Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Coldish morning but lovely sunny day, and zero showers, again. But I want rain for my garden, its getting kind of desperate here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

After early morning showery rain we have had nothing more today & so the predominately dry weather continues. We have had to water all our potted plants again today. The allotment is also fairly dry & I will have to water it on my next visit. Rhubarb doing OK though. The early part of the weekend looks wet & windy. As a Chelmsford City supporter I am travelling down to Chippingham for the final league game in the season, before we are engaged in the playoffs. I only hope it is nit a repeat of my experience a month or so back when I traveled down to Torquay for a rearranged game that had previously been cancelled. The supporters coach had left our ground at noon and arrived at Plain Moor at 17.50, only to be told 20 minutes later the game was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. We left and arrived back at Chelmsford at 1 am.

Kind Regards

Dave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Great analysis from Dan Holley at Weatherquest illustrating the deficit in rainfall across East Anglia over the last 3 years. The highlights:

• Up to yesterday (24th) EA has received only 8mm of rain so far this April (17% of average).
  • Since May 2016 the rainfall deficit is now 220mm (and is 180mm over the last 12 months).

The graph shows how each month compares to average over the past 3 years - green wetter than normal, brown drier than normal.

961643406_EastAngliaRainfallMay2016toApril2019.thumb.jpg.a9d279ce9dc062f47a12f5d1099e1042.jpg

https://twitter.com/danholley_/status/1121323367938842624

• Thanks 1

Seriously starting to get concerned about the lack of any meaningful rainfall in our part of the world... It now looks like Storm Hannahs efforts to drop anything will be pretty poor to.. 

Up to Sunday rainfall totals for our area.. 1-2mm

rain.thumb.gif.9afd40b42ce046f8c01f2c7df2c47216.gif

Unless something drastic changes... Then I predict one of 2 things this summer... Serious serious drought... OR something similar to 2015 or 16? when the Thames broke out near me worst flooding for years...Climate change is all about extreme ends of the spectrum and that is exactly what is happening all over the world.. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
43 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Seriously starting to get concerned about the lack of any meaningful rainfall in our part of the world... It now looks like Storm Hannahs efforts to drop anything will be pretty poor to.. 

(snipped)

Yes, a real pain having to water flower beds at this time of year. Your neck of the woods looking to largely miss meaningful rain from Storm Hannah. Looking at the high res models I think this weekend will be a case of hoping to catch one of the heavier showers rattling through. So some back gardens will strike lucky whilst others miss out. There's a front coming through the Region around 03.00 Saturday morning with some heavy outbreaks of rain, but Arome model shows the fragmented nature of that rainfall:

Sat 03.00 1376723701_AromePrecipSat27April03_00.thumb.png.52c744fd6b9803acf2fd3bebff0a426c.png

Icon model showing Saturday afternoon very windy for the Region with 50mph gusts as Hannah moves out into the North Sea. It's a shame this time of the year as this is likely to take its toll of youngsters falling out of bird nests.

Sat 15.00 1276251535_ICONGustsSat27April15_00.thumb.png.d43785a89877d64f41d29f9c31620da5.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Aye BW, the lack of rainfall is becoming a major concern of mine: after Wednesday's and yesterday's no-shows, I am hoping that today's more SW'erly flow will at least bring some relief...Things might well look all nice and green right now, but give it a two-week sunny/hot spell, and the brown will start to show...?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Good morning All. Well if it's a return to warmth you want then please look away, although there is a high level of Shannon entropy from the models a trend is for more rather chilly and convective weather to persist into the change of month. Also with light winds overnight and given clear skies even frost could turn up anywhere, one to watch if you're a gardener:cold:

h850t850eu-6.png

Posted

Already having to water the allotment, really wish we could have a deluge or two. Also wary of planting out pot-bound seedlings as can't rule out a light frost yet.

Currently deciding whether to rearrange the coffee morning which is outside but under a marquee tomorrow at 11.30am...sensible or overkill?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
8 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Aye BW, the lack of rainfall is becoming a major concern of mine: after Wednesday's and yesterday's no-shows, I am hoping that today's more SW'erly flow will at least bring some relief...Things might well look all nice and green right now, but give it a two-week sunny/hot spell, and the brown will start to show...?

