Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

post deleted. No point. 

Edited by Dami

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
5 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Sounds like a proper haven for wildlife, how lovely and you’re very lucky. What do you think of the Tithonia? Grew lots last year and they were monsters lol  

We were given one by a friend on our road who'd been given several by another friend who is a serious gardener type, and we decided that we'd both grow some this year.  They're huge, but what I like is that they provide late summer interest and the flowers stand out even on an overcast day down the side of our bungalow up against the neighbour's fence which is untreated wood that's become drab grey since the current panels were installed a few years ago.  I've not grown any more than one before this year, though.  They like well-drained soil (which is a problem for us as we're on boulder clay), but they like watering in these hot, dry conditions.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 minute ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

We were given one by a friend on our road who'd been given several by another friend who is a serious gardener type.  They're huge, but what I like is that they provide late summer iterest and the flowers stand out even on an overcast day.  I've not grown any more than one before this year, though.  They like well-drained soil (which is a problem for us as we're on boulder clay), but they like watering in these hot, dry conditions.

They like this weather, coming from Mexico. Are yours orange? There’s a red and a yellow variation available, too. The bees and butterflies love them. Late flowering plants are vital, according to a bee keeping friend, as apparently there is always a lack in late summer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
55 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes!! Fantastic idea. We desperately need more trees in the UK, as one of the least forested countries in Europe. Planting flowers attractive to bees and other pollinators is another wonderful step to take.

I recently contacted my local council about this, I'd love to see our verges full of wildflowers. I passed this helpful site on to them https://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk

Edited by moogyboobles
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

33C now - surely this must be late for a daytime maximum?

32.6 here, Chris...a late max it is?

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

No, as in South Ockendon can reach 33°C at 7pm.

It is 16:22 and the temperature in the shade outside is 29.8°C.

In my back garden I have a mature ash tree and wild cherry trees as well as an unidentifiable deciduous tree.  I also have saplings: Rowan,  Holly, Wayfaring and a crab apple tree as well as a hazel shrub.

Edited by Katrine Basso
Add more data
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

They like this weather, coming from Mexico. Are yours orange? There’s a red and a yellow variation available, too. The bees and butterflies love them. Late flowering plants are vital, according to a bee keeping friend, as apparently there is always a lack in late summer

They are indeed bright orange - I don't like conventional sunflowers but enjoy the shading of these.  I'm going to try to convince the family to have them downthe path next year.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 minute ago, moogyboobles said:

I recently contacted by council about this, I'd love to see our verges full of wildflowers. I passed this helpful site on to them https://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk

Another fantastic idea  I think some councils in our region, such as Surrey, are not cutting verges from this year to encourage wild flowers. Should help the bee population out

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, moogyboobles said:

I recently contacted my local council about this, I'd love to see our verges full of wildflowers. I passed this helpful site on to them https://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk

They've stopped cutting some of them around here...Now, they're teaming with bees, butterflies, grasshoppers and stuff.:oldgrin:

• Like 6

Posted
37 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Our local MP is a smug, complacent Tory who uses an automated email system that informs you that, unless you provide the sort of contact details I would be uncomfortable sending via. email that he can't get in touch.  It's one of the safest seats in the country, and, while he was locally active in the first few years of his tenure, he seems to have become generally complacent and remote these days. .

Have certain sympathy concerning the wish to have some of your details so they know they are dealing with one of their constituents. 

I have contacted my MP (Conservative) on numerous occasions by email and included my name and address. Always get an automatic acknowledgement. So far always had a considered reply by letter. The last one a comprehensive response to my comments and suggestions. Interestingly had an enquiry concerning my health. Had mentioned in passing over a year ago I had prostate cancer. 

Edited by Snipper
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Snipper said:

Have certain sympathy concerning the wish to have some of your details so they know they are dealing with one of their constituents. 

I have contacted my MP (Conservative) on numerous occasions by email and included my name and address. Always get an automatic acknowledgement. So far always had a considered reply by letter. The last one a comprehensive response to my comments and suggestions. Interestingly had an enquiry concerning my health. Had mention over a year ago I had prostate cancer. 

