Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Great to see summery weather and warmth returning the region and amazingly, just in time for the BH weekend. I’m sure holidaymakers and associated businesses will be happy, after a lacklustre and often wet month, so far. Nothing too extreme forecast, temperature-wise, so shouldn’t feel too bad.

Think we had  a good August Bank Holiday last year...often wet? up north and in some central parts maybe...first 9 days here how no measurable rainfall and the last few days have had next to nothing, garden is very dry and nothing growing and lawn browning up. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
1 hour ago, Despicable Weather said:

Travelling to the NW at moment, woke to clear blue skies and temps approaching 20c.

Well that's now a distant memory as small white fluffy clouds in London have grown larger and larger and greyer and greyer until the blanket of doom is blocking out any hope of sunshine while passing Northampton with constant rain being reported in the NW reg.thread! What joy eh

Yes can relate to that setting of shortly for Keswick Cumbria where it’s raining !! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Think we had  a good August Bank Holiday last year...often wet? up north and in some central parts maybe...first 9 days here how no measurable rainfall and the last few days have had next to nothing, garden is very dry and nothing growing and lawn browning up. 

We did indeed have a very nice BH weekend last August, which was very enjoyable. Followed a pretty unremarkable month, but the previous 3 months to that were fantastic (if you’re not in the welly brigade).

Plenty of rain in W London in recent weeks, everything looking very green and lush. Your part of the region has certainly appeared to have received a lot less. That is not unusual, the E is usually driest.

Anyway, enjoy the nice weather ??

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

We did indeed have a very nice BH weekend last August, which was very enjoyable. Followed a pretty unremarkable month, but the previous 3 months to that were fantastic (if you’re not in the welly brigade).

Plenty of rain in W London in recent weeks, everything looking very green and lush. Your part of the region has certainly appeared to have received a lot less. That is not unusual, the E is usually driest.

Anyway, enjoy the nice weather ??

August 2018 actually started very warm, I think it was Blessed Weather who showed me the max temps in the country for the opening week or so and they were all high 20's and into the 30's, but thereafter up until near months end got progressively cooler and unsettled.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

Up early with my Wife for breakfast and to see her off, to her early Morning shift.

Now relaxing with a cuppa and a recording of MeteoGroup's , Weather for the Week ahead with Chris Fawkes.

Chris started his Forecast by stating, as expected, it's going to get hotter over the next few days.

Friday, sees High Pressure pulling away to the East of our Region and it will start to feel warmer. Dry, with long sunny spells will see Max.Temps. for the London area, climbing to around 28c

Hotter still for the Weekend, with that High Pressure to our East, a S.E. flow setting up over our Region, wafting that very warm/hot air our way off the Continent. Max.Temps. for the London area rising still, to around 30c. A very similar Day on Sunday, dry with long sunny spells for our Region and a Max. Temp. again of around 30c, for the London area.

Chris then stated it would be nice if he could stop the Forecast there and a caption read, "MONDAY, Forecast becomes uncertain. Here's why". 

The behaviour of the Jet Stream, is the cause of the uncertainty.

A trough will be moving South, to the West of the U.K.

I was very impressed with the great detail Chris went into explaining the thinking ahead for the Forecast, during Monday/Tuesday.  The Jet Stream will slow and meander, very much as a River does when an Oxbow Lake is formed (a body of water, cut off from a River.) The same occurs high up in the Atmosphere, when a Cut Off Low is formed. When this happens it changes the winds in the Atmosphere, by 180 degrees. This will have huge implications for our Weather, depending on where this Atmospheric "Oxbow Lake", forms? 

Some Models are showing this Cut Off Low forming over 1. Spain some show it forming over,2. Southern England. That's a difference of around a 1,000 Miles!!

Scenario 1., will see our Region remain hot, during Monday/Tuesday. Scenario 2,, could see some "big" t/storms moving up from France , possibly to affect our Region. 

Chris then went on to state, ultimately the Weather will change and it will become more unsettled but the details of this thundery breakdown and how hot it will get on Monday/Tuesday, remain uncertain. More significantly, are the details in the timing of this change to cooler and more unsettled Weather.

That's my interpretation of the extended Forecast for our Region, according to MeteoGroup and seen through the eyes of Chris Fawkes.

Still a lot to be decided then, about the way forward Weather-wise, after the Weekend. Stay tuned!!

Regards,

Tom.   :hi: :cc_confused:

P.S., Evidently if we "hit" 30c on Monday, it will be a record for the Late Summer Bank Holiday!!

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 5

Posted

Find this a sad time of the year. The nights drawing in is really noticeable. The losing of daylight means the changing of seasons are upon us but... i will say it means my most exciting time is here. Love the autumn and winter months but also love the summer. Will be happy to have a proper indian summer until 1st nov then get progressively colder.... lovely. Not much to ask 

• Like 3

Posted

Quite remarkable that I haven't had to water the allotment that much throughout August. I do miss having the option of popping to the allotment before or after tea though,  no point going up at 8pm now  as the light is already fading. That makes me feel quite sad!

