Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion

Blessed Weather

Posted

Personally I'm glad we won't be seeing 30c in London this week. I don't fancy it when stuck in traffic jams! It's welcome when i'm off and can go to the seaside or a local park.

Wow the humidity is high, the sun has come out and temp is 26 degrees, went into the freezers in Tesco come out and wow the heat just hits you like when your on the continent, this is perfect today, it does feel more like 30 degrees In the sunshine 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
58 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Yes, but why???????

Good question Rob. The only thing I can think is that the forecast switch of surface winds from coming up from a southerly point to turning to come down the North Sea from a northerly point happened slightly earlier than anticipated, causing the storms to veer away. Here's a couple of GFS 06z charts from yesterday morning showing the forecast flow:

Mon 14.00 1393572400_GFSWindMon25Jun14_00.thumb.png.00f8da77dbf972ee0be6ec312200b641.png Tues 02.00 1540162421_GFSWindTues25Jun02_00.thumb.png.2df5c0d52f5aae54e56b8281c3193e87.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

27c with a 20c dew point 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

Wow it sure is warm out there, I'm just sitting in my room with the window wide open and it's like its not even open as its really stuffy in here. But I enjoy that because it tells you its proper summer weather happening right now 

Posted

Send some of the warmth to north of region please had to reach for sweat top heavy cloud misty and a brisk north wind all in all rather chilly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

Good question Rob. The only thing I can think is that the forecast switch of surface winds from coming up from a southerly point to turning to come down the North Sea from a northerly point happened slightly earlier than anticipated, causing the storms to veer away. Here's a couple of GFS 06z charts from yesterday morning showing the forecast flow:

Mon 14.00 1393572400_GFSWindMon25Jun14_00.thumb.png.00f8da77dbf972ee0be6ec312200b641.png Tues 02.00 1540162421_GFSWindTues25Jun02_00.thumb.png.2df5c0d52f5aae54e56b8281c3193e87.png

Given that the storms were expected to be above the 850hPa DAM height, wouldn't it be more likely to have been upper winds that 'steered' the cells to the right, Malcolm? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

So this is the infamous Spanish plume everyone has been talking about  

so that’s how they get rid of their gloomy grey skies

Posted
1 hour ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Given that the storms were expected to be above the 850hPa DAM height, wouldn't it be more likely to have been upper winds that 'steered' the cells to the right, Malcolm? 

I agree Chris. Unfortunately Meteociel archive charts don't give 850hPa winds as an option. I'd love to see what those upper winds were doing over the same period. But nevertheless I did think it was interesting that surface winds switched direction whilst the storms were trying to move north. Did that have an impact or not? I'd love some views from others on here. :oldsmile:

• Like 1

Posted

And another clue in this further tweet from Dan Holley of Weatherquest. The following comment relevant and interestingly he says upper pattern "at least partly responsible".

".. it's likely that minor mismatches in the upper pattern between models and reality was (at least partly) responsible for the change in thunderstorm track. It also meant the environment over SE England was not as favourable to sustain / intensify storms as expected."

1750487103_StormfailHolleytweet25Jun.thumb.jpg.d8b664190cf9875c0c57e85e3fea279d.jpg

https://twitter.com/danholley_/status/1143571469131243521

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Evening all. Greetings from near Peterhead. I just popped in to get a vicarious heat fix - we maxed at 12C under a heavy grey sky. At least the early drizzle and fog mostly lifted!

Posted
48 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Evening all. Greetings from near Peterhead. I just popped in to get a vicarious heat fix - we maxed at 12C under a heavy grey sky. At least the early drizzle and fog mostly lifted!

Not sure if the hideous humidity (after a mostly sleepless stormy night) is worse or your high!

Not a breath of wind outside at the moment, down to 18c now but the house remaining stubbornly hot...24.7c in the bedroom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!

21.3c right now after a grey sunless day. I love the heat but not the humidity and this heat is no good without the sun! The sky kept going really dark but not a drop of rain.

A far cry from the heat of last summer sadly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny
29 minutes ago, Darkcloud said:

21.3c right now after a grey sunless day. I love the heat but not the humidity and this heat is no good without the sun! The sky kept going really dark but not a drop of rain.

A far cry from the heat of last summer sadly.

Wow, it’s only 15c here with a NNE of 8/13.  Feeling surprisingly chilly after last night and the sticky, oppressive humidity for most of the day. Hopefully will get some sleep tonight. 

• Like 1

Posted

Blimey looks like that easterly has blown the cloud in. Distinctly chilly

Try and clear the air a bit here...

Tomorrow Friday and Saturday will be HOT this afternoon should brighten up with maybe some hot sunshine coming through..

30c is defiantly on the cards especially Saturday not the 33-35c we were looking at last weekend mind.. 

Regarding the thunderstorms that didn't happen.. That is mother nature and she will do what she wants.

I predicted a humid wet summer. So far.. I have been absolutely spot on... I do think summer will drag on mind (hopefully)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

No sunny weather since Saturday here - much fresher today as well can’t wait for June to be over truly a terrible summer month in my humble opinion !! 

The much maligned models have dealt with on ground conditions fairly well here too !!

Edited by Badgers01
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Some thundery activity in NW France, looks like it’s heading for our region? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Bit more of a refreshing feel today, early mist now cleared.

Not this weekend but the one after I'm off to Eastbourne for a long weekend visiting an old friend, hoping for a dry weekend even if it's not wall to wall sunshine, looks like I should have picked this weekend coming though lol...would be just my luck it being wet and chilly 5th/8th July,

Posted

After all the hype and excited forecasters on both NW, Beeb and Meto about this record heatwave - I'm loving it! Grey cloud, 15 degrees, nice and cool - might get up to 25 on Saturday **for one day only** , no thundery breakdown imminent. 

Role on August & September  on the up side, glad I booked to go abroad this year - I think that's one decision that has paid off massively!! :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

A week ago the computer models were predicting record levels of heat across the UK.

In reality, it's overcast, coolish, and raining. 

aka 

The Great British Summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

In comparison to Monday, it feels like Autumn out there. Cloudy, damp and that wind. Why do you disappear when it's baking hot and needed? gah.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

After yesterday's dose of mild sunburn (working on a farm will do that) today's cooler, cloudier weather comes as a great relief...At this rate, it'll no' be long before members of the local neo-Nazi chapter start to threaten me with 'repatriation'! :shok:

• Like 1