Jump to content

July 2019 CET & EWP forecast contests


Recommended Posts

16.8c to the 16th

0.9c above the 61 to 90 average

0.4c above the 81 to 10 average

________________________________

Current high this month 16.8 to the 16th

Current low this month 15.3c to the 3rd

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Monthly Three players got it spot on this month. DiagonalRedLine, Leo97t and Quicksilver1989, with a further three players 0.1c out, B87, EdStone and seaside60. Seasonal Very close bet

The EWP came in provisionally at 72 mm.  Based on that, the top scores for July were score _ fcst __ forecaster 10.0 __ 72.0 __ Jeff C  9.8 ___73.0 __ Let It Snow!  9.6 ___71.

July confirmed as 17.5c https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/mly_cet_mean_sort.txt

Posted Images

Blimey - Now thinking its not infeasible that i could bust on the low side given the forecasts - really not sure what people moaning about this month expect, its massively below average rainfall and now significantly above average temps, the only people who should be moaning by the end of this month is people who hate heat like me, thats like me getting 12 inches of snow from a marginal battleground setup in winter and moaning it wasn't -10c, mind you i could be close to winning the CET so every cloud has a silver lining.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunny Sheffield up 16.7C +1.1C above normal. Rainfall at 6.4mm 11,2% of the monthly average

Well we could have a horrid hot spell coming up. That will bung the averages up a bit.

Edited by The PIT
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

EWP was still only 6 mm through 15th and probably also yesterday, today will add a few (so it has probably now passed the all-time July minimum of 8 mm) ... 12z GFS suggests around 30 mm to come in next ten days, that projection misses some of today's rain so let's say 35 mm more to 27th 12z, then perhaps 5-10 more after that. Still looks plausible that 50 mm would be a rough estimate, but if you want to compare the previous excel projection to 70 mm, here it is (if final total is 60 mm your change of position will be less dramatic). 

Also, looking quite warm now to end of month, could see a run towards 18 as final value (needs to average almost 20 from now on to get there, assuming 17.0 by 20th, eleven days at 19.9 produce an average of 18.0). 

EWP20182019Julyb.xlsx

Edited by Roger J Smith
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

16.9c to the 17th

0.9c above the 61 to 90 average

0.5c above the 81 to 10 average

________________________________

Current high this month 16.9 to the 17th

Current low this month 15.3c to the 3rd

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Its starting to look like we could finish well above average. I would not be surprised to see us into the 18s at this rate.

Edited by reef
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, reef said:

Its starting to look like we could finish well above average. I would not be surprised to see us into the 18s at this rate.

This month is quietly working its way up the rankings, with the heat coming at just the right time next week to lift it well over 17C. Including last year I believe there have only been 9 Julys over 18C on record, so it would be a very noteworthy month if it gets there. After all the moaning in mid June of this summer being worse than 2007, 2012 etc...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunny Sheffield up to 16.9C +1.3C. Rainfall just 7.4mm 13% of the monthly average. Despite little rain the garden is growing very happily.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

16.9c to the 18th

1.0c above the 61 to 90 average

0.5c above the 81 to 10 average

________________________________

Current high this month 16.9 to the 17th & 18th

Current low this month 15.3c to the 3rd

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Below is the estimate of the CET over the next 10 days based on the 06z GFS

image.thumb.png.f80b63e41561ee52c88484fd990ab99a.png

The first graph is the provisional data and forecast with daily max, min, mean and the rolling CET, as well as the 81-10 rolling mean. The second graph is the daily mean in relation the the daily high and low mean record values.

   image.thumb.png.b3eb4f7dbbac04167ab844b8db0b34ce.png  image.thumb.png.d4f2c1804a6b0f491b9078b082dca2b4.png 

Anyone up for beating the old warmest CET day on record 4 times in a row? The 06z GFS certainly is! Quite possibly the warmest spell I've seen forecast within the 7 day window. Would easily set a whole new standard for British heatwaves.
In the meantime though, slightly above average this weekend before things begin to properly warm up from Monday.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

Below is the estimate of the CET over the next 10 days based on the 06z GFS

image.thumb.png.f80b63e41561ee52c88484fd990ab99a.png

The first graph is the provisional data and forecast with daily max, min, mean and the rolling CET, as well as the 81-10 rolling mean. The second graph is the daily mean in relation the the daily high and low mean record values.

   image.thumb.png.b3eb4f7dbbac04167ab844b8db0b34ce.png  image.thumb.png.d4f2c1804a6b0f491b9078b082dca2b4.png 

Anyone up for beating the old warmest CET day on record 4 times in a row? The 06z GFS certainly is! Quite possibly the warmest spell I've seen forecast within the 7 day window. Would easily set a whole new standard for British heatwaves.
In the meantime though, slightly above average this weekend before things begin to properly warm up from Monday.

Absolute madness if that comes off.  Things are changing and rapidly folks....  It’s frightening!

Edited by Don
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Two 18.5C+ Julys in a row would be quite something. If July did manage to finish on 18.5C, then August would then only need 17.3C to take this summer into the top 20 in the CET series.

Warm summers often come in twos so who knows?

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, reef said:

Two 18.5C+ Julys in a row would be quite something. If July did manage to finish on 18.5C, then August would then only need 17.3C to take this summer into the top 20 in the CET series.

Warm summers often come in twos so who knows?

 

What would also make it notable would be the fact that the first two thirds of July have been fairly unremarkable.  To finish with a CET in the mid to high 18’s would be something this month.  What is certain is that my 17.2C guess will be way out!

Edited by Don
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

16.8c to the 19th

0.9c above the 61 to 90 average

0.4c above the 81 to 10 average

________________________________

Current high this month 16.9 to the 17th & 18th

Current low this month 15.3c to the 3rd

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunny Sheffield at 16.8C +1C above average. Rainfall up 19.9mm 34.9% of the monthly average

A drift away from a mega heatwave with it being shuttled back for a two day affair for us.

Edited by The PIT
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like high 17c is probably around the ballpark this lands unless things really do get exceptional in terms of the heat.

Worth watching the date records on the 23rd and 24th (Tues/Weds) which are both very breakable. Tuesday requires 33.5 (certainly locally possible) and Wednesday only needs 32.7, which providing the heat doesn't end up over the north sea, should be beaten somewhere in the eastern part of the SE (E.G Gravesend, etc)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

16.9c to the 20th

0.9c above the 61 to 90 average

0.4c above the 81 to 10 average

________________________________

Current high this month 16.9 to the 17th, 18th & 20th

Current low this month 15.3c to the 3rd

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

16.9c to the 20th

0.9c above the 61 to 90 average

0.4c above the 81 to 10 average

________________________________

Current high this month 16.9 to the 17th, 18th & 20th

Current low this month 15.3c to the 3rd

Preparing for lift off.......

Link to post
Share on other sites

EWP jumped to 25 mm after a wet Friday 19th, looks like 2-3 mm on average yesterday so 27-28 into today, GFS was showing 10-15 mm more to end of month. Still very plausible to finish around 50 mm. 

CET looked like it might rocket up to about 26th then fall back slightly after that. A finish between 17.6 and 18.2 looks most likely. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunny Sheffield still at 16.8C +0.9C above normal. Rainfall unchanged at 20.3mm 35.6% of the monthly average.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...