Still..my crown prince squashes are almost ready, that's the start of late summer to me.

It's a lovely day here, look at this beautiful cross-hatch cloud! (does it have a name?)

The humidity in my flat is awful at the best of times but it's 70% today even with the sun out and the windows open. Is that normal?? I'm sure it's related to  an issue me and my partner have with dehydration headaches. The moment it gets past mid-August, I can smell a feint smell of mildrew indoors in the mornings. 

IMG_1885 (2).JPG

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
1 hour ago, Team Squirrel said:

Quite remarkable that I haven't had to water the allotment that much throughout August. I do miss having the option of popping to the allotment before or after tea though,  no point going up at 8pm now  as the light is already fading. That makes me feel quite sad!

Still..my crown prince squashes are almost ready, that's the start of late summer to me.

It's a lovely day here, look at this beautiful cross-hatch cloud! (does it have a name?)

The humidity in my flat is awful at the best of times but it's 70% today even with the sun out and the windows open. Is that normal?? I'm sure it's related to  an issue me and my partner have with dehydration headaches. The moment it gets past mid-August, I can smell a feint smell of mildrew indoors in the mornings. 

IMG_1885 (2).JPG

I believe that cloud is Cirrus, a potential indicator of a weather change on the way! Good spot! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
2 hours ago, Team Squirrel said:

(SNIPPED)

IMG_1885 (2).JPG

Great photo TS and an unusual cirrus pattern. The only reference I can find from a quick look around is an article on The Country Scientist US website showing a photo of a very similar pattern captured over the Texas Plains. The explanation said it was cirrus forming at two different altitudes with the winds at the two altitudes blowing in different directions.

Cracking day here and currently 24.4C at 13.00, so beating yesterday's late afternoon high of 24C. Sunday looks a very sultry day with much of the Region around 30C according to Arpege. 

Clear skies today: 1691983963_Satellite23Aug12_40.thumb.jpg.1f8e504b646b9af14f86b6c7ee892e57.jpg  Temps Sunday: 26904128_ArpegeTempSun25Aug17_00.thumb.png.e5f72536a3820dbbab59332d98d37027.png

• Like 1

Posted
16 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

August 2018 actually started very warm, I think it was Blessed Weather who showed me the max temps in the country for the opening week or so and they were all high 20's and into the 30's, but thereafter up until near months end got progressively cooler and unsettled.

You're right FWTD. After weeks of lovely summer weather it unfortunately turned unsettled later into August 2018 and the Bank Holiday weekend 25th - 27th was disappointing, even getting this headline in the Telegraph:

Bank holiday weather: Britain braces for wet and windy weekend.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/24/bank-holiday-weather-britain-braces-wet-windy-weekend/

But looking back at the GFS archives the worst of the weather went through on Sunday and cleared through our Region by BH Monday giving not too bad a day and probably pleasant in the spells of sunshine. For the record:

BH Sunday Aug 2018 rainfall: 1869214621_GFSAugBHSun2018rain.thumb.png.12cdda458aa5b26884e8fa9feb3be306.png

BH Mon Synoptics: 104684115_GFSAugBHMon2018.thumb.png.66b807ad5216a8340b324783e4a04d9f.png Temps: 1498014637_GFSAugBHMon2018temps.thumb.png.e63b948606120b2d9e7cab2aab039a31.png

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

Great photo TS and an unusual cirrus pattern. The only reference I can find from a quick look around is an article on The Country Scientist US website showing a photo of a very similar pattern captured over the Texas Plains. The explanation said it was cirrus forming at two different altitudes with the winds at the two altitudes blowing in different directions.

Cracking day here and currently 24.4C at 13.00, so beating yesterday's late afternoon high of 24C. Sunday looks a very sultry day with much of the Region around 30C according to Arpege. 

Clear skies today: 1691983963_Satellite23Aug12_40.thumb.jpg.1f8e504b646b9af14f86b6c7ee892e57.jpg  Temps Sunday: 26904128_ArpegeTempSun25Aug17_00.thumb.png.e5f72536a3820dbbab59332d98d37027.png

Interesting Blessed Weather, thanks! Here's another picture a couple of minutes later. It formed a 'ridge' in the middle in the middle before dissipating. It was fascinating to watch.

IMG_1884.JPG

• Like 3

Posted

Thanks for that Blessed Weather, strangely I thought the BH Monday last August was quite good and warm. Maybe I was thinking of another year, according to weatheronline archives sunshine was at a minimum and max temperatures were no higher than 20c in the south east.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Lovely lovely day with almost unbroken sunshine. A high of 28c in parts of the fens this afternoon.

After a wobble, it looks like the weekend will be hot and sunny for all. In Gt Yarmouth for a couple of days, still mid-twenties forecast even close to the coast. Perfect.

Yes the first week of August was hot still, it actually turned during the second week, just when my son was born. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

Up early to have breakfast with my Wife, before seeing her off to start her 12 hour Day, at a Residential Care Home, in Chislehurst. Really feel for her today in this heat, as the Residents complain of feeling chilly if the windows are opened and fans turned on!! Some of the Residents are very advanced in years and no doubt circulation problems will cause them to feel cold, even in hot weather. Colette has taken a couple of small, handheld fans with her. They've proved to be very beneficial, this Summer.

