Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
4 minutes ago, Darkcloud said:

You're slightly south west of me aren't you? Please let me know if anything reaches you. Husband now saying I'm obsessed lol, would thought he would have realised that long ago!

Yep I'm about 20 mins from Norwich between Wymondham and Dereham :oldsmile: 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Anyone North of a line between Brighton and Rochester I think its over for us. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

I can hear distant thunder here on the Essex coast (north of Southend)...

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

OMG. to prevent myself from having a figurative, and literal, stroke, I am going to briefly summarise what I believe to be the best, most surreal night-time storm iv'e ever witnessed:

Rain: Unbelievably heavy, falling in bucket-like tropical torrents, with fist-sized raindrops. Did not stop for a good 45 mins, flooding is inevitable locally.

Lightning: Most frequent lightning I have ever had the pleasure to witness; Came in every variety imaginable, including Anvil crawlers.

Thunder: Started off as lovely, elevated growls, eventually becoming deep, cracking peels as the storm passed overhead. Nearly constant at one stage.

Wind: A hefty gust-front swept it's way through.

I absolutely cannot believe what I have just witnessed, and it easily tops all other elevated Night-time storms I have personally experienced; It was just so... Surreal, and chaotic, I was speechless. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather

Totally epic, looks like the daytime so bright! 

D6C6B9B0-A3B9-4816-83AF-6ED22EBC2051.jpeg

666AA9AD-284F-4DCA-AEAB-95BB261E07AA.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

It looks like something now developing south west of London , it’s going to be a fun night .

Posted

Went from dead calm to gusty winds just now. Several rumbles from the south...that main line of precip has finally arrived! 

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Most amazing storm for a good few years, almost has supercell feeling to it! Sky, clouds everything

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

I have given up for this evening, so glad people down south had a good light show. It wasn't meant to be further north. 

Posted

https://www.windy.com/-Radar-lightning-radar

This is rather fun. Something to amuse myself with whilst trawling through various webcams just to see some second hand lightning....

• Like 1

Posted

I keep running the radar loop in the fond hope that there's a slight swing to the north but no. Oh well, it was a nice thought.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

One of the best nights for YEARS! Makes a chance from the awful year we've had so far for spring and summer

1.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Edited by Neilsouth
  • Like 4

Posted
Just now, pinball wizard said:

This is epic in Ipswich, constant lightning, canon like thunder and torrential rain. Love it!! 

Can't believe I'm going to miss out yet again. Maybe some distant flashes later but a 0 out of 10 for me. 10/10 for the forecasted light rain though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

You wait over a year for a thunderstorm to come along and then boom !

This was an absolute corker here in St Leonards on Sea and timed to perfection as darkness fell. I saw the first distant lightning around 10pm accompanied by very faint rumbles of thunder and it took a while to get going but it was well worth the wait.

The peak of the storm was between 11pm and midnight here and by then the lightning was constant, accompanied by torrential rain for about 10-15 minutes. Surprisingly not much thunder apart from when a few close c/g strikes occurred.

I've been sitting out in the garden watching the whole event and whilst the lightning has been decreasing in intensity, it was still clearly visible until around 2am.

What a fantastic evening and night it's been.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

I would like to post a short video of last nights storm but unfortunately don't have a clue how to do it

Edited by SenlacJack
Change of wording

Posted
1 hour ago, SenlacJack said:

I would like to post a short video of last nights storm but unfortunately don't have a clue how to do it

Have you got YouTube? I think that’s pretty easy to upload to there and then share the link on here?

After last nights show, woken to the sound of rumbles in the Channel moving this way. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

We have more thunder & lightning this morning!! How spoilt have we been this past 12 hours? It certainly makes up for the t-storm deficit!

Posted

Raining again and more rumbles this morning in Ashford. 

I was so tired last night that I decided to go to bed rather than watch the storm. I soon got woken up but didn't go and look out the window as tbh I was scared. As I lay awake I heard the lightning conduct with something and the noise after was deafening. The massive Eucalyptus tree in my garden is still intact so no idea what it hit(secretly hoped it was my neighbours but unfortunately not).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

My hometown got a beating. Beddy not so.

Today I have sun and that cruddy cloud that states 'better luck next time'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

No thunder and lightning for Thurrock last night but a very downpour of rain.  Apart from the rain, the night was completely uneventful.  This morning's sky is overcast with the dull and boring stratus clouds.  It is more likely that it will rain today and very little likelihood of any thunder and lightning.  The temperature at 08:00 am is 16.1°C and the humidity is at 77%.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Dan Holley, Weatherquest, has posted on Twitter that East Anglia and the SE received around 25,000 lightning strikes last night. His post has a great animation of the strikes as the storms moving through. Here's a couple of stills:

161494418_Lightning118Jun.thumb.jpg.d4d73e73cb31c4f5ed2c0dbe64a8ce81.jpg1122116886_Lightning218Jun.thumb.jpg.a70cfc2fc05ee90fc9d09b4d3adf85f3.jpg

https://twitter.com/danholley_/status/1141228107707404288

And here's Convective Weather's take on today:

If there is enough insolation (cloud breaks) ahead of this frontal rain, then heating of this very warm, moist low-level airmass (dewpoints 14-16C) could yield up to 800 J/kg CAPE, which combined with wind convergence over East Anglia / SE England may allow a few well-scattered heavy showers or thunderstorms to develop. However, the steering winds would likely push these offshore fairly quickly. This is heavily dependent on the position and timing of the cold front, which leaves a fairly narrow window of opportunity to occur during the afternoon hours - a conditional SLGT has been issued, but should the front be quicker than currently expected then the risk would be removed altogether.

1770727531_ConvectiveWeather19Jun.thumb.jpg.e05b95c928746970bc7cfb6ded3859c0.jpg

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2019-06-19

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!

Well that was a noisy night! Heavy rain from around 2am-4am sounded sooo loud on the boat roof! Lots of lightening and several loud (but not overhead) thunder. Thought it was meant to brighten up today but very grey and cloudy. More rumbles later?