Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Quite a few new strikes happening in the north of France. Hopefully they develop although I have the sneaking feeling that they may drift too far east again.

Maybe not over yet, will watch closely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Unbelievable heat and humidity, almost midnight, sleep isn't happening tonight, looked on radar, nice development over Nantes, im still hopeful of something overnight, early morning, and maybe a touch cooler

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Unbelievable heat and humidity, almost midnight, sleep isn't happening tonight, looked on radar, nice development over Nantes, im still hopeful of something overnight, early morning, and maybe a touch cooler

Posted

Not looking forward putting my sleep apnea mask on in a minute 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

It's gone bang here out of nowhere got it all!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Who's ready for a relatively verbose story/summary of my events today? If not, then too bloomin' bad; It's coming anyway!

So at around 17:45, I arrived upon Bexhill Beach. As expected, it was packed. And I mean packed. I had an unobstructed view of the English Channel, and at this time, the sky over the sea was tinged grey. I sat down for a while, checking up on this forum, commenting on how it was to passers by, etc. By around 18:10, I heard the first deep. elevated growl of thunder. By this point, the sky was becoming increasingly dark, and the storm cells had just about up-scaled into an MCS, midway in the channel. The thunder I was hearing came from a nearby cell, initiated by the outflow boundary. At this point, I was becoming ever more excited. Skip forward to ~20 minutes later, and I had just seen my first CG: An orange, faint, split second flash way of to the South. I frantically reported this to the forum. And so... It began.

another 15 minutes passed, with a couple of faint IC flashes, when I saw my First CC bolt. Again, I reported this hastily to the forum, along with a photograph of the Anvil. and fallstreak/virga in the distance. It was quickly becoming apparent to me that this storm system was expanding rapidly. It gets darker... and darker... and darker. I was moving to another spot along the beach, when all of a sudden. a breeze picked up; 'Ah, this must be the gust front!' I thought. Oh, how flippin' wrong I was!

5 minutes later, all hell broke loose (a very specific form of hell in which wind is the dominant chaos causer) A warm. hairdryer gale ripped across the seafront, with gusts surely in excess of 60 mph. It was by far the strongest wind caused by convection that I have ever had the pleasure to witness. The sea went from being calm and blue, to a slate grey,crashing mess. The waves became very choppy! And whats even more incredible about this, is the fact that you could actually see the wind approaching, with the sea initially being choppy & grey on the horizon. At first, I just thought it was a standard MCS fust front, but then, I realized something: 'hmm this wind is rather warm, and is so dry it's burning my eyes and throat...', I pondered to myself, then it hit me: For the first ever time in my life, I was seeing the phenomenon known as a 'heat burst'. Even now, I feel truly privileged to have been able to experience such a breathtaking (figuratively and literally) event!

Now, once the wind stopped, I got a view of the true hidden beauty of this particular MCS. As I dared to look above me, fearing I'd get dust in my eyes, I saw the most incredible, well defined structure I believe I have ever seen on any from of convection; This description may not do it justice, but here it goes: A huge, sprawling anvil was present, a golden, grey colour, taking up the entire sky. It was speckled with undulating, almost perfectly rotund Mammatus. As well as this, there was an absolutely textbook. tremendous mesocyclonic form of structure above me, marked by stacking shelve-like arcus, along with a messy mixture of grey cloud. It had this rather captivating comma shape to it, too. All of this was so incredibly tremendous, that the moment no longer felt real.

Lightning, albeit rather infrequent (presumably due to the fact that it was elevated, and during the day). was still flashing away in spectacular fashion at this point, with various CGs and CC strikes occurring. So, out of a strange nervousness stemming from the unlikely possibility of getting struck, I seek shelter. It was then, then... the insane rainfall kicked in.

It came in absolutely gargantuan size raindrops. splatting against the ground with considerable force, and came in thick, tropical-style sheets. I stepped out into it, expecting to feel cold and regret my decision, but... It was WARM! this struck me as so bizarre. so this deluge trundled on for a good 15 minutes, before briefly ceasing long enough to catch my breath. then, something else rather strange happened: An extremely warm inflow occurred. It was actually warmer than the air surrounding it, which still makes very little sense to me.

shortly after this, the storm, after producing another 2 minute deluge, begins to depart, but not without giving us a slow, in the form of my favourite kind of lightning: Anvil crawlers! As the back edge of the immense blue-purple mass of anvil guff sailed overhead, I witnessed some truly spectacular anvil crawlers, that, in some cases, seemingly stemmed from the Channel, and spider-webbed up into the system itself. Truly amazing, it was, to say the absolute least. At this point, all my breath had been promptly snatched from my lungs.