Thinking exactly the same...it will only take a very warm sunny spell in May to turn things brown very quickly, it is exceptionally dry out there and had only 3.5mm of rain this month! As mentioned what's happened to the rain expected yesterday and today from showers?...absolute no shows, a few spots and that's been it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

I am having bad luck with weather and my job this year! All the glorious weekends I have no weddings (I photograph them) all the cold, wet and windy ones I do.
People outside makes my job easier, natural light makes everyone look lovely, it's trickier indoors in dark energy efficient bulb lit venues the whole day. 
I'd love it if Hannah could avoid Suffolk tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Hard to believe 40mph gusts will be with us tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

Ahead of Storm Hannah it was a very pleasant afternoon here in the Hastings area on Friday afternoon. Almost cloudless skies right on the coast and although quite breezy it was still warm enough to sit in the sun for a couple of hours.

Far better than I was expecting but who knows what the next few hours will bring ? Winds picking up here now.

Posted
6 hours ago, moogyboobles said:

I am having bad luck with weather and my job this year! All the glorious weekends I have no weddings (I photograph them) all the cold, wet and windy ones I do.
People outside makes my job easier, natural light makes everyone look lovely, it's trickier indoors in dark energy efficient bulb lit venues the whole day. 
I'd love it if Hannah could avoid Suffolk tomorrow.

Funny saying that I have been keeping a follower updated on the weather for their wedding today and done it a few times, and there seems to be a tendency for the weather on the day to not be good sandwiched in between pleasant sunny days. Not looking best of days although it looking like our region will be spared from rain although very windy.  

Some nice soaking rain passed through around midnight needed that...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Only this country would refer to wind gusts of 45mph as a storm and call a low pressure system Hannah. 

Ireland, SW, took the brunt of winds, as usual media hype milking Hannah across our patch. 

*Back to the good old days when it was just a windy day. 

• Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Only this country would refer to wind gusts of 45mph as a storm and call a low pressure system Hannah. 

Ireland, SW, took the brunt of winds, as usual media hype milking Hannah across our patch. 

looking at  the radar she looking  good  near  london at the  moment

Posted
1 hour ago, Ben Lewis said:

agreed. Gusts of 40-50mph likely across East Anglia, perhaps locally 55mph. We usually get gusts in the 40s at least once every month throughout the year. Not a huge amount of rain expected today either, certainly not enough to recover the large deficit over the past few years.

Posted
31 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Don't worry about the wind, we need rain!...where the hell is it!!

Doesn't seem to be much wind either, but yes, we do need rain!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

The ‘we need rain’ posts. 

We live on the path of the Gulf Stream. It will balance out. Always does. 

I’m making the most of it instead of worrying that one of the wettest countries in Europe gets to have another dry useable weekend. 

• Like 1

Posted

Seems too windy to rain showers breaking up before reaching us, tree's and vegetation are going to be under serious stress with the upcoming warm to hot spell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

We're getting some rain here today, but not nearly enough.  I fully expect a very different Norfolk landscape by autumn.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Which will be the first East Anglian village overrun by a barchan?:oldgrin:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
35 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

I’m making the most of it instead of worrying that one of the wettest countries in Europe gets to have another dry useable weekend. 

Well it needs to...as last year was pretty dry too, the thing is it will probably try to 'balance out' come this winter when a few on here would prefer drier and frosty cold conditions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Interesting to read about rainfall or the lack of it. Recent years seem to deliver lengthy dry spells and then lengthy wet spells. Seemingly gone are the typical changeable weather patterns we experienced year round in this corner of Europe. The lack of rain is a concern; what worries me more is what happens when things ‘balance out’. I remember very well the disastrous Thames floods in 2013, over a thousand people were evacuated in my home town alone with huge damage to property and land.

It might be a good time for the government to reassess how the UK uses water. We are an extremely wasteful nation in this regard. If every household and business were to have a meter installed, water usage would dramatically drop, as happened in quite a few European countries.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Ben Lewis said:

Ben 90%of the time I agree with you. Unfortunately not this time. Balancing act doesn't seem to be happening st tje moment. Autumns was dry and I can confirm in my part of the world. It was nothing like 2013/2014 winter. Rain is a problem whether you like it or not

• Like 3