Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion

Blessed Weather

Posted
20 minutes ago, Dami said:

you don't but it helps.

Best (UK) storm I've ever experienced followed a day of drizzle at 15 degrees, warm front moving up from the SW increasing temp to 21 degrees at the same time as a MCS moving in from France. Bang.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

It looks to me like it's going to be one of those days with a lot of crud hanging around from this mornings stuff. Probably a late night tonight too! 

Posted

10:30 update - NICE!!

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/121664-convective-outlook-tuesday-18th-june-2019/page__pid__1084381#entry1084381

Primary Focus is the development which occurs from 15Z Onwards across the SE of England, upwards of 50,000 strikes possible through the evening and tonight (that may be an understatement) and considerable C/G action and within the cloud as well. Gloud Growth all the way up to 40,000 ft once we get the shortwave and cooling aloft above 500mbs (there is quite intense differential thermal advection occuring later today and it makes the profile of the atmosphere highly unstable) Risk of Torrential rain rates (in excess of 150mm/h and surface accumulations of 50mm in places. Small Hail and Straightline gusts exceeding 50 knts esp across the BLACK BOX AREA THIS EVENING and at FIRST TONIGHT . 

Edited by seb
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

According to my weather station and along with the Met Office, Wunderground and the weather outlook all report that it is raining in Thurrock.  It is bone dry and there has not been a drop of rain yet.  I doubt that there will be thunder as there is no sight of the Nimbostratus clouds.

Posted
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
6 minutes ago, Katrine Basso said:

According to my weather station and along with the Met Office, Wunderground and the weather outlook all report that it is raining in Thurrock.  It is bone dry and there has not been a drop of rain yet.  I doubt that there will be thunder as there is no sight of the Nimbostratus clouds.

Just started raining in Greenhithe, the other side of the crossing, so will be with you shortly!

Edited by EWS
  • Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, seb said:

Best (UK) storm I've ever experienced followed a day of drizzle at 15 degrees, warm front moving up from the SW increasing temp to 21 degrees at the same time as a MCS moving in from France. Bang.

One of the better storms in the last 6 years for me was a squall line coming in from the north west I think it was in Jan or Feb gave lightening, thunder, large hailstones and torrential rain for a short time. summer storms seem to have deserted my location

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
37 minutes ago, seb said:

indeed, i have had storms from drizzle.

i have had storms from over cast skies.

Just going on what people post here.

• Like 1

Posted

Some people get headaches before storms. This has been endlessly debated. But I hear a strange high-pitched hum far off in the distance. Now I'm a cynical goat and I put this down to either something psychosomatic as I usual know stormy weather is about - and the hum is probably me being hyper-vigilant to distance noises,so picking up other noises I'd usually ignore when I'm listening normally. I have tinnitus but thankfully it's a white noise tinnitus that my brain has learned to cancel out 90% of the time. But this is not a tinnitus noise either. Anyone else get odd symptoms when there is thundery weather about??

Anyway - rain has just started here.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather
51 minutes ago, EWS said:

Just started raining in Greenhithe, the other side of the crossing, so will be with you shortly!

Thank you EWS, I got the name of the thunder cloud wrong as it should have been Cumulonimbus as Nimbostratus clouds only bring rain.

Posted
49 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

Some people get headaches before storms. This has been endlessly debated. But I hear a strange high-pitched hum far off in the distance. Now I'm a cynical goat and I put this down to either something psychosomatic as I usual know stormy weather is about - and the hum is probably me being hyper-vigilant to distance noises,so picking up other noises I'd usually ignore when I'm listening normally. I have tinnitus but thankfully it's a white noise tinnitus that my brain has learned to cancel out 90% of the time. But this is not a tinnitus noise either. Anyone else get odd symptoms when there is thundery weather about??

Anyway - rain has just started here.

Bloke a few doors up cutting his lawn before it rains?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

This summer is unholy and the Worthing storm shield continues 

DC714976-62A6-4FE3-83D2-F198587A025A.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Has anyone seen the met Office graphics for our area on their latest forecast... Nothing there really for the far south east... Considering its their warning.. Strange... The BBC on the other hand looks epic... We shall see... Hope everyone gets what they wish for.. 

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Storm mad said:

Has anyone seen the met Office graphics for our area on their latest forecast... Nothing there really for the far south east... Considering its their warning.. Strange... The BBC on the other hand looks epic... We shall see... Hope everyone gets what they wish for.. 

Do you mean the "rain preview" on the app/website? That's automated and not fed by the high res model so won't pick up storms that have not formed yet.

Edited by seb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
18 minutes ago, JK1 said:

This summer is unholy and the Worthing storm shield continues 

DC714976-62A6-4FE3-83D2-F198587A025A.gif

If mother nature gets her act together and can get some lightning going in the channel around 9-10, I'm going to head to Worthing beach for the lightning show. 

I think we are a little bit too far west for a direct hit this time, unfortunately. Will be more East Sussex & Kent. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms
10 minutes ago, seb said:

Do you mean the "rain preview" on the app/website? That's not automated and not fed by the high res model so won't pick up storms that have not formed yet.

No sorry their mid morning TV forcast

Posted
3 minutes ago, Storm mad said:

No sorry their mid morning TV forcast

Oh yeah just checked... basically storms across Kent and nothing else. But that goes in line with the convective outlook and again, depending on what model blend they use for those graphics storms won't show. She did say that in a roundabout way... but yes, not very clear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything out of the ordinary, except extreme heat

Well the rain has stopped in South Ockendon and the sun is making an appearance! its feeling very muggy, hopefully a sign of things to come later!   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Wow, it's very, very humid in Bexhill...

• Like 2

Started off beautifully today and now back to greyness - humidity up to 80% and DP up to 15c  

Seems to be some clearer skies coming through on the South Coast, should help things if we can get some sunshine/heat

Edited by Uxbridge90

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Bet I (and others) only experience rain, humidity, a lot of cloud hanging around in the morning and just the briefest rumble of thunder...happens so many times in these situations. I much prefer a Spanish plume and a distinct line of showers moving northwards - June 10th 1994 was spectacular!

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted

Sooo muggy this afternoon. A bit fed up as I couldn't take my son to an event due to the train strike, didn't fancy the walk along the river to Kingston in the rain and so ended up at the gym, which was alright, but not really what we had in mind. I just wish it would stop raining. And my head would be capable of clearing from overnight grog before 2pm. Anyway, let's hope there's a reward tonight in the form of a good old fashioned storm, for those who want it of course.

Posted

The RH has really shot up now 88% feeling very muggy and a clearance coming up from S maybe game on...?

Posted

Humidity here is 60% temp is 20 deg.  Been overcast all day.  Not a drop of rain. Yet my daughter in Ditton has had heavy showers.  Bone dry and nothing on the radar yet.  This maybe one of the many times the storms miss me we shall see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

6.25.......calling a bust.