This took me a long time to type, but it was certainly worth it, as I believe it is an adequate description of the amazing MCS that I had the honor to witness today, And I always enjoy sharing my thoughts and experiences with other members. Just as A side note, I would like to say a huge thank you to all the kind strangers who are willing to chat with me about the storms! Not only did I get to meet a fellow Photographer and weather enthusiast (Not from this forum though- I did ask), along with some nice people who were also amazed by what they were witnessing.

This has been a truly exceptional spell of weather. I am so, so happy to have been able to share the roller coaster ride with everyone on here. It was been one heck of a journey indeed, one of copious amounts of sweat,among other things. I truly value everyone's knowledge on here, and iv;e learnt so much since I joined, and, consequently, it has helped me understand the technicality and mechanics behind this particular plume.

Now, enough rambling from me; It;s a bit warm outside, innit?   

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
7 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

Who's ready for a relatively verbose story/summary of my events today? If not, then too bloomin' bad; It's coming anyway!

So at around 17:45, I arrived upon Bexhill Beach. As expected, it was packed. And I mean packed. I had an unobstructed view of the English Channel, and at this time, the sky over the sea was tinged grey. I sat down for a while, checking up on this forum, commenting on how it was to passers by, etc. By around 18:10, I heard the first deep. elevated growl of thunder. By this point, the sky was becoming increasingly dark, and the storm cells had just about up-scaled into an MCS, midway in the channel. The thunder I was hearing came from a nearby cell, initiated by the outflow boundary. At this point, I was becoming ever more excited. Skip forward to ~20 minutes later, and I had just seen my first CG: An orange, faint, split second flash way of to the South. I frantically reported this to the forum. And so... It began.

another 15 minutes passed, with a couple of faint IC flashes, when I saw my First CC bolt. Again, I reported this hastily to the forum, along with a photograph of the Anvil. and fallstreak/virga in the distance. It was quickly becoming apparent to me that this storm system was expanding rapidly. It gets darker... and darker... and darker. I was moving to another spot along the beach, when all of a sudden. a breeze picked up; 'Ah, this must be the gust front!' I thought. Oh, how flippin' wrong I was!

5 minutes later, all hell broke loose (a very specific form of hell in which wind is the dominant chaos causer) A warm. hairdryer gale ripped across the seafront, with gusts surely in excess of 60 mph. It was by far the strongest wind caused by convection that I have ever had the pleasure to witness. The sea went from being calm and blue, to a slate grey,crashing mess. The waves became very choppy! And whats even more incredible about this, is the fact that you could actually see the wind approaching, with the sea initially being choppy & grey on the horizon. At first, I just thought it was a standard MCS fust front, but then, I realized something: 'hmm this wind is rather warm, and is so dry it's burning my eyes and throat...', I pondered to myself, then it hit me: For the first ever time in my life, I was seeing the phenomenon known as a 'heat burst'. Even now, I feel truly privileged to have been able to experience such a breathtaking (figuratively and literally) event!

Now, once the wind stopped, I got a view of the true hidden beauty of this particular MCS. As I dared to look above me, fearing I'd get dust in my eyes, I saw the most incredible, well defined structure I believe I have ever seen on any from of convection; This description may not do it justice, but here it goes: A huge, sprawling anvil was present, a golden, grey colour, taking up the entire sky. It was speckled with undulating, almost perfectly rotund Mammatus. As well as this, there was an absolutely textbook. tremendous mesocyclonic form of structure above me, marked by stacking shelve-like arcus, along with a messy mixture of grey cloud. It had this rather captivating comma shape to it, too. All of this was so incredibly tremendous, that the moment no longer felt real.

Lightning, albeit rather infrequent (presumably due to the fact that it was elevated, and during the day). was still flashing away in spectacular fashion at this point, with various CGs and CC strikes occurring. So, out of a strange nervousness stemming from the unlikely possibility of getting struck, I seek shelter. It was then, then... the insane rainfall kicked in.

