Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Yes they do, quite readily recommended by GP's as the only Vitamin tablet that does any good...but go for quality.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Some nice jellyfish clouds above me.

IMG_6248[1].JPG

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Do the vitamin D tablets work well? Have a mate who has been living in Oslo for 10 years now and he mentioned them to me the other week, as Norway winters are so long and lacking in daylight. Think I’ll give them a go 

Yes. I was ill and got my vit D checked. It was very low. I now take one tablet once a week (20,000 iu) and my vit D levels within 3 months we’re back to normal and I feel much better. I get them online. Much cheaper. Also try vit B complex. It’s greatly helped with mood and overall feeling of wellness too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 minute ago, CanadianCoops said:

Yes. I was ill and got my vit D checked. It was very low. I now take one tablet once a week (20,000 iu) and my vit D levels within 3 months we’re back to normal and I feel much better. I get them online. Much cheaper. Also try vit B complex. It’s greatly helped with mood and overall feeling of wellness too.

Thank you for that, is vitamin D needed only once a week? B complex is great, only take it intermittently but it certainly helps with energy levels. Suffer a bit from SAD so anything that helps is appreciated 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Quiet in here today .... pretty poor conditions across the region think will be one of those nights when you really notice the nights are drawing in ...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

A couple of hours ago, I spoke to local Meteorologist, Ian Currie. I havn't spoke to Mr.Currie since about, late January.

Ian is of the opinion, as Forecast Models are suggesting, that after this rather Autumnal spell of weather has passed, the weather will settle down and high pressure will build in. He believes this weather type could last into September, with some very warm weather, even hot at times, for this stage of the Year. 

We both spoke about the lack of thunder days, in our Region. Commenting on relatively High Pressure in the Biscay area, forcing likely French imported t/storms further east, resulting in the dreaded E.Sussex/Kent "Clipper" variety, the bane of thunder lovers, located elsewhere in our Region. 

As I commented a few weeks ago, regarding the likelihood of French imported t/storms reaching the London area. I've noticed in recent Years that these thundery "plumes" seem to arrive with steering winds flowing from SSW > NNE. When t/storms initiate east of the Cherbourg Peninsula with steering winds from a SSW point, these storms are likely to affect just the extreme S.E., of our Region (E.Sussex/Kent).

The type of thundery outbreaks drifting North from France, affecting the London area were more common back in the 1960's/70's. It was one such outbreak in June 1966, that began my fear of lightning/thunder. Almost certainly an MCS, the t/storm beginning around Midnight and still rumbling away, at 6 AM!!

For whatever reason, the dynamics of these thundery breakdowns seem to have changed. Ian Currie agrees with the sentiment, as last Summer proved "heat doesn't necessarily equate to thunder". It can be as "hot as hell" but without a triggering mechanism, thunder will struggle to occur.

Regards,

Tom.    :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 9

Posted

See BBC has storm symbols on for between 11 and 2am tonight. No actual weather warning which is just as well.  The last two proved fruitless

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all,

Up early to have breakfast with my Wife, before she started an early Morning shift at the Chislehurst Residential Care Home, where she works.

Having posted local Meteorologist, Ian Currie's views on the next few Weeks weather last night and viewed a recording of MeteoGroup's Weather For The Week Ahead (This Morning with the relatively new face of Mel Coles), it now seems that talk of a prolonged settled, warm spell, may have been a little premature.

Ms Coles alluded to this, at the start of her Broadcast. She suggested that Forecast Models want to continue with the Jet Stream, albeit weakened somewhat, coming across the Atlantic and making a "beeline", for the UK. 

Today looks mainly dry for our Region (just a few showers possible), Max Temps around 21/22c but still fairly blustery. Overnight a waving Front, at the base of a trough, from the Low Pressure close to NW Scotland, could bring a spell of rain,to our Region. But this should soon clear away, southeastwards, during the early hours of Sunday Morning.

Sunday should be mainly dry with the outside chance of a shower, Max Tems for our Region around 21c. 

Monday looks like being a very similar Day to Sunday, for our Region. Max.Temps of around 21c for the Region, which should feel more pleasant than the Weekend, as the wind will be lighter.

On Tuesday, High Pressure to our S.W. should start to have more influence, which should "kill off" the shower threat and with lighter winds, a Max.Temp of 21c, should feel very pleasant. 

