Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Refreshingly cool outside this evening with a hint of mist after a beautiful day a max of 25.6c here, dry as pharaohs sock out in my garden.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

away for the weekend but managed to time it well for a change weather in lake districts great !!

JPEG image-B8F6DA8CCEA2-1.jpeg

JPEG image-5F2AAE6D19F9-1.jpeg

JPEG image-54CABFF97923-1.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

Nearby Herstmonceaux recorded a max of 28.3c at 5pm this evening. My car thermometer was reading 27c on the seafront in Hastings around that time. A great start to the Bank Holiday Weekend.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

Up early to take my B.P. medication (can't believe in a few weeks time, it will be the 5th Anniversary of my near fatal, Brain Haemorrhage).

Now relaxing with a cuppa, toast and peanut butter. 

My Wife is having a well deserved "lie-in", after consecutive 12 hour shifts in a "sweaty, steamy", Care Home!!

Have just watched a recording of MeteoGroup's Weather for the Week ahead, with Chris Fawkes.

Chris started his Forecast by stating that 32c was recorded at Heathrow, yesterday and they could even go higher today.This is courtesy of High Pressure way to our East, pulling in a hot S.E. flow from Continental Europe.

Today will be dry with long sunny spells and a Max.Temp. again of around 32c, for the London area.

Still very warm for us on Bank Holiday Monday but Ecclesstill some disagreement, in the Forecast Models with the Jet Stream taking an undulating route. Some Models suggesting 2 Cut Off Lows (Chris actually used, the "Oxbow Lake" analogy). I should have put a patent on it!! :oldangry:You heard it here first, honest. I actually have a reasonable Geography "O" level and not forgetting, a budgerigar!!Those of you who aren't Spike Milligan/Peter Sellers, or Goon Show fans, won't understand that!!

Anyway back to the Weather, Bluebottle/Eccles.

Other Forecast Models, suggesting just the one "Oxbow Lake", Cut Off Low, off to the S.W., of the U.K.

At the moment (more on that at the end of this post), Bank Holiday Monday looks another hot day with long sunny spells and a Max.Temp., for the London area of 32c, perhaps even a tad higher.

Chris then stated some changes are likely by midweek, with the possibility of thundery showers breaking out, as early as Tuesday, for our Region. Still very warm in our Region but with Temps, down a touch to around 28c for the London area.

On Wednesday, our Region could see some showers and t/storms breaking out, ahead of an Eastward moving Front. Still some very warm air holding on, over our Region, especially in the East with Max.Temps of around 28c, for the London area. 

Chris then stated that Wednesday will probably be the last of the hot days, for our Region with Max.Temps., easing down to around 22c, for the London area by Thursday.

Chris ended his Forecast by suggesting that the Weather will turn cooler and more unsettled, as we go towards the end of the Week. But he stated there is still a little uncertainty in the Forecast Models, regarding the likely Weather for Bank Holiday Monday.

Well, my calendar tells me that is tomorrow. Come on Models, "sort it out"!!   

That's my interpretation of MeteoGroup's extended Forecast, seen through the eyes of Chris Fawkes.

Have to say, had a really comfortable night's sleep last Night, our 2 Bedroom fans doing sterling work at dispersing the heat.

Despite having our Bedroom blinds and a curtain closed, it had still became uncomfortably warm in the Bedroom by early evening. But our "fellas" soon mixed that warm air out.

Hope you all have an enjoyable day in the sun.

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
16 hours ago, Freeze said:

Felt hot at 25.6c max and pure sunshine and humid, not pleasant  working in the kitchen, and a very clear sky rainbow just spotted ( or whatever they’re called) 

D54A304B-202D-4D0B-9BC0-544E51F67C82.jpeg

Circumzenithal arc, I believe! Brilliant capture mate!

Edited by LightningLover
  • Like 4

Posted

With the prospect of some "fireworks" for our Region later in the Week, thought I'd whet the appetite of those thunder starved Brontophiles, amongst you, with some t/storm related images, produced with the kind permission of local Meteorologist, Ian Currie. They are taken from Ian's Kent and Surrey Weather Books.

Only the one lightning photo, taken near Otford, Sevenoaks, evidently in June 1980:

image.thumb.png.cc4f95f614cd61ea1625a3e1a43ae664.png

Now an image of an event that this old man, remembers well. I was 13 when severe flooding struck the Bromley, S.E.London/N.W.Kent area, in September 1968. Those Members that know the Bromley area will recognise the location in the image below, the photo was taken opposite St.Marks Church, at the top of Westmoreland Road, where it leaves Bromley High Street and depicts the 119 bus route trying to make it's way from Bromley to Croydon (It was a bus I came to know very well and travelled on it for many years, taking it to my place of work, in East Croydon). Both the River Ravensbourne and it's Tributary, broke their banks and caused extensive flooding throughout the Bromley area.. I lived in the extreme North of the Bromley Borough at the time and the River Quaggy flowed from Sundridge Park Golf Course and on into our local Park, Chinbrook Meadows. As you enter the Park, the Quaggy had broke it's banks, in spectacular fashion and the flooding was up to the top of a lamppost (I kid you not). The flooding was caused by violent t/storms and general heavy, thundery rain around the 14th/15th September.

image.thumb.png.e8e90608afac150ef48d724192bd019d.png

I will post up a few more t/storm related images a little later, given with the kind permission of Ian Currie.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

It's a lovely sunny Sunday morning in Thurrock.  The temperate is 23°C along with humidity of 70%.  The barometric pressure is steady at 1018.3.

I have a tall sunflower that has a giant flower in my raised bed.  I did not plant it but the birds did when feeding on the black sunflower seeds that fell from the bird feeder.  I like how the shadows decrease as the sun's light spreads over the back garden.  There is hardly a cloud in the sky but my home weather station insists that it is going to rain.

