Jump to content
Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen

June 2019 - One of the worst summer months ever?


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl

    Rainfall wise - its been wet here so far this month, but nothing exceptional, unusually we've been one of the driest parts of the country this past week, under a rain shadow effect, alas we did have a very wet start to the month.

    Its the absolutely woeful temperatures so far this month which is making it feel very unsummery and generally very miserable in feel. We have yet to see a max above 17 degrees, and most days have been in the 11-14 degree range, the average maximum is about 17-18 degrees. Yesterday we achieved a max of 11 degrees! - some places in NE only 9 degrees, many many many a warmer day in January.

    This is my favourite time of year on average, but the last 3 weeks have been shocking - limited sunshine, and significantly below average temperatures.

    A return to near average temps on the cards, but only just around here, hopefully more sunshine. Indeed sunshine levels so far this month must be well below average - a new thread I feel on this topic alone is needed..

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    Posted
  • Location: Barton on Sea, Hampshire
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
  • Location: Barton on Sea, Hampshire

    Like @damianslaw above the rainfall hasn't been exceptional here (although it's still been very wet), it's the constant low daytime temperatures which have been the main feature here. I did manage 18.1°C when the sun briefly came out on Wednesday but that's the only time this week it's got close to feeling like summer. It's only reached 20°C once this month and that was on 1st June. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Home: Chingford, London (NE). Work: London (Central)
  • Location: Home: Chingford, London (NE). Work: London (Central)

    For London, like many places, this has been one of the worst summer months for years (so far). The first two days were hot and sunny (27c/28c). Since then it’s been cool, even cold, and very wet. I’ve actually had to turn the heating on briefly, which is absurd at this time of year. 

    We’re only half way through the month and next week looks much better here (25c forecast on Tuesday), so overall the month hopefully won’t be as bad as June 2007 or June 2012. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Perth, Scotland
  • Location: Perth, Scotland

    The complete lack of warmth has been notable the warmest it’s been all month is just short of 19.C, even June 2012 exceeded 20.C but still time for that to happen. I would say it has been pretty wet but I don’t think it’s been overly dull, we’ve had some quite good spells of sunshine in between showers, I have nearly broken my June lowest maximum though on the 13th it reached just 11.3.C which is just short of my record of 11.1.C on the 14th June 2012. In need of a spell of prolonged settled weather now though.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Woodland Garden, South Yorks
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny weather, thunderstorms
  • Location: Woodland Garden, South Yorks

    I have just looked through more than 100 years of local Met Office climate data, and this month is set to be the coldest June since 1991, and the wettest since 2007, if it doesn't change dramatically for the better in the second half.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
    20 hours ago, Thundershine said:

    I have just looked through more than 100 years of local Met Office climate data, and this month is set to be the coldest June since 1991, and the wettest since 2007, if it doesn't change dramatically for the better in the second half.

    Surprised by that. Sunny Sheffield rainfall wise is unlikely to beat 2012, 1982 which had 182mm and 228mm. The temps are close to normal here just slightly below. Where about's you in South Yorkshire?

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: London
  • Location: London
    On 15/06/2019 at 02:04, danm said:

    For London, like many places, this has been one of the worst summer months for years (so far). The first two days were hot and sunny (27c/28c). Since then it’s been cool, even cold, and very wet. I’ve actually had to turn the heating on briefly, which is absurd at this time of year. 

    We’re only half way through the month and next week looks much better here (25c forecast on Tuesday), so overall the month hopefully won’t be as bad as June 2007 or June 2012. 

    Even with an improvement now, this month will still be remembered for being a poor one. June 2019 has been pants. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Woodland Garden, South Yorks
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny weather, thunderstorms
  • Location: Woodland Garden, South Yorks
    4 hours ago, The PIT said:

    Surprised by that. Sunny Sheffield rainfall wise is unlikely to beat 2012, 1982 which had 182mm and 228mm. The temps are close to normal here just slightly below. Where about's you in South Yorkshire?

    I'm a bit further south and west. The average max temperature could be the lowest since 1991, however if the second half is milder then probably won't be any more.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Rossland BC Canada
  • Location: Rossland BC Canada

    This month has been a strong case for the superiority of astronomical season dates over climatological month-based seasons. I guess there was a reason why that convention was ever adopted in the first place. Mind you, winter seems to have evaded detection by either system this past year. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Rossland BC Canada
  • Location: Rossland BC Canada
    2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

    How's about the scintillating Junes of 1971 and 1972! https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/j.1477-8696.1972.tb05236.x

    Yes, I was over on a visit in June 1972 and it was remarkably unpleasant, can remember one afternoon in the Midlands with a temperature of about 8 C and a raw wind with drizzle along with it. The whole month was basically not much better than that. It appears not to have added up to a large rainfall total but it was a fairly persistent light rain together with very raw temperatures.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Irlam
  • Location: Irlam
    16 hours ago, Roger J Smith said:

    This month has been a strong case for the superiority of astronomical season dates over climatological month-based seasons. I guess there was a reason why that convention was ever adopted in the first place. Mind you, winter seems to have evaded detection by either system this past year. 

    The astronomical dates have never made any sense to me, who decided these dates and then applied them meteorologically? When is the sun at its strongest, the longest days of daylight and the sun at its greatest altitiude for the northern hemisphere? From 7th May to 7th August, so that should be the astronomical summer, why from summer solstice to the autumnal equinox has always baffled me.

      

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Powys Mid Wales borders.
  • Location: Powys Mid Wales borders.

    The way that low moved last week was truly exceptional.