Further into next Week and this is where, according to MeteoGroup, the Forecast has changed. Rather than a rather weak Jet Stream going North of the U.K., it now appears that it will dig further south, over the UK.

It now looks as if Low Pressure, anchored to the N.W. of the U.K., will have more influence on our Weather, than originally thought. If this scenario should come to pass, it is likely to be cooler, breezier and wetter, than originally thought.

There is still a chance that High Pressure to our S.W. will try and build in to settle the Weather down and warm things up, over the southern half of the U.K. But Ms Coles ended her extended Forecast by stating that the second scenario is now the less likely of the two, as we head towards the Bank Holiday Weekend.

That's my interpretation of MeteoGroup's extended Forecast for our Region seen through the eyes of Mel Coles.

Regards,

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
16 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

A couple of hours ago, I spoke to local Meteorologist, Ian Currie. I havn't spoke to Mr.Currie since about, late January.

Ian is of the opinion, as Forecast Models are suggesting, that after this rather Autumnal spell of weather has passed, the weather will settle down and high pressure will build in. He believes this weather type could last into September, with some very warm weather, even hot at times, for this stage of the Year. 

We both spoke about the lack of thunder days, in our Region. Commenting on relatively High Pressure in the Biscay area, forcing likely French imported t/storms further east, resulting in the dreaded E.Sussex/Kent "Clipper" variety, the bane of thunder lovers, located elsewhere in our Region. 

As I commented a few weeks ago, regarding the likelihood of French imported t/storms reaching the London area. I've noticed in recent Years that these thundery "plumes" seem to arrive with steering winds flowing from SSW > NNE. When t/storms initiate east of the Cherbourg Peninsula with steering winds from a SSW point, these storms are likely to affect just the extreme S.E., of our Region (E.Sussex/Kent).

The type of thundery outbreaks drifting North from France, affecting the London area were more common back in the 1960's/70's. It was one such outbreak in June 1966, that began my fear of lightning/thunder. Almost certainly an MCS, the t/storm beginning around Midnight and still rumbling away, at 6 AM!!

For whatever reason, the dynamics of these thundery breakdowns seem to have changed. Ian Currie agrees with the sentiment, as last Summer proved "heat doesn't necessarily equate to thunder". It can be as "hot as hell" but without a triggering mechanism, thunder will struggle to occur.

Regards,

Sort of backs up a few members thoughts of a week ago about the weather becoming generally more settled and warm/very warm once again...a little in the balance as per your second post but the general theme is there.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Hi all , I have a question I’m flying to Turkey near  Antalya soon, I’m not confident on the apps that there are , is there a decent site that I can visit that can give me 1 , an accurate recording of previous day  and 2. A decent forecast , I feel the temperature might be being underplayed .

Thanks Mark

Posted
4 hours ago, Surrey said:

Some models bring that rain a touch further north than others so maybe another dumping of rain for some.. 

Time to get some much needed perspective Surrey in London area there has only been one day this year with 20mm or over, its been a dry year, certainly this summer not comparable at all to last, but dry theme has lingered through those up north understandable frustration with rain. Some rain here and there is normal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Mmm , wasn’t this rain supposed to be cleared by now , looks like a delayed start to the Cricket is quite possible .

95E6331E-B16C-417A-ABAC-513470DBF997.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

I just got soaked walking to Hove Cricket Ground... It started off as drizzle (almost stratiform), but quickly became heavy; It even became borderline torrential at one stage! It was as if the Shower specifically waited for us to get off the train. It is rapidly brightening up from the W now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Had rain for last 45 minutes. Really annoyed as I looked at the forecast this morning and presenter stated isolated showers in the southeast. As it was sunny and we have guests coming for lunch I thought I would be ahead of the game and have everything ready for the BBQ which I was intending to start up just after midday. Got all chairs and tables out from the shed and then it started to rain. I will have to BBQ under umbrella and everyone eating indoors including a very active 2 year old who would not be out of place on a demolition site.

Hopefully the rain clears soon

@markwheeler  if you are reading this have a good holiday.

Kind regards

Dave (AKA Desperate of Chelmsford)

• Like 1

Posted

The weather forecast on bbc at 2am this morning made no mention of the heavy rain pushing across the region !! 

