Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
Just now, Surrey said:

Still so much on radar too... 

Yes, a conveyor belt. Imagine if this was January and cold enough for snow.....we’d be buried. Think there’s a few more hours of rain to come

Posted

Spot on about South London / NW Kent, very steady torrential rain at the moment in Bromley - only one distant clap of thunder but it looks like I’m in the firing line for more 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Thunder reported nr Stowmarket by a friend. The Norfolk drizzle continues in a dizzying spell of yawnfestedness.

Posted
27 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Here's a snapshot of 24 accumulations. Although, it cannot pinpoint areas that have received more. For example, I can see on certain stations around NW Kent and parts of Surrey in excess of 45mm since midnight. ☂️

551128074_Annotation2019-06-10204314.thumb.jpg.bc6d2696758eeba21f640951a453b06c.jpg

IMBY, I'm so relieved that this isn't a snow event - here in Portsmouth I've been watching in the last few hours the heavy stuff move like a boomerang to my east, then north, then west. Can't imagine what it must be like elsewhere! 

Posted

Still coming down here at a decent rate, but nothing compared to that corridor of heaviest convection. Given the strength of the convective line, some areas are going to clearly going north of 50mm for the day which is a very impressive total.

Posted

if  the radar  right  would  not be likeing  driving arouned  the  m 25  at  the  moment

Posted

Didn't hear the Cobham/Weybridge thunder from here in Surbiton:(  it's been steady all day until around 3pm when it pepped up and has been going in and out of heavier then lighter rain ever since. The dog only got a walk around the block as I wasn't that prepared to get a soaking, although I secretly don't mind a rainy adventure, but from @Badgers01 account of Esher Common perhaps I'm glad I didn't head that way.

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 1

Posted

Up to 34.8mm now. Rainfall rate was up to 8.4mm per hour for a while, now back down to 6. Seems to be a bit of a shift in direction: most of the day it's been ESE, now seems more ENE. Lotsore rain to come I suspect; easily over 40mm total here, possibly 45, maybe pushing 50mm.

Posted

Not much rain here today. Had a short spell around midday, but then a dry afternoon. It is very light rain at the moment, but the main feature of the day has been how cool it's been.

Posted
41 minutes ago, MBaines said:

I would guess there was damage to the underground cables - all was ok when ground was dry - now its had some heavy rain, it's got down to where the damage was and caused a short circuit - causing the moisture to turn to steam as it heats - if if happens quickly enough it then causes the cable to fail.   It's quite an experience when it happens nearby - ground shaking.    We had a problem here in the 90s after cable tv was installed and they damaged the power cables, nothing happened until it rained then smoke / flames and ground shaking happened several times - and continued happening each time it rained until the length of damaged cable was replace.

Ah thankyou for explaining. There was smoke coming from the pavement , yes. Sounded quite frightening actually!

Posted

Some places already above 50mm according to NetWeather radar accumulation:

image.thumb.png.e5dc4afd4862e20472a311bf1f75ab6d.png

image.thumb.png.2a4ea8d5ce1305ddf262ec4d96986103.png

The total for where I live corresponds pretty closely with what I've measured, so no reason to suspect they're overdone. NW Kent in the lead, S. London, Guildford and Wokingham area also well up on totals.

• Like 1

Posted

we could be  infor a very wet night it looks like

Posted

Crikey for some of north Kent some very heavy rates chucked in there, moving at a snail pace and backbuilding severe flooding potential high.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Crikey for some of north Kent some very heavy rates chucked in there, moving at a snail pace and backbuilding severe flooding potential high.

Yes. Quite a serious convergence line seems to be occurring over Kent between Rochester and Maidstone heading West. Showing rates of 75mm or so per hour. That's pretty serious!

Posted

Here in the Chilterns we have so far escaped anything but a normal wet day really. Temp at the moment is 10.2c, there are no sparks or thunder to be heard but it is a bit breezy along with the drizzle and light to moderate rainfalls. Will be interesting to see amounts later on, not just here but around the region. Take care those of you being struck by deluge!

RainGraphSoFar9.30pm10June2019.JPG

RainTotalsSoFar9.30pm10June2019.JPG

Edited by Chillyhills

Posted

that line of rain heading towards  gatwick  could be interesting there  soon looks like moosoon rain very deep red

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Lightning. And torrential rain!

• Like 1

Convection line just scraped to the South but delivered a massive bolt of lightning-

Along that run I would expect 60-70mm totals for the day

Its not often we talk about rain to the tune of 7cm in one day - especially in the SE

• Like 1

Posted

I have a snow sledge in my garage and a random oar. Suppose I could bodge together a boat and get my arms at the ready, for a wet commute tomorrow..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Chatham, Kent a short while ago

IMG_5603.thumb.jpg.7828c15a8b5827d48f14a4f00e95471f.jpgIMG_5605.thumb.jpg.2a1e0125b6d31e4e819a07f67e99b19c.jpg

I'd love to see pictures from underneath that convective line, that's flash flood territory right there!