Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

June 2019 - One of the worst summer months ever?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
4 hours ago, johnholmes said:

Not completed all my stats just yet but the 2nd wettest June with 106.9 mm only 2007 with 136 being wetter

Temperature wise 0.5 C below my average from 1997-2019 (inc), and only the 6 th coldest mean value so well away from the coldest. This was 1997 and 2001 both  with 14.4 C mean temperatures

Interesting John, what was your take on the month as a whole across England? comparable to 2007/2012. It really seems however poor a spring/summer month of recent times we just don't seem to get a 'cold' month.

Posted

I wasn't there but the stats seem to suggest that a very unpleasant month made a break for mediocrity and ended up just plain weird with its almost record heat tacked on at the end. It was a month that had a little of everything and a lot of rain. 

Posted
3 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Interesting John, what was your take on the month as a whole across England? comparable to 2007/2012. It really seems however poor a spring/summer month of recent times we just don't seem to get a 'cold' month.

Not sure to be honest, there were regional variations in both rainfall and temperature. I'll wait until I see the actual results.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Got to be one of the worst for me - the incessant rain at the beginning, and the cool weather and real lack of sun throughout. A couple of hot days at the end doesn't really save it....it's right up there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

Got to be one of the worst for me - the incessant rain at the beginning, and the cool weather and real lack of sun throughout. A couple of hot days at the end doesn't really save it....it's right up there.

Maybe its different where you live but 2012 was shocking here,worse than this year.There were also many poor ones in the 80s,particularly 1982 and 1987 and not forgetting the 12.1 cet 1991 which will make this year feel tropical!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

The first half of the month would definitely be right up there with the worst here but the second half wasn’t too bad as it was drier and sunnier. Apart from the last few days the temperatures were disappointing throughout though. Overall though hardly a memorable month that’s for sure. 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1

Posted

One of the worst summer months ever? For me no because there would have been worse through history.

June 2013 had a lower CET maximum than June 2019 for instance.

Rainfall wise, there have been wetter, it won't be that far off June 2016 rainfall totals not sure about sunshine yet but I suspect June 2012 was worse.

For a summer month to be described as one of the worst, it has to be cooler, duller and wetter than average trending towards the extreme.

Does June 2019 fit that category? Not, IMO.  It was a poor summer month overall though.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

For a summer month to be described as one of the worst, it has to be cooler, duller and wetter than average trending towards the extreme

Not for some on here...okay maybe in different regions there might have been more continuous rainfall, cloud and cold temperatures so opinions will vary, personally i'd say 2012 was worse particularly the second half. June 2019 started warm/very warm for the first 2 days and the last 5 or so days was fairly sunny with temps increasing and only 1 working week I'd say was 'extreme' in terms of cold temperatures and rainfall but hey! even December 2010 had it's milder days with some sun...

So overall I'd agree with you.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
37 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Not for some on here...okay maybe in different regions there might have been more continuous rainfall, cloud and cold temperatures so opinions will vary, personally i'd say 2012 was worse particularly the second half. June 2019 started warm/very warm for the first 2 days and the last 5 or so days was fairly sunny with temps increasing and only 1 working week I'd say was 'extreme' in terms of cold temperatures and rainfall but hey! even December 2010 had it's milder days with some sun...

So overall I'd agree with you.

i would take everything with a pinch of salt on here..as mentioned before people have a tendency to exaggerate the actuality..something i have noticed as growing trend on this forum over the last few years..or maybe i'm exaggerating  

• Like 1

Posted

June in Yorkshire was considered very poor simply because everyone's central heating kept coming on. It was cool and grey with lots of spotting rain or drizzle - just what you need to make your house cold - aided by a tendency towards a steady light breeze. I did not run mine on thermostat like many, preferring to switch off and "boost" for an hour as required. I boosted numerous times morning and night but was surprised when I had to boost a few times through the day, such as on the 11th when we reached only 12.2C and somewhere set an all time record for a low high, and on the 13th we had no daytime high as such since the temperature fell to a LOW of 10.6C in mid afternoon. Given it was mostly grey, damp, cool and breezy and we only managed dinner on the terrace once that I recall, it's one of the worst June's I can remember. Statistics can't always pin down how cold you feel if you are getting a chill inside your home! Also, I like to cycle through the day and sunny spots were few and far between so I made a few cloudy runs in a fleece. I should be getting a good sweat on this time of year - not catching a chill as I stop for coffee.