Posted

Evening all,

My Wife is cooking an Italian dish, associated with the Naples area, in honour of my Mother, who was born around 30 miles, north of Naples. She was a true Neapolitan, through and through.

image.thumb.png.51597c4c12b9dfbe73a1b486ec09f5f7.png

The dish my Wife is cooking is called Carne Pizzaiola. Which literally means, meat cooked in the style of a Pizza maker. It was one of my Mother's favourite dishes, to cook.

We're having a meal in her honour, as it was this time 15 Years ago that we laid her body to rest, just south of Bromley, N.W.Kent.

The smell emanating from our Kitchen is amazing. Pizzaiola can be cooked with any meat, or even fish. The ingredients include, tomatoes/passata, garlic, oregano and plenty of extra virgin olive oil. You can also add, black/green olives and a little anchovy and red pepper flakes, to give it a little kick. Neapolitans, would normally have a pasta starter but our carbohydrate will be some Parmentier potatoes (cubed potato, roasted in a garlic/herb mixture).

My Mother was very peasant-like in her attitude and would often forego the meat and be satisfied to Fare la Scarpetta, which literally means, "to make a little shoe". She would be satisfied to take pieces of French/Garlic bread and mop up the juices, left in the pan. We've got the best of both worlds tonight.

I have tasted the Salsa (sauce) already and it's right "up there", with anything I've tasted, including all of my Italian Relatives. I'm sure my Mother would have approved and it's certainly a fitting tribute, to her memory. Can't wait to tuck into it. It's almost ready now. Have a "virtual" taste:

image.thumb.png.cde4f26bbb8a570051f4ba59494ce80b.png

Buon Appetito!!

It's a shame the Weather hasn't been very Neapolitan, though!!

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:  :gathering:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 5

Posted

Another sharp period of rain earlier this picture just about sums up Sunday’s weather here in the   Surrey burbs - the high banks of the river Mole looking North towards Weybridge & St George’s hill

30C817D8-BADD-4D6D-AFB0-89417FDD2F3E.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted

Up early, to take my all important B.P. medication Fortunately, a much more comfortable night's sleep was had.

Still required one of our Bedroom fans on though as having our oven on was a necessary "evil", as a consequence of my Wife's delicious Italian meal, yesterday evening. Our Bedroom sits right above our Kitchen and the heat that's risen, just doesn't disperse quickly.

Have just viewed my recording of MeteoGroup's, Weather for the Week ahead (Phil Avery on shift).

Phil's headline caption read, "Occasional showers, turning warmer".

Today, will likely to see a few showers for our Region with a Max.Temp. of around 21c, for the London area. Tonight dry, with a low of 11c. Tomorrow sees High Pressure trying to build in, which should mean a dry day for our Region, with a Max.Temp. of 21c, for the London area. Wednesday sees High Pressure holding on over our Region, Max.Temps up a notch to 23c,for the London area and remaining dry. Come Thursday, High Pressure still holding sway over our Region, so it should stay dry with a Max.Temp again of 23c,for the London area.

By the end of the Week and on into the Weekend, the High Pressure looks to move East and with a resultant Continental sourced flow, we could tap into some warmer air. A Temp of 25c on Friday and 27c on Saturday, could be the Max. attained, for the London area. But Phil went on to state that this warmer spell may only be temporary, as by Sunday the Jet Stream looks to dip South over the U.K., with attendant Cold Front moving S.E across the U.K.  with that warmer air, draining back into the Continent.

But Phil ended his Forecast by stating that the Jet Stream looks to move North again and an area of High Pressure could well build N.E., from the Azores. Should that happen, Max,Temps. could reach around 25c, early next Week, for the London area. 

That's my interpretation of the extended Forecast for our Region, seen through the eyes of  MeteoGroup's Phil Avery.

So, some very "usable" Weather, hopefully on the way and a chance for us to get our back garden a much needed tidy up!!

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:  

• Like 4

Posted
On 15/08/2019 at 21:40, stainesbloke said:

Thank you for that, is vitamin D needed only once a week? B complex is great, only take it intermittently but it certainly helps with energy levels. Suffer a bit from SAD so anything that helps is appreciated 

Apparantly in high doses its enough. Some people take a lower dose daily - but it worked for me once a week. My mood picked up with vit D and B so fingers crosed

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

We have been stuck under a rather persistent convective shower train today, spanning back a few hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

Showers just to the North and South and then forming literally minutes after passing here, unbelievable so yet again the radar is peppered with downpours in this area and yet we dodge them all.  How is that possible? ?‍♂️