Address and phone number ought to be enough, though.  Ours doesn't seem to give a toss, TBQH.

Posted
1 minute ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Address and phone number ought to be enough, though.  Ours doesn't seem to give a toss, TBQH.

Not quite sure what they asking for that you don’t want to disclose. Measurement  of your inside leg?

Edited by Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Current max of 32.2c on the Essex Riviera, sweating buckets as have walked a mile to the local cemetery and saw a buzzard on the way. As for this heat can't get the slightest interest in it and I work outside quite a lot of the time, will keep an interest for tomorrow if we break the UK temp record but no doubt in the years ahead there will be further opportunities and more extremes...

Chrisbell-nottheweatherman your main post on the the other page, very good post...strangely marked up by a certain someone being rather contradictory.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
1 hour ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Up to 32c here so pretty much matching yesterday, just the highest temperatures are in the Far East of the region compared to the Channel Islands yesterday. 

The trouble is that whilst record breaking temperatures like tomorrow are more likely, you are talking a less than 1% chance of it happening compared to a slightly lower value 100 years ago. You still need all of the parameters in your favour.

however consistent trends in rising global temperatures and the frequency where daily mean temperature records are broken throughout the year are the concern. I must admit I should do more, I have tried to install plant life into the garden mostly to tackle the falling bee population which is another crisis we face. 

Oddly as much as cutting emissions is one thing, perhaps sacrificing some of our land to plant trees and install more woodland in urban areas would go a long way as our problem is two fold by the fact we create more carbon dioxide whilst are removing the organisms that use it.

Oh that is so right, why wont governments, councils etc start planting more trees everywhere.

They use up carbon dioxide and stop flooding and thats just to start with, let alone protect and help nature.

• Like 6

Posted
14 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Chrisbell-nottheweatherman your main post on the the other page, very good post...strangely marked up by a certain someone being rather contradictory.

I am sure there is always several sides to every story. 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

Oh that is so right, why wont governments, councils etc start planting more trees everywhere.

They use up carbon dioxide and stop flooding and thats just to start with, let alone protect and help nature.

Yes. They also moderate and cool down local air masses, of there’s enough of them. Seem to be a lot of people in the UK that don’t like trees or want them anywhere near their homes.

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

They are indeed bright orange - I don't like conventional sunflowers but enjoy the shading of these.  I'm going to try to convince the family to have them downthe path next year.

That’ll definitely add a wow factor! Their neon orange can be seen from a fair way away. I’m surprised they’re not more widely known about?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

That’ll definitely add a wow factor! Their neon orange can be seen from a fair way away. I’m surprised they’re not more widely known about?

I agree.  They're hard to miss.

• Like 1

Posted

Both Writtle (Chelmsford, Essex) and Charsfield (Ipswich, Suffolk) got to 33.6C at 4pm. Seem to be the hottest two stations in the UK today.

May well have got warmer in-between the hours.

Edited by h2005__uk__
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
54 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

They've stopped cutting some of them around here...Now, they're teaming with bees, butterflies, grasshoppers and stuff.:oldgrin:

My letting agents are a bit miffed I've been letting the dandelions grow, but I've got ground bees in my garden and they need their wild flowers! 
They also seem to love the blauhügel I planted recently. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

It has reached 30.4°C in the shade at 17:24, two more hours for it to get to its maximum.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

So tomorrow, we’ll all I can say was the highest temperature I ever experienced was 39c At Girona airport back in August 2003.

i never, ever thought that I would ever experience that level of heat in this country. But here we are with the possibility tomorrow.

• Like 3

Posted

Great idea that some verges are left to flower even though they will still need to be cut once seeded. Alternatively the hay with many wild flower pods yet to mature could be spread over a barren area to bring these areas into use. 

Used this method to reseed a common area with heathers.

Just wish sight lines and road signs are kept clear of plant growth. 

• Like 4