I can't link to weatherbell's UK June map yet but it showed Gloucestershire/Shropshire/Dorset area were below average (v 1981-2010), as were the Scottish Highlands. Temperatures were close to average down the central and eastern areas and there was a small pocket above average down the coastal edge of  East Anglia, so a whisker below average for the UK as a whole. A very average month then, which just shows how temperature averages can greatly mislead. We feel a lot more than just temperature.

Edited by Aleman

Posted

It wasn't a good month, but certainly not anywhere near the worst. Here:

Mean Temp: 14.1C (+0.0C)
Rainfall: 68.4mm (116%)
Sunshine: 154hrs (84%)

Nothing compared to a June as recent as 2012:

Mean Temp: 13.6C (-0.5C)
Rainfall: 112.2mm (189%)
Sunshine: 115hrs (63%)

The first half of June 2019 was pretty dire admittedly, but in the second half we had a mean of 14.8C, 109hrs of sunshine and only 14.6mm of rain. Not too bad really.

Edited by reef
  • Like 2

Posted

I’d say June 2019 was disappointing but not exceptionally so. It wasn’t anywhere near as bad as 2007 or 2012. The first three weeks were poor nonetheless but was saved by quite a nice last week. In my records since 1994 June’s of it was the joint sixth with 2015 coldest behind 2012, 1998, 2011, 2001 and 1999 . Eighth wettest behind 2017, 2007, 2012, 2016, 2002, 1998 and 1997. But the fifth sunniest behind 2006, 2018, 2010 and 2003. So it wasn’t in any way a record breaking month. The unsettled theme was always a notable feature in the first three weeks. We didn’t have many days with prolonged rainfall or lots of dull weather but a lot of days that started off poorly but then turned out into a decent afternoon. Only the last week seen any settled weather.

The first three days of July have been almost completely sunny and rather warm just a tad windy at times so fingers crossed for a decent July, no rain either :).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

the point about rainfall is that it was heavy for 6 days... we have enjoyed more sunny warm dry days. we might have had double or more the expected rainfall, but in only 6 days doesnt make it a wet month... after all, if we had rain every day, but light/moderate rain that only delivered the normal june total, wouldnt that be a 'wet' month as opposed to having 6 wet days with a lot of sunny dry weather the rest of the time?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 12/06/2019 at 12:43, SunnyDazee said:

The weather in Wigan has been all of that, without the hot start of June. I went for a birthday meal and I had to wear a thick jacket. It was about 17 degrees and overcast. I think people obviously use perspective of where they live and I can see why some people in East Anglia say it’s not been that bad for example, but that’s not the case for the entire country and the north and Midlands in particular. Wigan was 10 degrees yesterday. If I told you the weather was 10 degrees and asked you to guess the month you’d not shout June would you? I think this month has been worse than both June 2007 and June 2012 here so far. This morning is the first day without heavy rain so far since this time last week (and we have a weather warning in place so I don’t think that’ll hold). Even when it hasn’t rained the sun hasn’t been out. I’d love to see the sunshine hours presently. 

An old post I know but 17 degrees is hardly winter jacket weather, come on. I was on holiday in Barmouth in Wales and it was cloudy and windy with that temp and I saw people in shorts and t-shirts. Some people are too soft.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
5 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

An old post I know but 17 degrees is hardly winter jacket weather, come on. I was on holiday in Barmouth in Wales and it was cloudy and windy with that temp and I saw people in shorts and t-shirts. Some people are too soft.

I’ve seen people wearing shorts in the middle of winter but on a 17C day in summer most people will definitely be wearing jackets, especially if it’s overcast, though not winter coats.

Edited by cheese

Posted
19 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Well I’ll tell people how soft they are when they can’t handle temps of 26c-30 degrees between June and August. 

Loving the current bank holiday weather and gladly take this over 17-19 degrees when I would be wearing a light jacket(not a winter one).

I think some people on here like yourself, expect everyone to tolerate the 10-17 degree temp range during months when it should be much warmer than that.

I get fed up of having to endure poor weather in the May to August period, when it’s mostly damp, cool, cloudy, windy during most other times of the year.