It came in absolutely gargantuan size raindrops. splatting against the ground with considerable force, and came in thick, tropical-style sheets. I stepped out into it, expecting to feel cold and regret my decision, but... It was WARM! this struck me as so bizarre. so this deluge trundled on for a good 15 minutes, before briefly ceasing long enough to catch my breath. then, something else rather strange happened: An extremely warm inflow occurred. It was actually warmer than the air surrounding it, which still makes very little sense to me.

shortly after this, the storm, after producing another 2 minute deluge, begins to depart, but not without giving us a slow, in the form of my favourite kind of lightning: Anvil crawlers! As the back edge of the immense blue-purple mass of anvil guff sailed overhead, I witnessed some truly spectacular anvil crawlers, that, in some cases, seemingly stemmed from the Channel, and spider-webbed up into the system itself. Truly amazing, it was, to say the absolute least. At this point, all my breath had been promptly snatched from my lungs.

This took me a long time to type, but it was certainly worth it, as I believe it is an adequate description of the amazing MCS that I had the honor to witness today, And I always enjoy sharing my thoughts and experiences with other members. Just as A side note, I would like to say a huge thank you to all the kind strangers who are willing to chat with me about the storms! Not only did I get to meet a fellow Photographer and weather enthusiast (Not from this forum though- I did ask), along with some nice people who were also amazed by what they were witnessing.

This has been a truly exceptional spell of weather. I am so, so happy to have been able to share the roller coaster ride with everyone on here. It was been one heck of a journey indeed, one of copious amounts of sweat,among other things. I truly value everyone's knowledge on here, and iv;e learnt so much since I joined, and, consequently, it has helped me understand the technicality and mechanics behind this particular plume.

Fantastic, thanks for sharing.

It missed me and went east, but hoping we get another chance.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Will it snow ⛄️ tonight?

Please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!
35 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

I experienced the same at Normans bay. Truly incredible experience. Never in my life has anything come close to that.

Was sitting at the pub waiting for food to come when the most intense blast of HOT wind ripped across us sending umbrellas and glasses flying. Food arrived just as the rain started...people running for cover as the wind tossed everything everywhere! Lightening and distant thunder. Driving home found debris and branches all over the road. You put it so much better than I could btw, fantastic!

Once in a lifetime....

Edited by Darkcloud
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

My, admittedly tired old, weather station showing 27 in garden at 00:30 

I back onto open paddocks in village setting.   Bedrooms all west facing and currently showing 35+ C (house clearly designed by Sadistic Evil Fatherless Architect). The fan feels like a hair dryer on max setting as it hits the bed. 

Earlier video of torrential rain and thunderstorms in village just to the east of me sent by a friend; fantastic video of lightening and torrential rain in Norwich at 23:30 sent from son. Clear evidence of spiteful taunting. Dry as a bone here so have deleted them from Christmas card list. 

Can’t sleep in this oven. Will it snow tonight?

Edited by Soaring Hawk
Heat exhaustion
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Well that was fab! Annoying rain prevented my from bagging my prime spot and every time I moved on the rain caught up! Anyway well worth the drive out to Hemsby and Winterton, saw some stunning lightning which lit up the A47 like daylight. Just parked up and enjoyed the show tbh! Some minor damage around Waxham/Horsey with foliage and some branches strewn along about 2 miles of road. 

• Like 1

Posted

Well, tonight sucks! I cannot sleep, so checked the radar and there's a few things pepping up in the channel but not sure of they'll do the usual swerve or head towards us? 

I couldn't believe this. So the thunderstorms we had the other night.( I say "we", I mean every part of the Country apart from me! ) after being left out I was kinda hoping to see something. Decided on a last minute trip to the beach tonight. Upon hearing that some were crossing the channel I thought we may have a chance, but no. 

Anyhow, about an hour after leaving Epsom, I checked lightning maps, and could you believe it? Out of the whole of London and the home counties, Epsom had its own cell right above it. Couldn't make it up. ! I think the weather gods have it in for me... So again,I missed out! 

Edited by Daenerys

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Tonight's offerings - we have been spoilt after waiting for so long! 

S1.jpg

S2.jpg

S3.jpg

S4.jpg

S5.jpg

S6.jpg

S7.jpg

S8.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

Just got woken up by a beast of a thunder clap in Dorking. Never been so happy to feel some fresh air. Been lucky to have something down on the Isle of Wight and now up at home. This one isn’t quite the same though! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Nice little storm here in Gravesend right on cue as the Met office warning expired at 4am⚡⚡⚡ I think this must have passed the Cherbourg test lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Just had a passing storm to my West here in Boxley and now to my South West a decent one is approaching, can now feel a cooler welcoming breeze

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Can't sleep in furnace like conditions!

Some thunder and lightning starting to get going here.

Not fresher in SE London yet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Near constant thunder and flashes in all directions. 3rd round of storms

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well after a clear night the temperature is still 23c. There are stations still in the mid twenties as well.