much PPN. Just the suggestion of somethimg in the very North of our Region during the early Evening, tomorrow.

image.thumb.png.0ebbff6bfa5ac54c1de7c3af4aa1a381.png   image.thumb.png.74176760ca94535ae2abe46720513870.png

If I was a thunder lover, I would have found the last 2 Summers very frustrating. Like having record breaking cold Temperatures in the Winter Months, with no snow.

But just as last Summer and it would be the same in Winter - extreme heat or extreme cold doesn't necessarily equate to thunder or snow.

Regards,

• Like 3

Posted

I'm really surprised again, like last night, that Dew Point Temperatures (on the left), aren't higher for our Region, at the moment. Whereas, actual Temperatures (on the right),  are still very high. 

image.thumb.png.992f91fd9cad14583747c1f3471f6ac2.png  image.thumb.png.1076eeb48e2ebc3a8c51896e29a6deb0.png

Hopefully it will mean that getting a decent night's sleep, shouldn't prove too difficult.

Regards,

Tom.     :hi:

• Like 2

Posted

Beautiful boiling August bank holiday Monday. 

Long overdue...

May squeak another early 30’s tomorrow. Loving every minute. 

• Like 3