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Out on this morning's walk and as promised this time with camera at the ready. And I was lucky enough to hit the jackpot with this great display of virga from cloud in the distance. And you can see why they are sometimes called "jellyfish" cloud - they look just like one.

1618395631_VirgaClouds.thumb.jpg.390aaef669eee638c8ff0e357a059f5c.jpg

The Met Office explanation:
"Simply put, virga are trails of precipitation that fall from the underside of a cloud but evaporate or sublime before it can reach the earth's surface. This happens when falling rain or ice passes through an area of dry or warm air.......  often happening in isolated locations on sometimes, the finest of days."

More info: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/weather/types-of-weather/clouds/other-clouds/virga

Hi Malcolm,

Saw some great examples of the "jellyfish" cloud when I worked in Croydon, Surrey, one day. The Weather was very similar to as it is at the moment, hot with humidity starting to increase.

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Relaxing in Beccles at the moment. Very little breeze which means it feels very steamy out there. Returning to Peterborough this afternoon, 28c at 11am, it is going to be a very hot there.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, yamkin said:

Current temps in Croydon, Greater London 34.2C

Temp now 35.2  

Posted

As promised, another few t/storm related images produced from the Kent and Surrey Weather Books with the kind permission of Author, Ian Currie.

This first image is of an event I remember, oh too well. Almost certainly the worst (from my Brontophobic perspective), daytime t/storm I've witnessed, the best if like many Members, you're a Brontophile. The photo was taken on the A217 at Lower Kingsdown, Surrey, at Midday (yes Midday). The caption to the photo reads, "When Day Became Night". I was working in Lordship Lane, East Dulwich. It was 6th August, 1981 and during the Morning and early Afternoon, three separate t/storms struck the London area, the last of which was the most severe and it became as dark, as in the picture below, the t/storm being preceded by an eerie silence for several minutes, before all "hell broke loose" with frequent lightning and huge peals of thunder. Myself and my first Wife were "house-minding" for friends of ours. The husband was a Groundsman at Alleyn's School, East Dulwich, S.E.London. As the t/storm ended, my Wife phoned me to tell me that the entire Cricket Square, was under feet of water.  

image.thumb.png.e1d6f9f0e211bfe5c539ed070781e874.pngi

And now a couple of images I think will be of interest, to our Kentish Members.

The first, showing the result of the severe flooding, after the great t/storm of 5th September, 1958. The photo was taken in Faraday Avenue, Sidcup.

image.thumb.png.b50240d66a37f92ad13f702712aba698.png

You're all wondering, "why has he posted up a snow photo?" This was actually the scene at Tunbridge Wells, on Bank Holiday Monday, August 1956, after a spectacular t/storm broke over the Town.The t/storm responsible began with the ppn as rain but soon turned into copious amounts of hail.

image.thumb.png.acd563f05091e30354a70066ed02b362.png

These photos are reproduced with the kind permission of Author, Ian Currie.

I will be phoning Ian Currie later, he has kindly agreed to sort out a copy of the Kent County Weather Book, for my Great Niece. She has done exceptionally well in her Geography "A" level mock exam, achieving A*. Makes my "O" level, look pretty pathetic!! I also found out a couple of weeks ago that she has become interested in Meteorology, so I thought that Mr. Currie's Book would be a nice reward, for her efforts and employing the old adage, "Strike while the iron is hot". Another Geography/Weather geek in the Family, takes the pressure off, Yours Truly.

As Mr. Currie was a Geography Master at Caterham School in a parallel life, I want to ask him where he thinks mine and Chris Fawkes', "Oxbow Lake" Cut Off Low, will end up tomorrow.

Regards,

Tom.    :hi: 

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 4

Posted

Sun continually hazy, being interrupted by strips of high-ish cloud acting like the sun’s a magnet... yet acres of blue sky surrounding it. Anyone know the meteorological reason for this?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
3 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Now an image of an event that this old man, remembers well. I was 13 when severe flooding struck the Bromley, S.E.London/N.W.Kent area, in September 1968. Those Members that know the Bromley area will recognise the location in the image below, the photo was taken opposite St.Marks Church, at the top of Westmoreland Road, where it leaves Bromley High Street and depicts the 119 bus route trying to make it's way from Bromley to Croydon (It was a bus I came to know very well and travelled on it for many years, taking it to my place of work, in East Croydon). Both the River Ravensbourne and it's Tributary, broke their banks and caused extensive flooding throughout the Bromley area.. I lived in the extreme North of the Bromley Borough at the time and the River Quaggy flowed from Sundridge Park Golf Course and on into our local Park, Chinbrook Meadows. As you enter the Park, the Quaggy had broke it's banks, in spectacular fashion and the flooding was up to the top of a lamppost (I kid you not). The flooding was caused by violent t/storms and general heavy, thundery rain around the 14th/15th September.

image.thumb.png.e8e90608afac150ef48d724192bd019d.png

https://runner500.wordpress.com/2018/09/13/the-1968-lewisham-floods/     https://www.waterbriefing.org/home/water-issues/item/2321-forty-years-on-from-the-floods-of-1968?tmpl=component&print=1

https://www.bromley.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/3131/strategic_flood_risk_assessment_appendix_e.pdf 

• Like 3

Posted

Not enjoying it to be honest, hot and over-crowded everywhere, too hot in the flat, too hot  to work at the allotment, so have given up just lay on the sofa with the fan on...boring. A nice, sunny 24.c would have been much more useable at this time of year.

Oh and a stupid amount of people walking their dogs on tarmac in this heat.

• Like 6

Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

The outside temperature is 27.9°C at 16:17 and the pressure has lowered slightly from 1018 to 1017.9 and the humidity has decreased from 70% to 49%.