Now relaxing with a cuppa and a recording of MeteoGroup's, Weather for the week ahead, again Chris Fawkes on duty.

Chris started his Forecast by stating, we are looking at a very warm weekend but with still a few "question marks" concerning, Bank Holiday Monday's Forecast.

But still, Saturday/Sunday looks to be hot for the London area and dry with long sunny spells, and a Max.Temp of around 30c, "warmer than it has been for a number of weeks"!! This hot air courtesy of a S.E. flow, from the Continent. Sunday will be very similar, hot with long sunny spells and a Max.Temp of around 30c, for the London area.

There's still some uncertainty regarding the Forecast for Bank Holiday Monday. Our "Oxbow Lake", Cut Off Low still causing a "headache", for Forecasters.

Models still disagreeing whether this feature will form over 1. Iberia or 2. Southern England., which will cause some "subtle changes with the Forecast, potentially for Monday".  It's possible we could see some showers develop over our Region but it should be mainly dry with long sunny spells. If scenario 1. should occur we could see some really high temperatures, perhaps 32c/33c somewhere in our Region. But at the moment MeteoGroup are suggesting Max.Temps in the upper 20c category more likely for the London area, on Bank Holiday Monday.

Thereafter, a trough will start to encroach into the UK and will ultimately bring a change to cooler, fresher conditions Still very warm, dry and sunny for our Region on Tuesday though, with a Max.Temp of around 28c for the London area.

By Wednesday, we could start to see some showery rain for our Region with a lowering Temperature regime with a Max.Temp. around this time of 26c for the London area.

Chris finished his Forecast by stating that after a hot weekend we will start to see some changes with weather conditions, for our Region. Some rain or showers eventually moving in with Temperatures easing back, closer to normal. But Chris emphasised that the exact timing of this change, remains uncertain and that there could still be some changes regarding the Forecast for Bank Holiday Monday, as well.

That's my interpretation of MeteoGroup's extended Forecast for our Region, seen through the eyes of Chris Fawkes.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:     

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

with Temperatures easing back, closer to normal.

How many times have we heard this over the last few years, particularly in Summer and Autumn...thanks for the update Tom.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Visiting from the SW thread.. in UB9 for the rest of the day, it’s hazy but still very warm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
On 21/08/2019 at 23:09, Badgers01 said:

Lovely late summer evening 

3001C2A8-4549-4AE7-AB41-E82F27959E47.jpeg

ECCF07FC-B6F3-4573-BBDF-3A548A2A0458.jpeg

Great pictures!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Our friends surprised us with a trip to the London Eye yesterday evening, and then we were off for a few drinks! Glorious evening then we were back to Denham.

70FCC5BB-2F78-40C5-B92D-D4A0897AB7B6.thumb.jpeg.ccdfed226dc96ea66095fd4970404910.jpeg

F15B6B97-CE6B-4EFC-A107-EEC7109AE008.thumb.jpeg.85fd7a9f4b5bd1cfad93fb89e5b62460.jpeg

4ED7768C-A112-4F19-B229-147B3AC35AD9.thumb.jpeg.5b65d94f8edb035c3cb50e5822a73c69.jpeg

62EE6AA2-C8CD-41EB-B24E-36388B5F6244.thumb.jpeg.c191696770303d23ec7a22a06843f9b5.jpeg

Edited by CheesepuffScott
  • Like 7

Posted
2 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

Great pictures!

thank you ! helped by the lovely soft golden light !

Posted
1 hour ago, CheesepuffScott said:

Our friends surprised us with a trip to the London Eye yesterday evening, and then we were off for a few drinks! Glorious evening then we were back to Denham.

oh is that Denham in Bucks such a lovely village 

Posted
46 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

oh is that Denham in Bucks such a lovely village 

yes! A contrast to the bustle of Central London. Will have to come again soon, we are heading back home to Wilts later.

Edited by CheesepuffScott

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Felt hot at 25.6c max and pure sunshine and humid, not pleasant  working in the kitchen, and a very clear sky rainbow just spotted ( or whatever they’re called) 

D54A304B-202D-4D0B-9BC0-544E51F67C82.jpeg

Edited by Freeze
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Freeze said:

Felt hot at 25.6c max and pure sunshine and humid, not pleasant  working in the kitchen, and a very clear sky rainbow just spotted ( or whatever they’re called) 

D54A304B-202D-4D0B-9BC0-544E51F67C82.jpeg

Great photo Freeze. Yes it's a rainbow and called a 'high cirrus rainbow'. The skies are really giving us some great displays this last couple of days. Some lovely cirrus here today but dopey me didn't think to photo them. I'll try harder the next couple of days. There might be some lovely sunsets around tonight with the thin cloud cover over the Region.

Anyway, a max temp of 28.4C here today. I wonder what maximums we'll see over the next 2 days?

• Like 7