    Last weeks weather was truly exceptional.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Coventry
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm
  • Location: Coventry

    The first half of June was mainly rubbish with the amount of rainy days, but if we can grab 70-80% of days in the 2nd half at slightly cooler daytime high of 18-21C - dry, breezy with sunny intervals, I will be more than happy with that.  It is much easier to sleep and work in and I'm saving money by not having the AC in my garden office on full blast like I did last year.

    Take a look at page 2 of The Environment Agency's Weekly rainfall and river flow summary on the link below, to give you an idea of just how wet last week was compared to just a few weeks ago.

    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/808920/Rainfall_and_river_flow_summary_5_to_11_June_2019.pdf

    Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)
    16 hours ago, Weather-history said:

    The astronomical dates have never made any sense to me, who decided these dates and then applied them meteorologically? When is the sun at its strongest, the longest days of daylight and the sun at its greatest altitiude for the northern hemisphere? From 7th May to 7th August, so that should be the astronomical summer, why from summer solstice to the autumnal equinox has always baffled me.

      

    astronomical summer makes perfect sense in Canada so it is used here..spring and autumn are very short if sometimes non existent..so the period 21st June - 21st September is the least snowiest time if the year..so must be summer right?

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: West Midlands
  • Weather Preferences: A variety, but nothing too extreme
  • Location: West Midlands

    I must say, this is one of the worst Junes (if not the worst)  that I can remember in the 27 years of my life. Not only have we had numerous wet days, but it has been cool most of the time so far. Over here in Brum at least, we have had no particularly warm days so far this month and the forecast for the rest of the month doesn't have anything particularly warm on the cards either... 20 Celsius max. Hopefully I am wrong, but I have a feeling we won't be seeing any particularly warm days until mid July.

    Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Bratislava (240m)
  • Location: Bratislava (240m)
    2 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

    I must say, this is one of the worst Junes (if not the worst)  that I can remember in the 27 years of my life. Not only have we had numerous wet days, but it has been cool most of the time so far. Over here in Brum at least, we have had no particularly warm days so far this month and the forecast for the rest of the month doesn't have anything particularly warm on the cards either... 20 Celsius max. Hopefully I am wrong, but I have a feeling we won't be seeing any particularly warm days until mid July.

    I'm coming back to Blighty in mid-July so you can forget about warm days. ?

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Irlam
  • Location: Irlam
    5 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

    astronomical summer makes perfect sense in Canada so it is used here..spring and autumn are very short if sometimes non existent..so the period 21st June - 21st September is the least snowiest time if the year..so must be summer right?

    That's not the point I was making.  I'm looking at it from an astronomical point of view, you are looking it from a meteorological point of view. 

    Forget the weather, purely from an astronomy view, why isn't it from 7th May to 7th August when the sun is at its greatest altitiude above the horizion, the longest days of daylight, the earliest sunrise , the latest sunset?  All astronomical events. 

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Wigan, Greater Manchester/Lancashire
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, sunny.
  • Location: Wigan, Greater Manchester/Lancashire

    Interesting fact, the maximum CET so far for June is 16.6 degrees, which is 1.7 degrees below the 61-90 average, and is only marginally warmer than May (16.1 degrees). This June so far is also only around 1 degree warmer than the 61-90 average for May, and in some places will be cooler than the 1981-2010 average daily maximum for May. It has been very cold indeed (like I even needed to say that )


     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)
    7 hours ago, Weather-history said:

    That's not the point I was making.  I'm looking at it from an astronomical point of view, you are looking it from a meteorological point of view. 

    Forget the weather, purely from an astronomy view, why isn't it from 7th May to 7th August when the sun is at its greatest altitiude above the horizion, the longest days of daylight, the earliest sunrise , the latest sunset?  All astronomical events. 

     

    i get that..im saying meteorological seasons work in the UK..they don't really align here where i live..so astronomical seasons tend to work a little better here

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Walsall Wood, Walsall, West Midlands 145m ASL
  • Location: Walsall Wood, Walsall, West Midlands 145m ASL
    On 17/06/2019 at 08:22, Weather-history said:

    The astronomical dates have never made any sense to me, who decided these dates and then applied them meteorologically? When is the sun at its strongest, the longest days of daylight and the sun at its greatest altitiude for the northern hemisphere? From 7th May to 7th August, so that should be the astronomical summer, why from summer solstice to the autumnal equinox has always baffled me.

      

    One way of explaining it I think is the idea that there are only two seasons really in the astronomical sense (Summer and Winter), with the other two merely regarded as the first halves of those seasons. In other words Spring and Autumn should be regarded as greater Summer and Winter  astronomically if that makes sense. After all there's a reason the solstices were historically often referred to as mid Summer and Winter been halfway between the equinoxes, when these 'greater' seasons begin and end. In other words Spring and Autumn are just another sub division of the duality of the year. It's a bit like how we have day and night but they can further be divided into morning, afternoon, evening and so forth. It's just that for some reason the first halves of the 'greater' seasons have their own unique titles to distinguish them from the second halves which we just refer to by the titles that could apply to the whole. That's my take on it anyway.

    Edited by Walsall Wood Snow
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Wigan, Greater Manchester/Lancashire
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, sunny.
  • Location: Wigan, Greater Manchester/Lancashire

    “Touch wood” it seems creating this thread might just have given us a nice last week of June in store ?

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: just south of Doncaster, Sth Yorks
  • Location: just south of Doncaster, Sth Yorks

    The coldest June’s are

    In recent years, only the June’s of 1991, 1977 and 1971 ran colder. Before that, you have to back to 1923, 1916, 1908, 1906, 1860, 1823, 1821, 1749, 1745, 1725, 1705, 1698 and 1689 to find cooler months of June

    The wettest are 2007 and 2012

     

    This so far as I can dig out data, anyone know of colder or wetter ones?

    • Like 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
     Share

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...