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, cheese said:

I’ve seen people wearing shorts in the middle of winter but on a 17C day in summer most people will definitely be wearing jackets, especially if it’s overcast, though not winter coats.

Those folk wouldn’t last 5 minutes in 25-30c days for a week or two in Spain

• Like 1

Posted
21 hours ago, cheese said:

Depends on how much sunshine there is, depends on wind speed, and what the weather been like before etc. I think it also depends on where you live. Different parts of the UK seem to have different tolerance levels to cold/heat.

I’ve been to lots of different parts of the UK but I’ve noticed that round here where I live most people seem to be very cold-blooded/dress warmer for the weather compared to other places. I see quite a lot of people (especially women) wearing winter coats in summer here whenever there’s a bit of rain or it’s below 20c. I always wonder how on earth these people survive in winter. I’ve also seen lots of people complaining that it’s too cold/too wet when I’ve thought it isn’t too bad. Yet go to the north east and you see people wearing t-shirts when it’s 12c, thick cloud and a cold sea breeze. That would never happen in Lancashire. Why this is I don’t know why. I can only think that a lot of Lancashire folk must be softies.

I was on holiday in Barmouth in Wales last week and the temp was 17c most of the time with a chilly breeze of the sea. I was in a light jacket (except on the last night when it was a lot warmer) and I saw lots of people in t-shirts and shorts or hoodies and shorts etc with just the odd person in a winter coat. Yet if we had the same conditions round here there would be a lot more people in winter coats and normal jackets and maybe one or two people in a t-shirt or shorts.

Don’t get me wrong, I have seen and met a few people round here who were/do wear shorts/light clothing in the winter. But they get talked about all the time. There was one guy who used to be into walking and he nearly always wore shorts even in winter. At his funeral, they even mentioned it several times.

I just don’t get why anyone would need a winter jacket at what is almost room temperature, especially when you factor in the heat produced by your body when walking. I’d be sweating buckets.

I remember it was 11 degrees and heavy rain on one afternoon in June and I was outside wearing a hoodie and a t-shirt and I felt absolutely fine, just like a mild winters day really. In fact I quite enjoyed my walk on the canal as I had it all to myself.

Posted
8 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Well I’ll tell people how soft they are when they can’t handle temps of 26c-30 degrees between June and August. 

Loving the current bank holiday weather and gladly take this over 17-19 degrees when I would be wearing a light jacket(not a winter one).

I think some people on here like yourself, expect everyone to tolerate the 10-17 degree temp range during months when it should be much warmer than that.

I get fed up of having to endure poor weather in the May to August period, when it’s mostly damp, cool, cloudy, windy during most other times of the year.

I'm not expecting anyone to appreciate 10-17 degree temps in summer, I too prefer it to be warmer than that at this time of year. But I think it's silly when I see people wearing thick coats designed for much colder conditions at 17°, at what is nearly room temperature. It just comes across as soft in my opinion.

As for heat, I don't really like anything above 25°. I am acclimatised to the chilly and damp climate of Lancashire so when we get days like we've had this bank holiday weekend I melt lol. 30° is okay for a day or two in July as a once a year  Spanish plume, couldn't be doing with it all year round though.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
26 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I'm not expecting anyone to appreciate 10-17 degree temps in summer, I too prefer it to be warmer than that at this time of year. But I think it's silly when I see people wearing thick coats designed for much colder conditions at 17°, at what is nearly room temperature. It just comes across as soft in my opinion.

As for heat, I don't really like anything above 25°. I am acclimatised to the chilly and damp climate of Lancashire so when we get days like we've had this bank holiday weekend I melt lol. 30° is okay for a day or two in July as a once a year  Spanish plume, couldn't be doing with it all year round though.

17 years ago I worked in the desert part of Southern California and it was pretty much hot and sunny every day - so much so I hardly recall seeing clouds during the entire Summer! Temps were high 30s to mid 40s with night temps rarely getting below 28C. I got bored of it as I enjoy variety, the locals joked to me that you did not need a weather forecast at that time of year. Humidity was quite low as it was a desert but it doesn't offset the extremely high temperatures - so despite low humidity it's still baking hot. You needed air conditioning at home or it would have been like living in a green house. 

• Like 2