Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion

Blessed Weather

Posted

Plenty of thunder here in two waves, one from around 3am onwards and the other about 5:30. Had 13mm of rain since midnight too.

Now cloudy and 17c

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

zzzzzz

Had one eye on a window all night.  Caved in at 3am and checked my phone.

Posted

Morning all,

I timed my departure to work very badly, as I stepped out of the front door at 5:00 the heavens opened, I barely got 20 yards up the road and had to retreat and get changed and switch to the car.  I did not see any thunder and lightning just heavy rain.  When I got to Westcliff station, which is at the bottom of a hill, a river of water had formed a waterfall off the edge of the platform onto the tracks, I have never see that before.

Cheers all

FC

Posted
33 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

Plenty of thunder here in two waves, one from around 3am onwards and the other about 5:30. Had 13mm of rain since midnight too.

Now cloudy and 17c

It was the 3am one that woke as I’m not far from you - and I didn’t get back off til 4:30 as the thunder was quite loud 

Posted

Just had a look at NW forecast for today. Be amazed if get anywhere near 27 degrees 

Posted

Just a spell of moderate rain to report from Ely, no thunder or lightning this time. Feeling ultra sultry and muggy this morning though but that's it for any storm potential for now... 

I feel the high cloud and rain front somewhat dampened most of our chances yesterday by capping any initiation. 

I felt a lot of forecasters (NW and Meto included) jumped on the 'record heat and thunderstorms next week' band wagon early on when in fact there were a lot of variables since it was first forecast to now, and so it has happened that the main bulk of heat will be stalled in France and we will just be getting 'snippets' of it. 

Still - looking quite settled for the next week and into next week which will be nice, with some pleasant warm days! Not all bad 

• Like 1

Posted

I think Bexleyheath has its own micro climate (and storm shield ).  It hasn't felt particularly hot or humid (still had a duvet on, no fan and windows shut last night) - not that I am complaining about it not being humid - I hope it stays like this all week!

I have to hand it to @TomSE12, you were spot on about last night's storms and their track, much to my disappointment! Glad we all didn't miss out in the SE though

Edited by snow raven
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and cloud formations

Well after a very restless night due to the heat in the house, I am disappointed that we didn't get any storm's. 

It's dull wet and still feels muggy out! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

What started out to be a very promising plume/heat event is turning into a huge disappointment. A few days ago, temperatures were forecast to reach the high 20s, low 30s for a few days, now we're not even going to make it to 25c, and the 24c max that is forecast is just one day only...

And then last night's let down.

Sometimes I love mother nature, sometimes I cannot stand her..... 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Just clipped us here. Few claps of thunder but not worth getting up for. Although I did notice how long each rumble went on for. What causes that?

Posted
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
17 hours ago, Lauren said:

All of this feels very cool in comparison to Vegas where I have just returned from. Gutted to have missed the storms whilst I was away so hopefully will get something over the next few days.

Me too! Got back last week after 11 days  - I always enjoy the heat there without the humidity. I was really pleased to have missed the rain and flooding here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Dan Holley, Weatherquest, tweeting about why we had a 'fail' last night. His tweet contains a nice animation and you can clearly see the lightning activity veering off to the right and heading off into the North Sea:

"Ah the joys of thunderstorm forecasting - specifically 'elevated thunderstorms'. Plume events rarely go to plan, and last night was another one to add to the list. Storms did develop over France as expected, but turned to the right too quickly. Kent / East Sussex had a show."

https://twitter.com/danholley_/status/1143397535240916993

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Well, at least the sunset gave a show .

sunset.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Last night I was awaken to the wonderful sound of thunder and lightning.  I do not know what time it was as I was still half asleep.  It may have only lasted a few minutes of booming thunder and crackling lightning which was followed by rain.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

Dan Holley, Weatherquest, tweeting about why we had a 'fail' last night. His tweet contains a nice animation and you can clearly see the lightning activity veering off to the right and heading off into the North Sea:

"Ah the joys of thunderstorm forecasting - specifically 'elevated thunderstorms'. Plume events rarely go to plan, and last night was another one to add to the list. Storms did develop over France as expected, but turned to the right too quickly. Kent / East Sussex had a show."

'Veering off into the North Sea' - again!, did that last week, but fortunately I could see lightning to my east on that occasion but last night seemed a 'universal' bust...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

such a shame looked like we were in the sweet spot but never mind !! one thing though this shockingly poor June continues ....

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

So, it ended up being an E.Sussex/Kent clipper again. I mentioned a rule I apply to French Imported Storms, some 6 hours ago.

I read that this large storm (Did it attain MCS status?), initiated close to Rennes. This is on a similar Longitude to the Cherbourg Peninsula. I became a Member of NW in Jan.2005. During that time, I've noticed that t/storms initiating east of this Peninsula, tend to only affect E.Sussex/Kent (the notorious Kent Clipper, variety!! Although last nights t/storm began close to thr same Longitude as Cherbourg, the steering winds seemed to be aligned SSW/NNE. I've noticed that "thundery plumes" seem to track up from the S.S.W. A direct Southerly flow, more likely to deliver for the London area.

I thought it would be "touch ang go", whether it would reach S.E.London and so it proved!  

I think it was a pretty poor show, by the Forecasting Agencies. I'm claiming a "goal" for Cherbourg Peninsula Test Utd!! 

It's very early day's yet though and not even Half Time (mid-July).

This "rule of thumb" only applies to French Imports, obviously though!!

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

I remember your peninsula test so well and yes, sadly, it has shown its worth again. It all seemed such a cert until those storms fired up and as with you, I started to get a sense of deja vu that it would all veer east again. In the end we just had a bit of rain overnight here with too much heat and humidity for much sleep. Roll on Cyprus next weekend, now there we really do get some thunderstorms.

• Like 5

Posted

Off to the Dominic on Thursday, so looking forward to the heat, and hopefully the odd storm or two.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
5 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Yes, but why???????

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, Badgers01 said:

such a shame looked like we were in the sweet spot but never mind !! one thing though this shockingly poor June continues ....

Dreadful, isn’t it? It’s an unusual synoptic situation currently but I’m sure back in the 80’s it would have given much of the region some pretty massive storms. Heatwave.... in France, maybe

• Like 1