Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Some decent showers breaking out in the Region this afternoon and making for some great cloudscapes here in Hadleigh. Lightning showing up on the radar just to the SE of Bedford (circled) a short while back.

Radar 15.40: 981166100_Radar02May15_40.thumb.jpg.e2eef77d5316631e95eae7ba5c680a0c.jpg Hadleigh: 1005065092_Hadleigh202May.thumb.jpg.ca9c63304b3f0049f2ac864bf643ab05.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Torrential rain/hail but no thunder...the ground really needs this!:yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted
34 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Some decent showers breaking out in the Region this afternoon and making for some great cloudscapes here in Hadleigh.

Agreed, the cloudscapes are beautiful as has been the case often during this particular spell of weather. So far rain has largely eluded us, but perhaps today could be the day ☔.

Screenshot_20190502-163512.jpg

IMG_20190502_163240.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Heavy rain falling across Surrey - dry And not muddy Esher Common I shall miss you  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Some hefty looking showery convective rainfall making its way down here.

2CE3438C-6109-47EC-9273-85D086762273.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Most of the shower were to our south and west, but we did get one during early afternoon that watered my mint and Oxalis!

Posted

You may not bloomin' believe this, but I am led to believe that the rainfall last night somehow managed to dodge us completely!! I'm loving this dry weather. How is everyone this morning? I have my GCSE geography fieldwork today! Hooray! We are going to two sites, one of which is Glyne gap, to study long-shore drift, Coastal protection methods, and more.

Wow, my Exams are close... I'm not nervous though! I just have to try my absolute best, that's all anyone can really ask for... Well, you can also ask for A shed load of revision. I actually cannot wait to be rid of the 'weight' of my impending GCSES... It's weird. It's not Stress really, it's just a kind of palpable tension. Anticipation. You know.

Anyway, enough rambling from me. I hope everyone enjoys their day.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, LightningLover said:

You may not bloomin' believe this, but I am led to believe that the rainfall last night somehow managed to dodge us completely!! I'm loving this dry weather. How is everyone this morning? I have my GCSE geography fieldwork today! Hooray! We are going to two sites, one of which is Glyne gap, to study long-shore drift, Coastal protection methods, and more.

Wow, my Exams are close... I'm not nervous though! I just have to try my absolute best, that's all anyone can really ask for... Well, you can also ask for A shed load of revision. I actually cannot wait to be rid of the 'weight' of my impending GCSES... It's weird. It's not Stress really, it's just a kind of palpable tension. Anticipation. You know.

Anyway, enough rambling from me. I hope everyone enjoys their day.

Have fun at the fieldwork! Not doing GCSE Georgraphy is one one of biggest regrets. I remember that exam feeling as if it were yesterday. But the feeling you get when it's all over is pure bliss so look forward to that feeling!

I have got to dash home tonight, then up the the allotment  with cardboard boxes and bring 100 seedlings in standard sized pots from the polytunnel into the flat for the weekend. That's going to be fun - it's just 37sqm in here and already packed to the rafters! literally don't know where they are going to go!

A tip from two very experienced allotment holders who have plots next to mine - at this point in the year, if there is a frost possible, just cover your young potato plants with soil. This will protect them from the frost and they will simple grow out of the soil you've places on top of them. It won't crush or harm them - but a frost will!

• Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

Have fun at the fieldwork! Not doing GCSE Georgraphy is one one of biggest regrets. I remember that exam feeling as if it were yesterday. But the feeling you get when it's all over is pure bliss so look forward to that feeling!

I have got to dash home tonight, then up the the allotment  with cardboard boxes and bring 100 seedlings in standard sized pots from the polytunnel into the flat for the weekend. That's going to be fun - it's just 37sqm in here and already packed to the rafters! literally don't know where they are going to go!

A tip from two very experienced allotment holders who have plots next to mine - at this point in the year, if there is a frost possible, just cover your young potato plants with soil. This will protect them from the frost and they will simple grow out of the soil you've places on top of them. It won't crush or harm them - but a frost will!

Cheers for the allotment tips about the spuds. Covered mine over a bit yesterday evening just in case. Probably won't get as cold here than when you are. 

I put my seedlings in the shed. Can't be bothered hawking them over and back to the house! 

We could do without the frost and could do with a good deluge of rain. Seriously dry now!! 

Posted

For the record, stats for April 2019 in the East, courtesy of Dan Holley, Weatherquest:

56961482_April2019intheEast.thumb.jpg.1d2686c6cd27ffc0ca4506029cc6b9d3.jpg

Highlights:

• Temperatures near-normal (+0.2C)
  • Joint 8th driest April on record (25%) and the driest April since 2011
  • Above-average sunshine (119%)
  • 14 nights produced an air frost somewhere in the region, above the average of 11.

The rainfall deficit for the past 12 months is 178mm (29% of our average annual rain), and for the past 3 years the deficit is 218mm.

Source: https://twitter.com/danholley_/status/1124211406272966656

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted

A tad off topic but I had to share this with you; a great way one US TV company forecasts how strong the winds will be.

523414891_TrashCanwindterms.thumb.jpg.b6a3add0cbaf71bb4d85ba7f8f53429f.jpg

What's the chances of the BBC adopting it....... I bet Channel 5 would though. :oldlaugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Been very lucky so far today with the showers in Benfleet, dodged every single cell, no doubt will crop something later though! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Pouring down here since 3pm

Weve just put the central heating on to 20c 

Excuse for me & the better half to order pizza, glass of wine and cozy up this evening.

Feels like early winter out there. 

• Like 3

Posted

Very interesting skies over Colchester in the last hour. Had a fairly light shower pass over but as it departed, the back edge had a lot of low level swirling scud behind it. About the same time it exploded into life further north and there's now a nice convergence zone sitting just east of me which seems to be flowing into the bigger system to the north. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Haven’t had rain here on the south coast in ages, all the showers die out before they reach here, today has actually been quite nice here, Reached 14.6c and is currently 13.5c and fairly sunny while the rest of England seems to be cold and rainy...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Damp and miserable here in Surrey , have also lit a fire good time to use up the last if the winter logs and coal  

• Like 2

Posted

Well, that was rather unexpected! We just had our first Heavy rainfall in a while, in the form of a fairly long-lived heavy/very heavy shower. Some convective wind gusts were also thrown in for good measure!

• Like 1

Posted

What a difference half hour makes shorts and t-shirt at dinner time feeling warm in the sun, half hour later wrapped up for winter still missing the rain though

Unless there is a change in Upper steering winds only the very far east will catch the showers... 

Actually not the bad in the sun.. Typical over media hype and general Facebook forecasters over hyping this cold spell as usual.. 

Prehaps a chance at some decent hail showers today? 

Edited by Surrey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

Lots of convection this morning, hopefully going to see some wonderful cloudscape and maybe a small storm 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
1 hour ago, Surrey said:

Unless there is a change in Upper steering winds only the very far east will catch the showers... 

Actually not the bad in the sun.. Typical over media hype and general Facebook forecasters over hyping this cold spell as usual.. 

Prehaps a chance at some decent hail showers today? 

Just like when they decide to name a low pressure system into a storm name. 

Other parts of the world would cringe at our version of a ‘severe/noteworthy’ weather event.